Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Goats: within 2.5 - 3hrs of Auckland ??

Goats: within 2.5 - 3hrs of Auckland ??

Hi All,

Im really struggling to find anywhere within 2 - 3rs of Auckland,

Just after somewhere to shoot goats every now and then (like everyone else i guess)

It know everyone will robably asking / wanting the same thing but again i just thought i would try my luck

If anyone can help out it would be awesome...

cheers B

I'm sure there's a few old goats driving down the motorway everyday! 2.5-3 hrs makes me feel better bout the 3hr return trip to get any round here

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    oh yeah, is that doc land?

i know Pirongia have them aswell but as im reasonably new to hunting I always feel a bit uncomfortable with going into doc land mainly due to not 100% knowing the best entry points.
    i guess i really just have to 'grow a pair' and just do it...
    dirtyhabit and Steve123 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by BLABLANZ View Post

i know Pirongia have them aswell but as im reasonably new to hunting I always feel a bit uncomfortable with going into doc land mainly due to not 100% knowing the best entry points.
    Have a look on the doc website and use their map to find the areas, then walking access commission to find the nearest public access

Get in touch with @stretch on here as he had some posts up around k gorge that's prob the closest to Auckland going South. But check in with him about what's been 1080d and not too. My own spots taken a bit of a hammering lately in the Waikato but out towards otorahanga traditionally produces a lot of goats and horokiwi. If you're new make sure you have a gps or compass skills as those places are easy to get bushed in...

Talk to DOC Maniapoto, there are quite a few small blocks with numerous goat numbers, but there has also been heaps of 1080.

Quote Originally Posted by BLABLANZ View Post

My suggestion is to indeed just 'grow a pair' and go for a walk with your rifle. I don't mean to sound rude, but if you don't go, you won't know. Until you go look for yourself, you're relying on old (possibly out of date) info on animal presence. I've found goats in the Kaimais, in Coromandel ranges, and in the North Waikato DOC blocks I've tried (haven't tried them all). I haven't tried anywhere further south, but Pirongia and King Country allegedly have higher goat numbers. Again, this is all just hearsay. Even a negative result will help paint a picture of where the animals are or aren't.

Take a look at maps.doc.govt.nz and also the DOC pesticide summaries at http://www.doc.govt.nz/nature/pests-...ide-summaries/ to see which spots are up for poisoning. Look at www.wams.org.nz to see how to access public area, in case it's not obvious from a topomap.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
    Tahr, Carpe Diem and BLABLANZ like this.

Pirongia has just been culled by pro shooters, southern and western side. I used to hunt up there a lot when training my GSP and it was easy to 1-2 dozen a day. All bush hunting

Quote Originally Posted by Chop3r View Post
    Pirongia has just been culled by pro shooters, southern and western side. I used to hunt up there a lot when training my GSP and it was easy to 1-2 dozen a day. All bush hunting
    Tommy and I were planning a trip to SW Pirongia until we found out cullers were to be operating in there at the same time. I'd say it would still be worth a look if they're finished culling. No one but DOC and the cullers have any info on how successful they were, and the fact that it's just been culled is likely to mean most people won't bother, having assumed cullers have wiped out every last animal. Again, if you don't go, you won't know.

You can always go fr a walk without a rifle and take camera and binos, ask anyone you see and landowners about hunting there. But I'd just go for it. It's what I've been doing and no trouble so far

Also spread your net wide, 2 1/2 hours drive from Auckland lands you in Tokoroa thanks to the new expressway.

Quote Originally Posted by stretch View Post
    Tommy and I were planning a trip to SW Pirongia until we found out cullers were to be operating in there at the same time. I'd say it would still be worth a look if they're finished culling. No one but DOC and the cullers have any info on how successful they were, and the fact that it's just been culled is likely to mean most people won't bother, having assumed cullers have wiped out every last animal. Again, if you don't go, you won't know.
    May-June 700

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    May-June 700
    Nice. Was that you?
    Carpe Diem likes this.

Tangihuas just south of Whangarei, plenty in there.

Sent from my SM-G360G using Tapatalk
    Smartie and BLABLANZ like this.
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."