Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By David
  • 2 Post By Feral
  • 1 Post By initiaz
  • 1 Post By Scouser

Thread: Hutt Water Catchment - Wellingtonians

Hutt Water Catchment - Wellingtonians

Hi Guys

I am heading into Hutt Water Catchment area for a look tomorrow. Have a look at the pic below on where am planning to do my hunting and probably also have a look up along the eastern hutt river.

The reason for posting this is that if any of the fellow mates up in the forum are heading up there too, please be mindful that it might be me roaring in there so please do "identify your target beyond all doubts"

Also I would be extremely greatful if anyone heading up there can PM me so that I will also be aware of their where abouts as well.

To the rest of you all.. Happy hunting and keep safe Boys..

Cheers

Name:  Good hunting spot - hutt water catchment.jpg
Views: 964
Size:  65.8 KB

Happy safe hunting m8

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk

Follow the marked track over the gutbuster . It gets you past the gorge . Good luck and let us know what's going on. And get in early!

Quote Originally Posted by scoped View Post
    Follow the marked track over the gutbuster . It gets you past the gorge . Good luck and let us know what's going on. And get in early!
    The gates to access track don't open till 8am so I guess if I am there around 8am, i might reach the hunting area around 9.30am..

Lets see how it goes.. will post up report here

Hi Initiaz, I think there is no problem with you entering the park on foot before the gate opens - I've done that lots of times. You can leave you car just outside the entrance to the park - there is a small gravel parking area just before the gate and bridge. Walk around the gate, over the bridge, past the ranger's office and then you're on your way up the dirt access road.
    Feral likes this.

Get in there slayer!!!! Good luck

9.30 is leaving it too late IMHO. I'm walking in at what ever time gets me to my hunting area about 30 mins before first light. Then hunt through to say 11am then head back home. That's just me, but I got my first the other week just on daybreak and this week the stags were roaring shortly after first light and were solid through to about 1030 then dropped off a fair bit, although still answering me sometimes. I was getting little in the evening. Sunday morning I will be up at groggy O'Clock again to power walk two hours to my chosen area to be there listening at dawn and roaring again shortly after. Hope to get him this time, he was an aggressive bugger I had wound up! Found his rubbings and ground sign but no wallow...yet. Do it hard mate, get in early.
    nor-west and Scouser like this.

Too late for a tip but once you get to the swing bridge sidle up the gorge on the true left rather than go over the track.

Had a friends brother shot and killed in that area many years ago, survived Vietnam, and got taken out by a young hunter, mistaken for an animal?
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

I made arrangemnt wid ranger n went in early..a vry steep climb for a little ova an hr until frm wea hunting starts.. stags r roarin but not tat agressive..i got close to 4 stags durin da day..almost btw 40 - 60m.. only cudnt get to see it else i wud hv bagged my first.. i tried to wok up a stag to get out for almost an hour but like i said it wz not in full force roarin yet n it didnt move.. i tried to close in but it bolted away.. evrythng wz fine xcept 1 damn thing tat ruined the day.. 'the floor bed' its so dry tat no matter hw gentle u get it stil breaks tat fuckin dry twigs.. on da 2nd stag i got close to same hapnd..wid dis 1 i removed my shoes n tried closin in but again no luck.. man i almost wz certain this wz my day wen i got close to da 3rd n da 4th later in da afternoon but again i may hv rushed coz i wz like impaitent to see it.. anywz l wz jst talkin dis wid family on my xperiece n hw i felt being dea on my 1st roar..must hv surely board them but i did realize my mistakes ysterdy.. wil go bck in again this wiknd n get those bastards this time..

I am goin dea anywz but wish it rains on thursdy o fridy evenin..

Found wallow near where i came across da stags

Name:  tmp_20140405_08180856181042.jpg
Views: 598
Size:  844.8 KB

Its so dry dat the wallow hs dried out but its still used s it had fresh marks n da stag must hv rolled dea tat mornin.. i reahd in around 8am so dis wik wil b in b4 1st light
    LifeLust likes this.

Guys again if anybody is thinkin of headin in this place please do PM me so that m aware coz i mite drop a sicky n head up dea anyday this wik since wiknd simz so far away...

Cheers

Seems the weather gods are answering my wish.. See the weather forcast for the week..

This should dampen the floor bed and the twigs come friday.. Now it will be my chance all the way..

Name:  weather.png
Views: 444
Size:  26.7 KB

Hi mate, breaking twigs should not be a problem, as any noise will alert them into thinking its another stag, 'roar' on your way in and just be mindful of the wind direction....'wind in your nose' should be the mantra....

they should be all stoked up and ready for battle now....good luck mate....go get em!!!!!!!
    initiaz likes this.
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt