Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

help!! day chamois hunt?

Good evening all, bit of a sob story and hoping someone would take pity on me haha. So timing isn't working out, I had a family trip planned for me, my twin brother, two sisters, partner and nephew to head to Japan to see the old man for two weeks, as it has been one year since mum passed. Side note they all live in my house. Having paid for all flights and accommodation we were counting down the days, 3 weeks from today. My younger sister has a bowel condition called crohns and for the last week has been in hospital. Its not uncommon for flair ups but this time it was quite bad and now surgery is on the cards in the next week or so. Unfortunately the doctor has said no flying, so this is where things get interesting. We had to cancel the flights to stay in NZ for her surgery. Although losing a bit of money on the flights, we still have a bit of coin, so have planned to take them all down to the mighty South Island. This is where you guys can help me I'm going to travel right the way around the south and while passing down the west coast would like to know if your willing to help point me in the right direction of a good side creek or shortish valley, preferably where chamois are as I have never hunted them or seen any before. Something good for a day hunt, as I wouldn't mind a day or two break from the travel. Any way hope my sob story works haha cheers guys.

Its a bastard that Crohns, ex girlfriend had it and if she happened to eat a seed or skin from fruit etc she would be crying in agony and usually resulted in a trip to A&E, she had several surgerys when she was younger to try and correct it.
    Hopefully someone can sort you out mate, my only advice would be to drive through Arthurs pass, pick a creek on the west side of the township (or east, but west side is easier/quicker access to the tops) and go for a walk up it.
    Good luck with it all, hope your sister gets on top of things and you get to see the old boy sometime soon.

PS: you could drop the family at Maruia Springs in lewis pass for a night and go for a cheeky overnighter, the place is run by a Japanese family and is a great spot to relax. Just an idea. Cheers

Weather dependant (don't get yourself in a sticky situation), the top of Arthurs Pass and Lewis Pass are probably your best bet.

Chamois being chamois they spread themselves out, so any creek, just above the snow line where there is feed and shelter will be fine.

Chris