Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 12345678910111213 LastLast
Like Tree341Likes

Thread: Goodbye possums, rats and stoats

Goodbye possums, rats and stoats

Government reveals conservation project with aim to be predator free by 2050 - National - NZ Herald News

• 25 million native birds are killed by pests a year
    • $3.3 billion cost to the economy and primary sector a year
    • $28 million new company to identify large pest control programmes and attract private investment

The Government has revealed what it calls the most ambitious conservation project in the world - exterminating all rats, stoats and possums in New Zealand before 2050.

These predators are now costing New Zealand's economy and primary sector $3.3 billion a year, Prime Minister John Key said this afternoon.

In response, the Government will set up a new joint venture company, Predator Free New Zealand Limited, at a cost of $28 million over four years, to identify large-scale pest eradication projects and attract private investment to boost their reach.

For every $2 put towards pest control projects by councils and the private sector, the Government will contribute another $1.

dreamers
    veitnamcam, R93, tetawa and 4 others like this.

I will be 100yo that year, hope I live to see it. How is it costing 3.3 billion per year ? . I guess it must be if John says, just wondering.

I doubt anyone can quantify how many birds are being killed, does that include byKill?

so they say they are currently spending 80-100mil a year on pest control & aren't winning
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

Like the idea of it but i can't see it working. Culling numbers just increases the food source for the buggers and in 3-4 years time they blow up and you're back at square one. Wouldn't mind seeing what kind of new approach they got to make it happen though

TUI anyone??????

You need to start one or both ends of either island and work you way down/up. Would be possible with enough resources.
    Pointer likes this.

R93
    If they succeed the bastards will start on big game then there will be no reason to have a firearm.
    I guarantee it is part of their agenda.

These deluded green pricks need to eat some 1080 themselves imo. They have no clue as to what they are doing and spending money that will be way more productive, elsewhere. Nz will never be what it was before pakeha arrived. But these stupid idealists still have a say and spend tax payers money by the millions just to fail. When are people going to wake up?

I am not either for or against 1080. But I am against flogging a dead horse with the publics money.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

If they know that 25million native birds are killed by pests each year, what is their figure for native birds killed by 1080 and it's secondary kill, or doesn't that count. Can't believe there is a native bird left with their figures.
    R93, WallyR and Smoking Joe like this.

Quote Originally Posted by stug View Post
    You need to start one or both ends of either island and work you way down/up. Would be possible with enough resources.
    And there are the stumbling blocks. They would never be able to cover the area effectively, instead it will be a little bit here, a little bit there. They will never throw enough resources at it.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    As long as my arse points to the ground when I stand they haven't got a shit show in hell of eradicating all of these pests. As long as there is just one breeding pair of rats or mice for example, they will never get rid of all rats and mice as the little fuckers mate like crazy and produce big litters that mate like crazy and produce big litters ad infinitum.
    tetawa and blake like this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

I wonder which stoned fuckhead dreamed this up.Oh i see private public parteriship .Another gravy train about to be sanctioned by the old boys network of thieves.This sort of fucktardation is beyond belief,
    veitnamcam, R93, tetawa and 6 others like this.

NRT
    What a crock of shit who comes up with those figures .

Lmao and so many people think pest control has nothing to do with big business lol. Just another step in cementing the use of 1080 for years, another step in getting a nice by kill of deer and pigs . This is the start of the end of hunting as we know it. Its a master plan of getting rid of the wild game in nz, as if anyone actually believes that NZ can become pest free are in dream land. They know it, we know it but the whole point is not becoming pest free, its the continue use of poisons, 1080, big business, money, jobs and lining the Goverments pockets. The figures they throwing around what pests are doing and costing is a joke, sadly NZ have many people that have the brains of sheep.
    Lets face it, 60 years of bombing the possum with 1080 has done fuck all apart from breed rat plaques .........its such a joke its not funny
    Last edited by deer243; 25-07-2016 at 07:22 PM.

MB
    Do we need a total rethink? When I look at all the development going on and consequent damage to the environment, I can't get too excited about the NZ pest problem. Yes, they should be controlled, but at what financial and environmental expense?

Can someone explain to me why trout and introduced ducks have prized status as game fish and birds, but deer are a pest?