Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Hunter shot Stewart Island

Oh and just so we are sure the source wasn't exactly credible i.e. sutff.co.nz
    GravelBen likes this.
    Sarcasm: lowest from of wit, highest form of intelligence.

I still find it hard to understand how this keeps happening year after year.
    I grew up hunting in the UK where the deer have closed seasons and was taught to positively identify not just that it is definitely a deer, but also the sex and a rough age of the animal before I even thought about raising the rifle.
    Perhaps if more hunters also took this approach then there would be less chance of this happening?!

Good luck this roar and stay safe!

northdude
    theres hunters and then there are shooters some that go out just want to shoot something and others have a specific target in mind and focus on that
    kidmac42 likes this.

Gone but not forgotten Gapped axe's Avatar
    What about the guy who was also shot in Wanganui in the weekend??
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

I think out of respect for the family etc comments should be reserved until facts are known. Speculation does more harm than good
    Still no mention of the Wanganui incident
    zimmer, screamO and Cspence like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    Oh and just so we are sure the source wasn't exactly credible i.e. sutff.co.nz
    FYI it's the Police who issue a press release, with as much or as little information as they choose. Stuff, Herald, etc pretty much just copy and paste the release.

"Fatal" is the standard expression. "Non suspicious circumstances" or"not seeking anyone else" is a euphemism for suicide.

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    Christ, how fucking hard is it to identify your target beyond all doubt.Bloody shame this one and as others have said not even the roar.
    I for one however will not be telling my wife otherwise hunting privileges will be revoked.
    If he is dead, rest in peace hunter.
    Please don't tell my missus OR she'll send me out hunting !

A Real un necessary tragedy....thoughts go out to all those grieving

Police have released the name of a young hunter shot dead on Stewart Island yesterday.

Samuel Phillip Long, 24, of Invercargill, died at the scene when he was shot by another member of a five-person hunting party.

Police said Mr Long was hunting alone when he was shot.

Emergency services were alerted to the incident at 10.15am when Maritime New Zealand picked up a signal from an emergency beacon.

"We located it as being at Stewart Island and DoC [Department of Conservation] notified us of a hunting party in the area," said a rescue co-ordination centre spokeswoman.

A Southern Lakes Helicopters rescue helicopter was dispatched, and local island authorities were also notified, she said.

The helicopter arrived about midday. The beacon was located in the Abrahams Bay area.

Detective Sergeant Grant Johnstone said staff were yesterday speaking to the family of the dead hunter.

An investigation into the incident was ongoing, he said.

It is not known yet whether the victim was shot by a member of the same hunting party.

More details are expected to be released this morning.

tragic

Quote Originally Posted by Kscott View Post
    Police have released the name of a young hunter shot dead on Stewart Island yesterday.

Samuel Phillip Long, 24, of Invercargill, died at the scene when he was shot by another member of a five-person hunting party.

Police said Mr Long was hunting alone when he was shot.

Emergency services were alerted to the incident at 10.15am when Maritime New Zealand picked up a signal from an emergency beacon.

"We located it as being at Stewart Island and DoC [Department of Conservation] notified us of a hunting party in the area," said a rescue co-ordination centre spokeswoman.

A Southern Lakes Helicopters rescue helicopter was dispatched, and local island authorities were also notified, she said.

The helicopter arrived about midday. The beacon was located in the Abrahams Bay area.

Detective Sergeant Grant Johnstone said staff were yesterday speaking to the family of the dead hunter.

An investigation into the incident was ongoing, he said.

It is not known yet whether the victim was shot by a member of the same hunting party.

More details are expected to be released this morning.
    Jesus wept

Yuck, not nice to read, stay safe out there guys. RIP Hunter.
    You know, if you need 100 rounds to kill a deer, maybe hunting isn't your sport.

RIP Sam. Taken too soon. Identify your Fucking target. There is no excuse, out of respect to the family.
    Blaser and Sasquatch like this.

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by deepsouthaussie View Post
    RIP Sam. Taken too soon. Identify your Fucking target. There is no excuse, out of respect to the family.
    I believe he was shot by a family member (Father), but i do agree that there are no excuses for this.

Quote Originally Posted by GWH View Post
    I believe he was shot by a family member (Father), but i do agree that there are no excuses for this.
    I hope your information is incorrect, what a horrible thing that would be to have to deal with.
    Edit: No disrespect intended
    Last edited by screamO; 24-03-2015 at 10:24 PM.