Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By JoshC

Thread: chamois hunting?

chamois hunting?

for a while now iv been wanting/trying to get my first chamois and being from the north island makes it a bit harder than normal. i have been on a few solo trips into the nelson lakes high country looking for them but am yet to even spot one let alone shoot one so im starting to get to the stage where i thought i might need some help form someone who knows what they are doing to show me what kinda country etc to look at. are there people that do this kind of thing?

You could try Cory Nelson Hunting - Guided Fair Chase Big Game Stag Hunting in Nelson, New Zealand - Nelson Guided Hunts with Cory Schroder - your only unfair advantage against the game

Cham are fairly low numbers in most of Nelson lakes, I would be heading down the coast if I really had my heart set on one.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    You could try Cory Nelson Hunting - Guided Fair Chase Big Game Stag Hunting in Nelson, New Zealand - Nelson Guided Hunts with Cory Schroder - your only unfair advantage against the game

Cham are fairly low numbers in most of Nelson lakes, I would be heading down the coast if I really had my heart set on one.
    yeah i heard they were in low numbers up there but as i was staying in nelson during the chances i had i opted to go up there. i have thought about the west coast as well but im still unsure of where to look etc.

that guy says hunt on private land/price per animal shot, not keen on farm hunts and paying for each animal i want to get up into the real deal. not picky much eh?? haha

I don't see them that often either in the spots I frquent in Canterbury . Not enough to send anybody out for one .
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

K95
    Camp at Franz Josef or Fox for a week and hunt every river and creek that looks big enough to fill in a day and you will shoot chamois.
    Alex Knob track, The creeks over the Fox hills, Fox glacier itself, Mt Fox track, Cook river, Copland river, Karangarua river.
    "Treat the Earth well. It was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children.”

If you are there again one spot i have heard of them being seen by a number of people recently is here.

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1414786643813.jpg
Views: 1003
Size:  37.0 KB

Last one I layed eyes on was here.

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1414786706837.jpg
Views: 1013
Size:  30.5 KB

that whole area is about to get the green rain, not sure how effective it is on the Cham ?

Sorry about photo of screen i haven't worked out how to do a screen shot on the laptop.

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Sorry about photo of screen i haven't worked out how to do a screen shot on the laptop.
    press "print screen" button, paste into "paint" and then save and upload. Your method is faster
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

would there be snow on the west coast/nelson lakes high tops in late feb / early march?

R93
    Unlikely but can be a hard time of year.
    You are more likely to catch deer way up past chamois country that time of year.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

K95
    Once you get to about 1700m there is often permanent patches of ice and snow. It can be unbelievably hot during December, January and February and so chamois are found on the shaded side of the hill lying on any snow they can find.
    I always pack a small lightweight axe and instep crampons for any tops trip after chamois or tahr around Franz and Fox. Just enough to get across small patches.

There is always plenty of country to hunt without needing to do anything dicey.
    "Treat the Earth well. It was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children.”

If ya ever heading south, ie queenstown let me know. I'll take you to get one/see one.
    veitnamcam and Munsey like this.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshC View Post
    If ya ever heading south, ie queenstown let me know. I'll take you to get one/see one.
    hell yes im definately keen for that thanks mate

I shot one at okiwi reserve kaikoura 2 weeks ago