Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

How soon is "safe"?

Hi guys, great new forum!

Back in the winter most of the places I had been exploring around here got a good dose of aerial 1080. I'm reading on DOC's site that 4 months is when the signs come down and 2kn radius is safe for deer. DOC in Greymouth themselves recommended I hold off till February...

I'm a bit confused now.

My thoughts are that the "4 months" and "2km" buffer will have a built in Factor of Safety as the last thing they want is for that stuff to get into any animals for human consumption. If I took a stroll up there and saw animals...what would I look for to see if there were any effects of poison?

Any information from people who actually know or have had personal experience with this would be good as I really don't want to inadvertently poison my family but would like to get some meat in before my mum comes to visit from the UK for Christmas!

Cheers,
    AP

Quote Originally Posted by Rockdoc View Post
    what would I look for to see if there were any effects of poison?
    1st sign is, it would be motionless :grin::grin::grin:

Seriously it would be hard to tell if it had taken a sub-leathal dose or not, but if it is stagering or not looking 100% i'd be in two minds to shoot it.

If you have already nailed it and are still a bit weary about eating the meat, see if you can get it tested somewhere.

Ejected
    Rainfall has a lot to do with it to, and you being on the coast you have plenty of that. Since doc don't target deer :rolleyes: they shouldn't have had high enough concentrations to worry them....

Thanks guys, it is in line with what I thought. Anyway I had a walk this morning and saw nothing, no sign....not a sausage. It was a lovely morning to be out though...and I did spot I monster fish that I'll be after when I next get up there!

Name:  SAM_0119.jpg
Views: 451
Size:  54.1 KB

Name:  SAM_0120.jpg
Views: 484
Size:  53.1 KB

Name:  SAM_0121.jpg
Views: 526
Size:  54.3 KB

Name:  SAM_0122.jpg
Views: 400
Size:  58.0 KB

AP

If your not fast your last Shootm's Avatar
    We hunt a Doc block that gets Green Rain and give it 6 months before going back after a drop.

I Have Sexdaily. I mean Dyslexia! Fcuk!

Epic looking country there mate - amazing.

Long time since I've been up there RD. In the 2nd photo looks like the road has been cut right away or does it now go into the bush?
    Did you cross the river at that 2nd photo? There is a very nice bush clearing across there that used to always hold deer.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Skinny View Post
    Long time since I've been up there RD. In the 2nd photo looks like the road has been cut right away or does it now go into the bush?
    Did you cross the river at that 2nd photo? There is a very nice bush clearing across there that used to always hold deer.
    Cheers
    The track has been washed away but with a bit of luck you could get by...but I wouldn't want to do it pissed in the dark! No I got up that far and the slight headwind had turned to back me so I jacked it in and headed back. I'll be back up there soon I guess and will have a wee poke about on the other side.... There seems to be a fair bit of traffic (foot/bike/quad/4x4) up the track but guess it's recreational or night time with the lamp...
    AP

PM sent Rockdoc

Hi there,
    If you breath air and consume any quantity or 1080 you WILL die. Get a copy of ecocide in NZ by the Graff brothers, your local sports shop should have it of can get it.
    Cheers.