Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: dogs chasing deer.

If you were any where near whakamaruma , its common. There is a local up there that uses dogs to chase down deer all the time. ive come across him and his dogs several times and having talked to other hunters up there hes not to popular. In my view its not on and i wouldn't have much time for any one that I found doing it, including there dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by nelpop View Post
    If you were any where near whakamaruma , its common. There is a local up there that uses dogs to chase down deer all the time. ive come across him and his dogs several times and having talked to other hunters up there hes not to popular. In my view its not on and i wouldn't have much time for any one that I found doing it, including there dogs.
    Same individual that I was talking about he lives Katikati way, runs dogs down GPS track lines he has opened up Whaka, Aongatete seem to be the locations he frequents. His dogs need a lead pill to sort the situation out
    57jl likes this.

No this was in the Motu in the 80s no GPS collars in those day and the boys would pack them out with the horses.

Quote Originally Posted by MSL View Post
    With gps collars these days, guys just let their dogs roam for miles. What happens when the get hold of a sow or piglet when your 1km away? The dogs usually just chew it to bits
    Dogs hunted out for miles before GPS collars were invented, only thing now is you have a fair idea where your dogs are. If the dogs catch a small pig at a distance the death is still quicker than 1080.

MSL
    Not everyone's dogs hunt out for miles

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    Isn't it everyone's right to hunt how they choose? Some despise long range, some like it. Some despise bow hunting, some like it.
    What is the difference between a dog dragging down a deer and a foxy chewing up a rat?
    I personally don't like the "dogging" of deer, but I do hunt with a pointer and feel lost if I hunt without him.
    Be aware of eroding the rights of a fellow hunter.
    While I do agree with you, each to their own.
    I also think chasing deer around with 5 dogs would put a lot more hunting preasure on the deer in that area making it harder for other hunters.
    When your actions affect others in a negative way it's never a good thing.
    Gapped axe and 57jl like this.

Not everyone's dogs hunt out for miles
    Never realised how far a pig dog actually travelled until I had tracking collars, it's not how far they hunt but how far they will follow a pigs once they have been disturbed. Myself I prefer close finders but it doesn't always happen that way as the hunting areas become diminished and the hunters increase in number.

Quote Originally Posted by SlowElliot View Post
    While I do agree with you, each to their own.
    I also think chasing deer around with 5 dogs would put a lot more hunting preasure on the deer in that area making it harder for other hunters.
    When your actions affect others in a negative way it's never a good thing.
    That is why he is unpopular with other hunters in the area. Note guys this individual targets deer not pigs and it creates a huge amount of hunting pressure on the deer population.
    SlowElliot likes this.

Kaimais gets dogged hard out all the time, especially all the road ends around Kati/Aogatete. It sucks cause the area is fucked afterwards, I hate people using their dogs to chase down deer but that's the way it goes unfortunately, idiots like that don't stray too far into forest parks anyway so you wont have these problems 1hr from the carpark.

Just to give you a different perspective on the issue:
    Where red deer come from, they used to be chased by wolves and then by humans with hounds for centuries. ( you can check out the legend of St Hubert ). Deer are still chased by hounds , notably in france. Usually the pack is about 30 to 40 hounds of great size, as they have to chase the same stag ( never hinds) up to 7 hours and be able to cover up to 50 km. The hunters usually follow with horses, trying to not interfere with the hounds. The only communication is with the French horn called "trompe".
    No electronics, no gps.
    Deer that are regularly chased on a territory , know perfectly well which of of their mate is chased and they will step aside or move around with out too much worry.
    The chased animal will try to use all kind of tricks to evade the hounds: crossing rivers, back tracking, looping,going through another heard of deer or even through a heard of cattle .
    Over a season a lot of them escape with out getting caught. They get smarter and fitter. And it is possibly one the most natural way of hunting deer by natural selection. The deer that get caught is traditionally finished with a long knife or the same knife put at the end of a Handle and used as a spear. The meat is given to the hounds at the end of the hunt during a ceremony called " la curée".

So I would not worry to much about the issue if it is only a handful of guys doing that with their dogs here. It would have an impact on the population if the dogs are chasing about anything including hinds and fawns. Other wise it would make the deer smarter and harder to hunt which I don't have an issue with.

With gps collars these days, guys just let their dogs roam for miles. What happens when the get hold of a sow or piglet when your 1km away? The dogs usually just chew it to bits
    What about when they hit a stroppy boar??

Tracking gear is used in many differnt ways, by many different people with differnt types of dogs doing many differnt types of hunting. Please do not take the above as gospel, leaving a dog a k away holding a pig at this time of year for half an hour would harm or kill a dog with heat exhaustion. The effort required to get a dog going and / or to get a really good dog is why people invest big $$$$ in this gear! So they know where there dogs are and can get to them as quickly as possible.

Yes dogs kill piglets, possoms, goats, deer, rabbits etc....so do hunters/shooters ...some a lot less cleanly than others, PLEASE let's not start pointing fingers!
    tetawa, tikka and sometimes like this.
    Nil durum volenti !!

MSL
    Definitely not pointing fingers, did a lot of pig hunting when I was younger. The last few guys I have come across have tarnished my view, but I realise there's passionate guys out there.
    stingray likes this.

Spent years with dogs beating all that chased deer theres nothing worse well there is but its still pretty bad having a mutt infect the pac its like a disease with young dogs & its almost always a pointless exercise dog chases deer deer runs runs & runs some more either the dog or dogs get lost or the hunter is sitting on his arse for hours with an itchy trigger finger or a nice bit of alkathene for a repeat offender at best when a dog chases a deer they come straight back a very small consolation would be well there covering some ground ...bet if they come across some pig sigh they look for that instead lol or they turn up on farmland .things are much better with gps but I just carnt see the point in having dogs in nz for chasing deer maybe in matagouri or short scrub where you can see whats going on but neh id be pretty pissy if someone was targeting deer with dogs in my areas...let alone 30 or 40 of them with quad bikes or horses bring up the rear !

I agree with Bonecrusher. We are both talking about the same guy. He has stuffed the hunting in most of the areas that he dogs. He is poaching and has no regard for anyone else that uses the area. As a result of that several people that i know wont hesitate to shoot his dogs if they come across them.
    Im not against useing dogs to point deer or for that matter to find them once they have been shot. There is a lot of hours put in by owners as well skill used to train a dog to do that and the deer have a fighting chance. These is no ethics or skill in what hes doing.

And letting rot what they shot on the water or the surrounding scrubs...