Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: first hunt and hunting etiquette

first hunt and hunting etiquette

New hunter, so new that I don't own a centerfire. Got a permit from DOC for wallabies with a 22 around lake Rotoiti. Tells me where I can hunt. Been 3 times but stayed in the reserve area because of rain and wanted to stay near the car. So first real hunt today planned it all where I was going in, boundaries, features, heading in at dawn ect. Decided to miss dawn raid as I didn't know what the bush was like. So just before 8 am parked up on the verge and headed into the bush (bush right paddock left) got about 20m in and I herd a ute stop. moved to where I could see my car, old guy walks up to my car puts his hands on the roof and starts having a good look inside. I crashed out of the bush, he turns an said aggressively what you doing. I told him. You got a permit he said. He went on to tell me that I should inform him before going hunting. I said I don't know where you live and as far as I know follow that paddock fence line to the stream over the top everything on the right is DOC. You wouldn't be the first I have found on my land. If I hear gunshot I shoot up there to see whats going on. Was worried about my car the rest of the day but was fine. Now should I inform angry farmer when I want to hunt or not. Next question, Saw nothing but a few bits of poop. I realised how little I know about wallabies. Do they go in small groups, solo, or big mobs. The guy I spoke to in a shop said there everywhere you will see them. Am I just useless or am I missing something. Unsuccessful day but was enjoyable spending time in the bush. Live and have worked in rural communities a long time but I don't think I have met a farmer so aggressive.

Was it actually a farmer or someone caught scoping out your car putting on the bulshit cover?
    Dougie and Blisters like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Farmer he told me where he lived and pointed to his driveway.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Hi chindit. Welcome to the forum. You are at the beginning of the learning curve. Don't worry about the old tosser.
    Dougie, mikee and norsk like this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Quote Originally Posted by chindit View Post
    Am I just useless or am I missing something.
    not useless...probably missing something.... if you were useless you wouldnt have even got out there . do some research on what they eat and what there daily habits are this might help you be in the right place at the right time.... and keep going back . alot of successful hunters are successful because they have simply been out there alot . its the little things you start to notice , a sound or smell , a bit of folaige that looks like its been browsed recently that will make you stop and look . you could have walked right past an animal without even knowing that being said check your stalking/walking habits liisten to yourself and see if theres a need to move quieter and slower. all of this is generic and not specific to wobblys cos ive never chased those overgrown aussie rats so i hope its useful , not useless information.. no such word as cant , just havent figured out how yet!
    Dougie, mikee, Beaker and 2 others like this.

How did you react to being confronted aggressively?

I have no idea what it is like up here but I went out for the first time in years in South Canterbury, when I was a kid it used to be a reasonably long day walk, this time it was a 20min walk up a farm track and around to the cold side of the gully looking back at the sunny side. It was light scrub with a few rocks and open grass patches, we just sat and waited, they just hop around doing their thing. This was also late afternoon.

As Scotty said, you could have walked right past an animal and not known it was there. Wobblies are well known for laying down and keeping still if they see you before you see them. I've frequently had them break out from almost under my feet. On the occasions when I've seen them hiding, they'll be laying with their head down on the ground and you'd swear they're a rock or a lump of wood. Cunning little suckers.

I won't comment too much on your confrontation other to say that I'd recommend you make a habit of letting the farmer know if you're heading out. It seems to me he's probably had issues with other hunters before. Next time you go out there try taking time to talk to the guy, ask him questions, get his number and maybe even offer to call before heading out in future... those things go a long way to building better relationships.

And a .22 on DOC land? I thought they frowned on that?
    mikee likes this.

I occasionally deal with them sort through work. But I was aware that I had the firearm. I removed the bolt at the roadside, I was loading the mag when he pulled up. the gun was at my side pointing at the ground ALL the time. I spoke normally and answered his questions refusing to get into any argument. The fact remains why touch my car, the plate IDs the car and owner and if he had just taken the rego number I would have just thought ok and carried on

Sounds like he tried to staunch you out and yeah, if you were where you're supposed to be.. he could pound sand really.

May be that over time he has had a history of Poachers on his land hence tarring you with the same brush.
    Try going to see him without your rifle and have a talk, explain how you are new to hunting and trying to learn on your own. Might just open a door for you. If not then wipe him like a dirty arse - at least you tried

All the best

22 on DoC land???
    Blisters likes this.

22 on doc land is positively encouraged with a purpose built range down here/
    Maybe they allow them if you have a small game permit too .
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Dougie likes this.

Ejected
    Are wallabies included in the small game permit?

Not doubting your permit chindit, just curious as to what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    ..... Probably the same guy you came across. Had a great yarn with him. He had a couple of cattle beasts butchered by some mongrels the previous week. Those sort of problems are ongoing around there, so don't be to hard on the guy.
    Yep, that puts things well and truly into context... great input 7mmwsm.
    mikee likes this.