Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Help ideas for roar April 2016 Hasst area

HI Guys

Would be keen to get some ideas on hunting options/areas for April next year. Two guys looking to make a plan for 10 days next year and get into some nice big southland stags. I have had a great few years hunting in the central north island and now have 4 dear to my name. Its hard when you are based in Whangarei. But have yet to bag a nice stag. The last two roars have been bad. Thanks in advance for any input. Regards John

Well you won't find to many Southland stags around Haast, most of the Hasst area is balloted blocks for the roar, 4 one week periods. the coastal blocks generally have ratty heads, the bigger valleys inland still produce some good heads. Put a ballot in & see how you go.
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

Thanks outdoorlad. Yes I am going to put in a ballot. Flights are booked... 10 days in the south.

Put in a ballot for all areas down here and then plan your trip around that. If you get a block that'll dictate where you're heading, if you don't get a block make a plan from there. Easy.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.