Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Raging Bull

Thread: Hunters reminded to follow outdoor safety code.

Hunters reminded to follow outdoor safety code.

The New Zealand Mountain Safety Council are today reminding hunters to plan and prepare for a safe hunting trip, by following the 5 simple rules of the Outdoor Safety Code after two Labour weekend incidents.

A Dunedin hunter was rescued after separating from his hunting companions and becoming lost in a forestry block near Mosgiel. The man was walking back towards his vehicle when he took a wrong turn which led him away from his destination and deeper into dense bush. After spending the night outdoors and despite continuing to try to walk out, rescuers successfully located him at a logging caravan.

However, concerns are growing for a hunter missing in the Waimana area after he failed to return on Sunday night. Again the hunter had become separated from his hunting companions who raised the alarm and search and rescue teams are continuing to search the area.

‘Unlike trampers and mountain bikers, hunters rarely follow formed trails and often track game through thick bush. It’s easy to become disorientated and find yourself lost very quickly,’ said Mountain Safety Council’s Bushcraft Programme Manager, Chris Owens.

He says that taking an appropriate means of communication on all backcountry adventures is essential, especially for those tramping or hunting off the beaten track. This could include a personal locator beacon (PLB), mountain radio or satellite phone. Most people also take their cell phones with them in the outdoors, but these should not be relied upon in the backcountry as batteries can go flat, they can get wet, dropped or damaged and coverage is often non-existent.

Mr Owens went on to say that if things do go wrong and you find that you are lost and have no way to raise an alert then the message is to ‘stay put’.

‘Remember that water, shelter and warmth are the essential elements for your survival. If in doubt stay put - it is easier for searchers to find you if you stay in the same spot as opposed to wandering aimlessly,’ said Mr Owens.

The five simple rules of the Outdoor Safety Code provide guidance on how to prepare and act in the outdoors and are applicable to all outdoor activities whether it’s a short walk in the bush, a day out mountain biking or hunting to a multi-day mountain adventure.

The New Zealand Outdoor Safety Code:

1. Plan your trip

Seek local knowledge and plan the route you will take and the amount of time you can reasonably expect it to take. Department of Conservation (DOC) Visitor Centres, i-SITEs and local operators are a good source of local information.

2. Tell someone Tell someone your plans and complete written Outdoors Intentions BEFORE leaving on your trip. There are tools that make it easy on the Walking, Hiking, Tramping, NZ Outdoor Safety Code | Adventure Smart website. At the very least, tell a friend or family member where you are going and date and time to raise the alarm if you haven’t returned.

3. Be aware of the weather

New Zealand’s weather can be highly unpredictable. Check the forecast and expect weather changes. Check track and hut conditions. Beware of rivers - if in doubt STAY OUT.

4. Know your limits

Challenge yourself within your physical limits and experience. Take a Mountain Safety Council course.

5. Take sufficient supplies

Make sure you have enough food, clothing, equipment and emergency rations for the worst-case scenario. Take an appropriate means of communication such as a Mountain Radio or Personal Locator Beacon (PLB) and know how to use them.

It is also basic common sense to tell some your plans before you head out of the door as that information could also save your life. ‘Providing detailed information such as where you are going, where you are planning to stay and what equipment you are carrying is invaluable to search and rescue teams and can vastly improve your chances of being found and rescued quickly,’ said Chris Owens.

The Mountain Safety Council recommends you use the simple forms on the Walking, Hiking, Tramping, NZ Outdoor Safety Code | Adventure Smart website to tell someone you trust your ‘Outdoors Intentions’ information before setting off on your trip. You can print out a form and give it to a loved one or even complete the details online and email it to a friend.

More information on how to enjoy New Zealand’s great outdoors safely and links to outdoors intentions can be found on the Mountain Safety Council’s website Home - Mountain Safety Council NZ
    Source: Hunters reminded to follow outdoor safety code | Voxy.co.nz

The missing hunter lost in the Ureweras has since been found alive and well.

The hunter was found early this afternoon and police search crews are currently working on a plan to get him out of the bush.
    ...yesterday afternoon a note was discovered in Kouanui Hut which was dated October 22. It indicated that he was lost but had some food he had found in the hut. The lukewarm remains of a fire also suggested he had stayed at the hut overnight Monday.
    He should have stayed at the hut, this is one of the first places SAR will look.

Article: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=10842507
    Last edited by Raging Bull; 24-10-2012 at 03:20 PM.
    199p and Vapour like this.
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Good advice all of it.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

R93
    At the end of the day its just common sense, isint it?. I often go for a looksee for a beasty 5 mins from the house but someone always knows where I am going, even if i have to ring someone to let them know roughly where I plan on going before I leave.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Tim
    5 minutes from the house? Bloody showoff.
    Getting older is compulsory, growing up is entirely optional.

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    5 minutes from the house? Bloody showoff.
    TBF you can be onto animals 5 mins from any town on the coast that I can think of. At the moment we live rurally and in a beautiful spot with access to great hunting. I can see our place from Doc land while gutting the odd deer as well

Tim
    I think I can feel a project site visit brewing on the coast for work that coincides with your next visit home ... how convenient

R93
    Ha Ha Ha anytime ya want. After feb I go to 2 on 2 off so will be home for longer more often. We should see if your cams will work for a season in thar country.

Tim
    Now there's a plan! Tahr on trail cam would be wicked.

And to keep with the thread theme, we'll tell peeps where we're going in case we get lost.

R93
    I get lost a soon as I go out my drive, so dont be too surprised. Its a big place