Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: bush stalking pigs

We get pigs on the trail camera's moving about at all times Day and night, shot the odd one too.

They got wicked hearing as well . I always respect a hunter that gets a pig while stalking . Unfortunately a trait I don't have

Sent from my SM-J200Y using Tapatalk
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Quote Originally Posted by Munsey View Post
    They got wicked hearing as well . I always respect a hunter that gets a pig while stalking . Unfortunately a trait I don't have

Sent from my SM-J200Y using Tapatalk
    Normally no where as good as a deer thou. I dont know how many times ive been hunting with dogs and they gone away on a pig (before the days of radio tracking) and we been wandering looking for them and making quite a racket pushing though scrub and at times talking away and walked into pigs that had no idea we were there. Bush stalking deer ive shot a few, often if the pigs busy rooting or the like you can walk right up to them even if you just bashed your way though the tight stuff.
    Different story if they smell you, they off and dont stop. Smaller pigs eye sight are very poor and ive been standing 20 feet from smaller pigs and they looking straight at you and if you dont move they just carry on with there business. Bigger pigs tend to pick you out better and will bolt. Deer most of the time know im there while bushstalking and more times than not are looking at me wondering what the movement is or whats made the noise.
    Every pig ive shot had no idea i was there and often walked onto them at close range and they still had no idea. Smell pigs are on top of the game, all other sences they crap unless they aware somethings up

Quote Originally Posted by allister View Post
    So are they out during the day or quite nocturnal? I guess it depends on the pressure they get.
    I have seen them on the move at all times of the day, they are very transient so they may have been here yesterday but may not be here tomorrow. The only one's I have shot are ones that have got in front of me before I reach a deer

Hamish

Hamish

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk
    Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz

Thanks for all the tips and advice. Laid up with the flu at the moment but hope to get back out there next weekend.

The hump track area......One presumes it gets busy at times ?

Years ago in the early seventy's where the Wairaurahiri river came out by the sea. The bush around that coastal track was very pleasent to hunt in and there was some very up close pig hunting to be had.

But that was then.....Whats it like now ?

Hey allister I know this is an old thread but how did you get on? I’m new to hunting and am awaiting my license to get out, but would also like to bang a few pigs without the use of dogs.

Hey bud, what do you class as the upper Mataura?