Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree13Likes
  • 7 Post By Sideshow
  • 1 Post By veitnamcam
  • 1 Post By Sideshow
  • 2 Post By Sideshow
  • 1 Post By Sideshow
  • 1 Post By Sideshow

Thread: Drive boar shorting France

Drive boar shorting France

I was lucky enough to once again be invited to take part in a driven boar shoot in France.
    You really can't turn that down opportunity like this.
    Having had no luck last year, we where hoping for a chance this time around.
    We took the truck as the dog had to come as we where going on to Germany.
    I took the shotgun as well as we had some roost shooting for pigeons on the Saturday.
    We have a euro pass that lets us take your firearms across boarders and as we where taking the tunnel it's a very stress free way of traveling.
    A four hour drive had us at the tunnel. Half an hour on the train and we where driving towards Chantilly. Where we would be shooting.
    It's about 40km from Paris.
    Here's the dog hogging the fire on first night at our guest home in Senlis. Attachment 46012Name:  image.jpg
Views: 443
Size:  188.5 KB
    Next morning saw us away at around nine after a French breakfast of croissant and pain au chocolate
    Dude flushed a wood cock straight out of the truck but we had yet to load.
    The shooting was rather hard as there was a fair bit of wind and you needed to shoot between the trees.
    We shot until 11 then it was time for lunch.
    After wards went to have a look at one of the only hunting museum in Europe.
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 415
Size:  188.7 KB
    At around four we once again headed out to try to increase the bag.
    By six we moved on to ducks but a call informed us that the season had ended the weekend before luckily we had yet to shoot anything.
    Our day came to an end with a nice little bag of 21 in some rather testing conditions.

The night saw gale force winds as storm Imogen passed through.
    My host did not think or chances the next day to be all that good as the wind would force the pigs to become rather restless.
    The next day started with us sitting down for a big lunch with some of the guns.
    We then went to give our game licences and insurance numbers to the local game warden. Next came the health and safety briefing.
    This came with a rath comprehensive instruction list on horn signals? Each of us had a brass horn.
    One for warning. ie doc walker rider etc. This is to warn your fellow guns not to shoot.
    Three. Is for boar sighed
    Four is for red hind sighted
    Then there was a whole load of different calls for sow with piglets stags,shot deer,shot boar, you name it you blew for it
    The bag today was red hinds, boar 30kg and up. No sow no piglets, no red stags, spikers or yearling
    fawns.
    We set off to line up around the forestry block as the weather tryed to blow, rain and generally be a right pain in the ass.
    The forestry blocks are big rectangular shaped with all the guns surrounding it on three sides then facing outwards.
    No shots are is to be aimed inside!!! As the beaters are go to be coming from this direction.
    You have to wait until the animals pass you and then try your luck as they go away.
    You must also only shoot at a 30degree angle from the other guns and no more than 70 meters out. Your also stood on a small stand which gives you a little height and so the shot if a miss will go into the ground.
    On the first drive I had a stand at the corner end of the block. There was a main road around 300 meters away, but with my stand and a lot of thick woods my firing zone's where more than safe. A distant long horn blast signalled the start of the drive. With the wind coming from my back I figured that this would be a good spot!
    After around twenty minutes I could hear the little bells of the beaters dogs as well as a few shots and horn blasts.
    You need to learn to put all of this to the back of your mind and focus on what is directly in your area. When they come they don't come slowly and you need to identify not only your target and your firing zone but also weather is a sow or boar.
    Shooting the big sows is really frowned on. I'd also like an invite for the coming years.
    Also it pays to not move. It's very tempting to face towards the block. But then you need to turn and shoot. Plus trying to do all of the above.
    The first half of the drive ended the. The beaters then lined up and went back the other way.
    Just after they had moved off I heard braking from the main road. Then the sound of and animal coming from that direction.
    Soon I saw a red deer moving directly towards me. I lined up the double 8x57 at it over the iron sights and waited till it moved closer. I picked a nice safe spot in which to take the shot and wait till the animal passed through this small opening.
    It paused just long enough for me to make out two bloody horns.
    I gave it the fingers and blew the signal warning the other guns that there was a stag coming.
    It turned and headed away from us through the trees.
    Soon a long horn signalled the end of the drive.

We moved onto the next one which also drew a blank.
    Frustrated the guns and beaters made a new battle plan.
    We lined up for the next drive. Beating near the start my hopes for a shot where not high. So we could once more hear the dogs. Piglets suddenly made a made dash across the sand track where we where lined. Spying around the tree that I had my back to I caught sight of two 80 odd kg pigs moving fast parallel to the gun line and ahead of the dogs.
    Five minutes later looking to my right done the line I watched as a train of pigs burst across the track.
    Lead by a massive sow with piglets in tow boar crossed and shots where soon taken.
    But no horn blast came to signal a hit.
    The drive was not over but it looked as though we where to draw a blank day.
    My host was not going to have that and his little dog baled a boar near some railway tracks but away from the gun line.
    So he shot it with a slug from his shotgun. It weighted in later at around 50kg.
    His dog soon tagged onto another boar that quarted away and he also hammered with a shot that left a rather large blood trail but not boar.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Sideshow; 16-02-2016 at 08:42 AM.

Cool thanks for sharing.

Sent from my SM-G800Y using Tapatalk
    Sideshow likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

We end the day by going back to there club rooms and tucking into some wine, cheese salami and baguettes. Some of the dogs snuck in for a snooze.
    The shot captain then stood and gave a summery of the day. Which is done tongue in cheek.
    We set off the next day for Germany. Which took us around eight hours.
    I took the dog for a run up the woods on getting here and ran into this roe doe and her fawn.

Then after a week her we woke to this lot.

Going to be fun getting back to the UK with this lot on the ground
    I'll post the last of the photos after dinner

Sorry guys but can't seem to get the last of the photos up.
    I also forgot that the last boar was found the next day by there tracking hound.....I was surprised to hear that it was a Dachshund sausage dog?

The boar weighted in over 80kg with luck I'll may get another crack at it next year.
    Good fun and really nice people grate two days.

Had a good 10cm of snow here this morning
    Last edited by Sideshow; 16-02-2016 at 10:30 AM.
    veitnamcam likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow View Post
    Sorry guys but can't seem to get the last of the photos up.
    I also forgot that the last boar was found the next day by there tracking hound.....I was surprised to hear that it was a Dachshund sausage dog?

The boar weighted in over 80kg with luck I'll may get another crack at it next year.
    Good fun and really nice people grate two days.

Had a good 10cm of snow here this morning
    Keep trying with the photos please.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Views: 351
Size:  184.8 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  189.1 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 346
Size:  184.7 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 361
Size:  189.1 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 361
Size:  196.3 KB
    Here are some more pics from the museum
    veitnamcam and Pointer like this.

Views: 336
Size:  178.6 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 363
Size:  184.5 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 356
Size:  191.7 KB
    Here is the two roe and the snow that now looks awesome here in the woodsName:  image.jpg
Views: 324
Size:  210.3 KB
    If someone could please turn them up the right way it would be much appreciated
    veitnamcam likes this.

Gone but not forgotten Gapped axe's Avatar
    thanks for sharing
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

Views: 306
Size:  187.3 KB
    Guess I need to get back next year. They got this last Monday weighed in at 140 kg
    Bugbait likes this.

Hi sideshow. Nice shooting. Just a point, there is more than just the one hunting museum of Senlis.
    There is one at the castle of Gien, there is la maison de la chasse ( the house of hunting) in Paris. And don't forget Leeds with the royal armouries, one of the two buildings is dedicated to hunting if my memory serve me well.