Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: hunting in the kaimais

Quote Originally Posted by Htown View Post
    Hey guys, just confused about the kaimais a bit, people seem to love hunting in the kaimais and get heaps of deer and highly rate it or they never see anything and think its shit.
    because i live in the waikato, pureora and kaimais are my first options so i am wondering, is the kaimais good?
    which areas are good ( not asking for personal spots ) but average areas where it woukd be good for newbie to start off at.
    should i be basing my hunts off the tracks at kaimais?
    i know kaimai heads are crappy but other than that are the deer in good nic etc
    any infomation is great

cheers!!!!
    Not so good for deer but you should see the size of the moose
    If god didn't want us to eat animals he wouldn't have made them out of food.

Quote Originally Posted by Htown View Post
    Hey guys, just confused about the kaimais a bit, people seem to love hunting in the kaimais and get heaps of deer and highly rate it or they never see anything and think its shit.
    because i live in the waikato, pureora and kaimais are my first options so i am wondering, is the kaimais good?
    which areas are good ( not asking for personal spots ) but average areas where it woukd be good for newbie to start off at.
    should i be basing my hunts off the tracks at kaimais?
    i know kaimai heads are crappy but other than that are the deer in good nic etc
    any infomation is great

cheers!!!!
    @Htown this is my take on the Kaimais. Half the hunters you talk to say "No deer in the Kaimais" because they've tried a few times and haven't had any luck, but know that they're in there because plenty of hunters do shoot them, and it's a bit of tongue-in-cheek humour. The other half say "No deer in the Kaimais" because it's a tongue-in-cheek sort of way to say "You stay away from my kaimai deer". It's all just a laugh.

There are deer in the kaimais but they are a struggle to hunt. In my opinion, numbers are pretty low in most places. I started hunting it properly in March this year and have shot two deer in there since, but to put it in perspective, I hunted 3 full days in the Kaimanawas a couple months back and saw more deer than I have in the Kaimais since March, the numbers just seem to be that much higher there. Reason I hunt the Kaimais is it's close, not because it's the most epic hunting. That said, some of the more seasoned Kaimai hunters might disagree with me there, but there's a lesson in that - it takes time to find the good spots!

Yup the heads and are crap but the bodies are large! Some of those hinds in there will put your back out.

I don't hunt pureora, so I can't really say, but from talking to folk who do, it would be a better place to start out as a newbie. The only thing to be wary about with the Pureoras is it gets a lot of 1080, so call the DOC office and they'll put you onto an area that is in the clear.

Don't hunt on the track, get your compass and map work up to scratch and start adventuring off track. It's a hell of a lot of fun when you start out. That was the first thing I enjoyed about hunting well before I shot anything, getting off the track and into the real stuff! Typically speaking, you need to get off the track to see deer because the lingering human scent puts them off.

All the best with your hunting, buddy. You can give me a PM if you have anymore questions. I've only be at it about a year and a half so I'm not expert but I do remember what it was like starting out.
    veitnamcam, Pengy, Sniper and 4 others like this.
    Yeah nah bro

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt.

thanks mate i really appreciate the help
    Hunt4life likes this.

Oh, man love up there!!

There are plenty of deer in there .
    The problems are seeing them , beating the wind , moving quietly , finding open bush , and having luck on your side.
    I just do quick morning walks over ground I know like the back of my hand , and im normaly back in Hamilton by lunch time. Sometimes you get afew one year , sometimes you don't , but getting too know an area well is the best way too make your own luck IMO.
    I saw more deer in the Kaimanawas aswell because in the Kaimanawas I could see them LOL

I will be keen for a couple of armed tramps in the next couple of months if you need a partner in crime.

Dont know bugger all about deer hunting, but I can talk shit with the best of em, and having been a topographical surveyor at one point in time, can read the shit outa a map.
    outinabout likes this.