Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Goats

Goats

Hi all,

I looked around a new area today and came across to a few different mobs of goats. A few of them looked like they would be a good eating size. However, the area had been dropped with 1080 a few months ago so I'm unsure whether they would be alright to eat. I'm guessing the fact that they were still walking around happily (with the exception of 1 which looked seriously fucked) that they might be alright to eat as they would be dead if they had consumed it?

Cheers for any info.

Omeone mentioned on here that they won't touch 1080
    Cspence likes this.

I've eaten healthy looking goats from 1080 areas with no bad effects. Had the same reasoning that if they'd eaten it they wouldn't look healthy, asked a vet mate and he reckoned it was safe enough too.
    Cspence likes this.

DLW
    Have a look at the liver, I have always been told that's how you tell if a animal is safe to eat
    Cspence likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by GravelBen View Post
    I've eaten healthy looking goats from 1080 areas with no bad effects. Had the same reasoning that if they'd eaten it they wouldn't look healthy, asked a vet mate and he reckoned it was safe enough too.
    I'm told it's harder to get into Vet school than Med school, so
    tetawa and Gibo like this.

Quote Originally Posted by DLW View Post
    Have a look at the liver, I have always been told that's how you tell if a animal is safe to eat
    Always a good place to start, know if you run a sharp knife through liver (or is it a gland) and it feels gritty it could be tb
    Cspence likes this.

Yeah cheers for that. Next time I go for a wander hopefully they'll be there and I'll check them out in more detail.

Does anyone know if it is possible for the poison to cause any deformity? One of them had its head permanently twisted down to the right, its eyes appeared to barely open, it was seriously slow to move and one horn went out to the left whilst the other went straight up, vertically. In comparison to the others it just looked weird as hell. I took some photos but they don't really show much as it was at the max range of my phones capabilities

Birth or genetic defect nothing else, skull will be deformed and it may have had arthritis as a kid. You see similar things in lambs occasionally. Nothing to worry about. The head might be good for a euro mount, weird ones always get comments.
    Cspence likes this.

Or it may have been shot and recovered.

Goats generally aren't affected by 1080. Best follow official caution period of four months after drop before you eat anything form the area.
    blake likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    Birth or genetic defect nothing else, skull will be deformed and it may have had arthritis as a kid. You see similar things in lambs occasionally. Nothing to worry about. The head might be good for a euro mount, weird ones always get comments.
    That was more my thought process initially as well. Just the fact the poison was in the area made me question whether it was a possibility.

Two studies:

https://www.scionresearch.com/__data...KES266_274.pdf shows that IF goats can be tricked into eating 1080 bait, they will die just the same as other mammals.

And http://newzealandecology.org/nzje/1966.pdf shows that it is notoriously difficult to get goats to eat it.

So, if there's goats cruising around in a previously 1080'd area, I'd be happy to take the meat.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
    Cspence likes this.

ive eaten goats shot from an area 1080 was dropped in 3 months beforehand, no worries. But best to be sure so pm me the area and i will do a sample run for you
    tetawa, nzvermin, stretch and 2 others like this.
    Guy Fawks the only man to enter parliament with the interests of the people in mind

Goats are clever bastards, if they're alive there edible.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    Goats are clever bastards, if they're alive there edible.
    They're an amusing mix of surprisingly clever and incredibly dumb.