Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: How long should i sit and wait-clements mill

Quote Originally Posted by 2Quack View Post
    Whatever you choose Matt hope it comes good for ya, JetSki woulda been freezing this morning, although the snaps were biting as we were home at 12. Good luck !!
    Nah no luck mate, got out of there before the rain 3oclock ish. Good to hear the fishing was productive!

Quote Originally Posted by 7mm Rem Mag View Post
    Looking at the photo it looks like you are right in the clearing, if that's the case I suggest walking back 200 meters to somewhere you can get a good view of it then wait until dark. Sitting on a good clearing is the only way to go, let them come to you. Good luck!
    About 2m from the bush, not possible to go back any more than a couple meters and still see
    7mm Rem Mag likes this.

Not really any reason for the deer to be on the clearings this time of the year unless it's catching a lot of sun,no edible growth yet,follow the sun this time of year I find,a good recent windfall would be a better option to stake out,the deer can't resist the easy pickings.
    Puffin likes this.

Was fresh tracks through them and new punga shoots etc around so wont be long and id say they would be using them. The weather was turning to shit or id have stuck around longer

Top Member Remington 5R .300 Win Mag's Avatar
    Obviously A Different Planet To The One You Bastards Are On!
    I've been known to sit, overlooking my favourite clearing all day, hugging hot water bottles from 8am to 5pm. Ten to five, four deer appear, take a shot and miss, go home with my front tail between my legs!
    matto1234, Manu, Blisters and 1 others like this.
    "Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten"!

Iv never been one to really sit & wait unless you have a lot of scope distance is your friend , small clearings like that just hit them early or late & carry on iv got a spot that is similar in the season deer sign all over it , I have yet to see a deer on it !! they are on it at night so I hunt the bush around it shot 6 so far this year from the immediate area. if your intent on waiting maybe climb that big tree at the back !.
    Puffin, Zamkiwi, Blisters and 1 others like this.

X R
    The thing with bush clearings is the deer will use them on and off all day long for short periods of time not just morning and evenings, if there is one thing the game cameras have made very evident over the last few years is the deer use them alot more during daylight hours than we think, just a matter of being there at the right time.
    matto1234 and 7mm Rem Mag like this.

I guess with all game there is no real rhyme nor reason to it, they can just be there some times when you least expect it and they aren't there when you think they should be. Everyone has their own opinion due to their personal experiences so some would like to take their chances walking around while others like to sit and wait, I prefer to sit tight and wait as that's how I have had my success and they do just appear during the day as well. Just do what you think is right for you under the circumstances at the time. Cheers and good luck with future hunts.
    matto1234 likes this.
    When hunting think safety first

3hrs is the longest I've sat, do it a lot on the island. Key is too keep movement to a minimun

Ive never found a clearing like that before so have never had to think about it, dont think it would have worked either way. Pissed down at 3pm nothing would be caught out in that. Now that i think about it i did hear something on the way up that sounded like a panting dog but it didnt hang around long and was moving fairly quick. Could have been a deer that heard me coming and was trying to get a whiff?

Quote Originally Posted by matto1234 View Post
    Ive never found a clearing like that before so have never had to think about it, dont think it would have worked either way. Pissed down at 3pm nothing would be caught out in that. Now that i think about it i did hear something on the way up that sounded like a panting dog but it didnt hang around long and was moving fairly quick. Could have been a deer that heard me coming and was trying to get a whiff?
    Sika apparently are quite curious and if spooked and don't know what you are they sometimes circle back and try to cut your wind. So it's possible.

Quote Originally Posted by turtle View Post
    Oh.... you not there still waiting?
    I wish mate