Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree151Likes

Thread: Hunting in NZ, is it too easy?

Hunting in NZ, is it too easy?

Hi friends.
    Thank you for taking time to read my post.Please read it fully, in a calm deliberate manor, twice.

In NZ , hunting is mostly/always free on Public land, Private land is different.
    NZ is also a small country with small population, relatively.

A-Will there ever be a time in NZ where we as kiwi hunters look on the ease of hunting here for visitors with disdain?

example; hunters from overseas post here and there that they are planning a hunting trip onto public land yada yada....
    good on them i say!

But with a bit of thought i can forsee a future where maybe there are a "lot" of foreigners hunting NZ lands because it is easy and because it is very cheap.

B-Is it too easy for them?

In twenty years time, or ten or thirty will we regret sitting back and letting it happen?
    Populations everywhere are increasing, in NZ too. In theory more people will be in the hills than ever. Climbers,walkers,trampers,outdoor clubs,bird watchers, all that stuff.
    I read some posts from Kiwi hunters starting out asking, "whats happening up Clements Mill rd " etc, with replies of "the place is full of people like usual" etc- and while i know this is an exaggeration- it one day may be a possibility.
    I am not saying make them pay through the nose for public hunting.

C-What about a ballot system for offshore based hunters on public land?

D-Does anyone have any suggestions for how to possibly "manage" freedom hunters if needed at all?

If you are going to post in this thread, i humbly request that before you do ,you read my post a couple times, go make a coffee, have a sit down and think through your answer reply-opinion etc.
    Also refer your answer-opinion to the relative question.

The reason i say this in case you don't already know is that some people tend to blurt out the first thing-opinion that comes to mind just because this is the internet.

What say you?

I'll go and have a coffee

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Josh and DanS like this.

For ballot blocks like the Wapiti, tahr etc I think one should be on offer exclusively to overseas entry's. It should be chosen at random and the fees should offset the application costs for kiwi hunters. The rest of the blocks within that area should be for residents only.

All non ballot blocks...well I don't really have any concerns about these areas to be honest, I can see it either way, but I don't care enough to have an opinion, as these blocks wouldn't be under that much demand as there aren't "trophy animals" to draw in the big dollars.

Kj
    kiwi39 likes this.

Food for thought, so I'll have a muffin with my coffee and then think before saying anything. "Better to remain silent and appear a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
    Josh, madmaori, stumpy and 1 others like this.

right I had a cup of coffee.
    I also just used internet to get a permit online using my Zambian address.
    I now have a permit to hunt on Public land as a non resident.
    I are a kiwi and I have always used my NZ address to get permits for trips home .
    Should a non resident be allowed to come onto public land and hunt for free with no restrictions?
    In my eyes no way should it be allowed.
    Doc and the Govt see our induced animals as a pest .
    But we as kiwi hunters see them as a natural resource.
    I also do not rate a meat animal to be a lesser resource than a Trophy animal so to suggest that Non-Resident should be able to have free access to them is not a option.
    Non-Residents are welcome but use a guide on private land or pay for private land hunting and leave our resource for Kiwi,s.
    I cant just help myself to public land hunting in overseas country's without a permit and a guide and I respect that.
    If a kiwi hunter invites a non resident on a hunt I respect that and it should be done.
    No way should any ballot be open to non-resident.
    If it has got to a point where we have to restrict the freedom of Kiwi at a certain time of year from doing what is there right ,Why the hell would we let a non resident in on the ballot as well?

I can see some merit in a couple of blocks in Wapiti country being put up for lease for overseas hunters but the price would want to be high to offset the loss to South Island hunters who have hunted there all there lives if the money was being used to help the foundation but the price would have to be high to make any real advantage and again if you were a local hunter down that way you would be asking the question of what right do you have to sell my hunting rights and ground out ?
    Love walking my gun

If your horribly unfit and obese then hunting would be a nightmare, if your fit and keen and dont mind walking a few hours then yeah hunting can seem easy

I dont think there is an issue with needing to regulate freedom hunting, there is a lot of big country out there, I have no problem at all avoiding people, I just walk a little further, hunt a little longer and explore the less common areas.
    Daggers_187 likes this.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Thanks for the input guys. Good points !

I think there are many opportunities in NZ to " exploit" overseas visitors. We Semmens to be a give it away country either because we are just really good bastards or dumb! Rock Snot should have wakened us up very quickly but it hasn't.
    Shootm and Zamkiwi like this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

I am totally against AATH on all public land but most vehemently in wilderness blocks where it is illegal for us kiwis to even be dropped in by helicopter we have to walk and yet rich fat lazy pricks (mostly overseas custom )can pay to haze and shoot either from the air or dropped on the ground and animals driven towards them by the chopper OUR trophy animals.
    outdoorlad, Tommy and Steve123 like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

I won't argue with you over the means they use to hunt, but we should be able to have guys making a good living from guiding them and hunting in a traditional way. Should here my mate carry on about the guys he used to guide when working for Forrester. In some cases it was just about a good photo, didn't care who shot it, but they paid well
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

The way they hunt is abhorrent but the real bee in my bonnet is that because of basicly a loop hole where it is illegal for us to be flown in and we have to walk they can fly in and scare every animal out of the area.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Tourism in all forms is shit
    veitnamcam, Blaser, crnkin and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    So noone in the world should travel and explore new countries? Pretty sure thats how we got here, we are all tourists
    ebf, Ryan, 6x47 and 3 others like this.

Tourism is not "shit". It is an important part of the New Zealand economy, many people and subsidiary industries rely on it for an income.

Touring hunters make up a miniscule portion of those tourists. It's a really long way for most hunters to travel (with the exception of Australia) and realistically, there's not really much here to get excited about when compared with other countries that are 1) closer, 2) greater biodiversity 3) cheaper.

I don't really see what the problem is as far as foreign hunters are concerned?

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    What state would NZ be without though?
    Forgotmaboltagain+1