Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Deer / goat / sheep shit for dummies ;)

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Kokako, I need to ask what you were doing taking a photograph of that when the deer must have been so close?
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

The DOC land this photo was taken on is closed over Summer, so it's a good time to check out what is around.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by kokako View Post
    The DOC land this photo was taken on is closed over Summer, so it's a good time to check out what is around.
    Fantastic
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

ebf
    yeeeha, found some droppings today

Name:  IMGP0147.jpg
Views: 1114
Size:  97.4 KB

Name:  IMGP0148.jpg
Views: 1457
Size:  180.8 KB

red deer or sika ?

most of the droppings had a "dent" in them. hard and black, so not fresh, but its bone dry at the moment, so guess the droppings dry out faster too.

lots of the right kind of vegetation in the area... worth having a look early morning I think
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

Sorry ebf only eat reindeer poo at Xmas. My grand kids give it to me and think I'm discussing, raisin them right.

Name:  312483_497889480248673_1997381662_n.jpg
Views: 607
Size:  58.9 KB
    Wirehunt, Dead is better and Toby like this.
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

Why bother getting hung up on shit? Personally I dont really like the taste of it so dont really bother looking for it other than what I see in general observation. Spend more time looking for animals and less time looking at your feet and at shit and you will see what type of critter left said shit....

I s'pose walking slowly and looking down constantly, you'll decrease your hunting speed. That will make you less noticeable and less of a threat if one does see you. Plus if you're not seeing any scat then you know that area isn't worth wasting time on.

2 ways to hunt i spose. moving quickly to cover more ground / or taking time to make the most out of the ground you have. I'm the latter because i'm fat and lazy. Plus that's how i always hunted with a bow in QLD. I spearfish like that too. Just drop down and curl up in a hole. Gets me more fish than the skinny dudes - but i do get the odd kina spine in my ass

ebf
    Wow, forums are just amazing

I initially posted asking for photos to differentiate between deer, goat and sheep shit. But no-one has actually posted any pics of goat or sheep shit yet... Tx to the few who did put up pics of deer droppings.

But hey, now we get people making all kinds of assumptions on the way I supposedly hunt...
    Wildman reckons I am hung up on shit, dude is up with your fixation on tasting it ?

Like Eebees said a while ago, where there is shit, there should be tracks. Pls explain this to me, are the tracks not also on the ground, right where the shit is ? Do you somehow see the tracks from further away than the droppings

I would suggest asking for pics of shit is somewhat of a fixation?

No-one has told you the difference because often there is none. It all varies so much on diet and individual animal that the lines between species are blurry. Actually spotting the animal tells you much more than shit ever will, hence my suggestion to spend more time looking for them rather than at shit. Anyway shit only tells you where the animal has been, not where it is...

And remember assumptions are usually made because there isn’t enough information given to start with.
    Digit likes this.

ebf
    Naa, assumptions are made coz someone can't be bothered to ask a clarifying question. I have no control over what types of assumptions people will make

And hey, I'd rather have a fixation with photos of it than with tasting it, whatever blows your hair back

Quote Originally Posted by ebf View Post
    yeeeha, found some droppings today

Attachment 7476

Attachment 7477

red deer or sika ?

most of the droppings had a "dent" in them. hard and black, so not fresh, but its bone dry at the moment, so guess the droppings dry out faster too.

lots of the right kind of vegetation in the area... worth having a look early morning I think
    Good. You say there is the right vegetation so I guess you mean for feed like broadleaf and stuff. So, you are in a feed belt and that's a good place to hunt. The droppings look like they are from a this year's fawn. That's my guess. In this dry they could be only days old. So that means that there are deer in the area (which is a good start for where you live). I wouldn't expect to see prints in this weather. Its too dry. You might find them around creeks and seeps though.

You have to just make some guesses and assumptions based on what you observe in the bush, and go with them. Nothing is definitive. If something doesn't work, test some new assumptions. If they work, store them in your memory gland because deer are seasonal and predictable once you get to understand their comings and goings.

Go back there early (or late), and have a mooch around. Moist gully heads in that feed area should be good. Get to the right height and sidle through them, don't go up and down.

Good on you for looking at shit. A good hunter observes everything that is going on and makes good decisions based on the sum of it all.

Cheers
    Last edited by Tahr; 26-02-2013 at 05:00 PM.

ebf
    Yup 5 finger and 7 finger.

Moist gully head nearby Will go have a look-see around sunrise, tx Tahr

Sniper likes this.

Hey ebf can you post up the photo of the weird poo we found the other day?
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.