Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: First Trip

First Trip

Hi guys I'v just had my first adventurous trip to find some deer with no avail... I did manage to loose a range finder and get quite wet! All safe and sound though.

Just wondering if my approach was right?

I was hunting Deer Vally in the Lewis pass range. (Yes the range finder is still up there so if you find it it's all yours)
    I chose this area A:because it had a track leading to the tops so I wouldn't get too lost. B: There were a few what i thought were nice looking head basins. So up hill I slogged. Once I reached the tops about 2:30 I figured deer would still be bedded down so I sat down to glassed numerous deer looking tussock.

I thought the terrain looked right for a Red or maybe a Chamois.

Maybe its the wrong time to hunt the tops?
    WARO could of shot the place up?
    Was it the weather?
    Or are there just no Deer in this part of the range?

hopefully these photo's will show up maybe this just isn't deer country?

Cheers for your help guys
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Toby and initiaz like this.
    Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

I only saw 5 deer and 1 chamois out of those pics. Better luck next time.
    Sniper, initiaz and Feral like this.
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

Good on ya for going and having a look.

I dont know the area.

Its deer country alright,are there any there I dont know but would be surprised if there isnt.

While deer will bed down in tussock 2 30 in the afternoon in the middle of the hottest month of the year would be possibly the worst time to look other than in the middle of the night when its snowing.

With Waro pressure deer will wise up and be close to the bush edge or shot,I dont know if there is any/much Waro pressure there.

Go back and either walk in in the dark and look first light or walk in in the evening and glass/walk/glass till you cant see or do an multi day trip.

Hot weather look into cool gully heads slips etc.
    .375H&H likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Ahh yeah I think I'll be back for a second look hopefully with better weather.

Cheers for the advice Veitnamcam.

Haha Thanks Dundee now i'm going to have to look through these photos again!
    sako75 likes this.
    Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Quote Originally Posted by .375H&H View Post
    Ahh yeah I think I'll be back for a second look hopefully with better weather.

Cheers for the advice Veitnamcam.

Haha Thanks Dundee now i'm going to have to look through these photos again!
    I havent studyed the picks but am fairly sure he is pulling your pisser
    Toby and Scouser like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    I am fairly sure he is pulling your pisser
    No doubt about it VC.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Nice pics
    VIVA LA HOWA

The area you visited gets quite a bit of pressure, but your in the right country, and I guarantee there are animals there. In fact any side creeks in the Lewis are worth climbing into for a look. Time spent behind your binos is what will produce animals.

Focus on guts/gullies coming out of the beech forest. Next time leave earlier, climb to the tops in the dark if possible. You need to be glassing prime country at daybreak or not long after.

In areas where chopper activity isn't huge deer will bed down in the tops so it is possible to hunt throughout the day. Also Chamois, while most active during the mornings/evenings, will still be hopping about the rocks during the day time also.

Next time try and get away from marked trails leading to the tops....people activity will keep animal activity to a minimum. Instead, find a nice leading ridge on a map and follow that up, its likely it will have a deer trail on it leading you to the top anyway.

Sidle through the faces above the bush line glassing as you go, find a nice gully edge on dark, sit back and wait quietly out of immediate view. If nothing shows, camp there for the night and continue in the morning. Saves travelling to and from camp.

Using a GPS, map/compass, getting lost up there is unlikely, unless you're a complete air head. With the main rivers and a road splitting the pass finding your way out is easy enough.

Also, remember that wind shifts downhill in the morning until the sun rises then it shifts uphill. Climbing into valleys from below around mid morning will scent all the country ahead of you, so get up and high early and you'll be sweet.

Too bad about the range finder, I hate losing stuff.
    veitnamcam, Munsey, mikee and 4 others like this.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

What sort of range finder? I know this area, let me know where you left it and if I can find it next trip, I'll flick it to you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    veitnamcam, Munsey, Toby and 1 others like this.

Just rember that you ant going to see animals every time you go out.

Quote Originally Posted by .375H&H View Post
    I did manage to loose a range finder and get quite wet! (Yes the range finder is still up there so if you find it it's all yours)
    If it makes you feel any better I've just spent the last two days flushing my range finder with isopropyl alcohol after drowning it crossing a stream on sunday. Pretty sure it's right f*cked, but I still hold out hope that it might come right in a few more weeks and turn on properly! I hate losing money like that...

First Trip

Next time if you go to that spot, drop down the steep side of the ridge in the evening or very early morning like JoshC mentioned. I believe this spot get a lot of pressure due to the easier access, but they will be there. Bush edges are the key in are area like this.

Be bloody care on that steep side!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Heaps of elixer up there!!

'Clash of clan' players will get it.

All the best on your next trip .375h&h, at least your out there doing it & learning.....you wont get one on your couch....keep at it mate!
    Uplandstalker likes this.
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Quote Originally Posted by Feral View Post
    If it makes you feel any better I've just spent the last two days flushing my range finder with isopropyl alcohol after drowning it crossing a stream on sunday. Pretty sure it's right f*cked, but I still hold out hope that it might come right in a few more weeks and turn on properly! I hate losing money like that...
    Long shot but take out battery and if you can dismantle it and put it in a bowl of DRY rice in the hotwater cupboard. Occaisionally this works and if not well......insurance maybe
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.