Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree69Likes

Thread: Canterbury deer hunting spots?

You don't even need a gun I here because of all the shaking of late there all lying out cast ready to be vacuumed packed for the ride home to the fridge
    Ryan_Songhurst likes this.

Spring grass near a bush edge is where you find them,1st and last hour of day light.

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    I cant take this seriously, Canterbury is over run with deer, do some leg work yah lazy bastard
    Not just Canterbury... I saw over a dozen driving home from hunting last weekend; that's on top of what I saw hunting!

But in response to the original question. There's never been, in my lifetime, as many deer as there is today. Hunting isn't like a video game, you can't just turn it on and get stuck in... you need to do some leg work!

I'd start up any of the APNP rivers, walk up set up a fly camp and hunt the creeks. Should be some growth about and where's there's tucker there's deer.

My personal method is to find feed and then glass. Deer move around and are hard to see sometimes, don't give in; look, look and look some more. They appear out of no where, usually just as it's getting dark. You can't buy 30 years of experience and you can't learn it via the internet, just get out there and be patient.

As I've said here many times, every deer you shoot gets easier.

Have you joined the local NZDA branch? Always a great start...

And good luck.
    Tahr, veitnamcam, nor-west and 6 others like this.

Heaps of green stuff now this season.
    NZDA in chch has trips most mths.

A lot of flak for what may have been an honest question I can't help with specific spots down there but I would suggest the spot x book. It is a fantastic resource for someone starting out.

As craigc mentioned above, it's a great time to be a deer hunter. These are the golden years! Get amongst it
    mikee likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Pointer View Post
    A lot of flak for what may have been an honest question I can't help with specific spots down there but I would suggest the spot x book. It is a fantastic resource for someone starting out.

As craigc mentioned above, it's a great time to be a deer hunter. These are the golden years! Get amongst it
    Yes, get the spot x book and go hunt some of those chamois they seem to think are all over Mt Taranaki
    matagouri likes this.

Every author is allowed a private joke or two
    Gibo and TianBotha like this.

Park up at the waimakiriri bridge on the canty side and head up the true right past turkey flat. Take some bino's get the wind right and you'll see some deer.
    7mmsaum and Pointer like this.

sneakywaza I got
    Ok, now all we're gonna get is gunfight at the Anti Crow corral.........
    nor-west likes this.

Race ya there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seriously there's some shit attitudes on here. Pay it forward. Not the best way to ask agreed. If you can't shoot a deer at this time of year in this day and age with so many around then best take up dress making or patch work or something. Myself and another forum member took a fella out from here 2 years or so back. Not wanting to take him to any of my regular spots I looked at the topo map found a likely looking river flat a few hours walk from a road end and guess what ? We returned with venison.
    Pointer likes this.

Shit attitudes? How so? If someone wants to come on here and ask for some tips or someone to take them under their wing then that's all and well but there's too many first time posters that basically expect GPS co ords for where they can find a deer. Let's pretend there is no internet, so you walk into a local watering hole and rock up to the first likely looking fella and ask them "where can I shoot a deer?" ... you're gonna get told where to go (not where the deer are!) Really the proper way to do it would be to introduce yourself, start up some conversation, and approach the subject with some form of tact. I offered to take the author of this thread out and have not heard back as much as a peep.

I agree with Nathan F, no need to get precious about giving advice. Ryan you must drink at the wrong pubs.

The thing I have found in over a decade of various NZ hunting forum usage, is that they often don't take your advice anyway. I fact I have two forum members that regularly message me now about places, and I give honest and accurate info to them because A. They probably won't go there anyway, just look at in on Google Earth, and B, because they don't get out to these places they don't develop the required skills to make a trip to these places productive.

Let the info flow, if it gets someone off the couch and into the bush then it's a positive outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    Shit attitudes? How so? If someone wants to come on here and ask for some tips or someone to take them under their wing then that's all and well but there's too many first time posters that basically expect GPS co ords for where they can find a deer. Let's pretend there is no internet, so you walk into a local watering hole and rock up to the first likely looking fella and ask them "where can I shoot a deer?" ... you're gonna get told where to go (not where the deer are!) Really the proper way to do it would be to introduce yourself, start up some conversation, and approach the subject with some form of tact. I offered to take the author of this thread out and have not heard back as much as a peep.
    Good for you. Im sure after making a fantastic offer some good karma will come your way . Have a great Christmas.

Maybe @Pointer and @Nathan F, you guys could start your own thread " Pointer and Nate's Top secret deer hunting spots" you know, throw a few GPS co ordinates up for the blokes that are too lazy to get out there and take a look, I might even be keen to tag along on one of these hunts and pull the trigger for them too
    Pop Shot likes this.