Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Canada/USA hunt assistance/advice

Applies Lead Liberally rogers.270's Avatar

Canada/USA hunt assistance/advice

Hi there,

Not the first time ive asked for advice on this and got some help last time from a few of you ---- sadly due to change in circumastances and poor admin on my behalf i lost details

I would appreciate any assistance/direction in teeing up a hunt in either usa or canada for a mule deer, elk not off the cards either

Any reccomendations would be helpful - not really wanting to blow out re cost either so more basic the better

Cheers
    Addicted to gun powder

R93
    When are you wanting to go?

I am guiding over there next year for a few months. Hope to get a few tags for my efforts. I am only interested in moose, whitetail and mule deer. I can hunt pretty cheap as a non resident if I get tags. I should know a bit more about the ins and outs and cheap options after I get home.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Blaser, Crwadj and Zamkiwi like this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Non resident regulations and therefore costs vary state to state. I would narrow down what states you can afford to hunt in and go from there. I know some are ridiculously expensive.

You will need to let us know where you are expecting to go and what time of the year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If you learn to laugh at yourself, you will never be left unamused.

@R93 going all the way to the states for whitetail....

Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    you can hardly call NZ whitetail real trophy stuff although, have seen a few decent ones out of the greenstone/caples

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    Canada. Fair chase, 120kg monsters.
    Not the usual malnutritioned handbags we get on the island😆

I won't ever hunt the mainland herd unless it gets healthy again.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    rogers.270 likes this.

Ejected
    When you make it up here @R93 I'll be keen, will even give you some free accommodation and breakfast in California and let you be little spoon
    R93 likes this.

We have good whitetails in North Missouri but not so much where I am in the south. If you come up through the Midwest and have time we will get you on some coyotes, coons, pigs etc.

Bow season here mid September to mid January
    Rifle is 2 weeks in November
    Alternative methods two weeks after Christmas.
    Pengy likes this.

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by Nibblet View Post
    When you make it up here @R93 I'll be keen, will even give you some free accommodation and breakfast in California and let you be little spoon
    Being the little spoon is certainly hard to resist. But at this stage, I will be going straight to work for a mate in Canada.
    I will have little time to myself but hope to use what I have wisely, to gather info and make a plan for the following year.

I plan to buy a rifle and leave it there and take time the following year to hunt for myself. I am only interested in a Yukon moose and a whitetail from Alberta /Saskatchewan. Maybe a blackltail if I can wangle it.
    It will all be new and a chance to learn. Hopefully I will be able to gather valuable information I can pass on to hunters back here that are interested in doing the same thing.

Blaser and Sideshow like this.

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    Being the little spoon is certainly hard to resist. But at this stage, I will be going straight to work for a mate in Canada.
    I will have little time to myself but hope to use what I have wisely, to gather info and make a plan for the following year.

I plan to buy a rifle and leave it there and take time the following year to hunt for myself. I am only interested in a Yukon moose and a whitetail from Alberta /Saskatchewan. Maybe a blackltail if I can wangle it.
    It will all be new and a chance to learn. Hopefully I will be able to gather valuable information I can pass on to hunters back here that are interested in doing the same thing.

I'll be keen to meet you up there.

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by Nibblet View Post
    I'll be keen to meet you up there.
    I was kidding about liking the spoon idea😆

I do not know what my travel plans will be to get there as i dont book it. But yeah we should keep in touch. As I said I might not get a hunt in my first trip.
    I was going to take an extra week to catch up with family and hopefully a Leafs game or 2 even if I have to fly out east to Ontario.

Ejected
    I was kidding about liking the spoon idea��

I do not know what my travel plans will be to get there as i dont book it. But yeah we should keep in touch. As I said I might not get a hunt in my first trip.
    I was going to take an extra week to catch up with family and hopefully a Leafs game or 2 even if I have to fly out east to Ontario.

When you get closer to the time let me know what your plans are, I'm pretty flexible and would be keen on an adventure up in the yukon/arctic circle etc especially as I'm in cali for the next 3 years. . It's on my bucket list and should have gone when I was in Alaska.

Even if the only hunting is shooting them with a camera I'm more than happy.
    Blaser and R93 like this.

Applies Lead Liberally rogers.270's Avatar
    When are you wanting to go?

I am guiding over there next year for a few months. Hope to get a few tags for my efforts. I am only interested in moose, whitetail and mule deer. I can hunt pretty cheap as a non resident if I get tags. I should know a bit more about the ins and outs and cheap options after I get home.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    @R93 cheers for the detail, oct-november ideal time to get there or anywhere required, need to know process of tag application and a good contact to host us
    Addicted to gun powder

I'm originally from Kansas but now Taupo based. Have contacts there, Colorado, Montana, Alberta and a few other places. Happy to chat over PM for additional details.