Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree160Likes

Thread: Interesting Trend

I think Hamish makes a good point in that there are a few videos in short time poping up showing spots that are all ready very popular and picking one spot from there to hunt.

I know some of these spots and the videos are sending more people into not only the same road end but also the same track or slip, Creek that's is all ready very well known.

It doesn't phase me on the spots but I don't like seeing heaps of people in one small area. Especially if they are groups of new hunters who are still trying to work it all out.

On the other hand I think it's all well and good getting new guys into good areas, just don't bunch them all up and let them spread from there.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    BRADS, HNTMAD and StagRyan like this.
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by HNTMAD View Post
    @Carlsen Highway no not possessive of public land nor do I have a secret spot (only the odd one but know it is others also) just very perplexed at the detail people are putting in really, don't worry me where as you still have to know how to hunt it. I have 1 spot that is very popular to the point you almost need to book it, it produces animals if you know how to hunt it. I gets popular when people now you are getting loads of deer out and then less popular when they are unsuccessful.

Was just a generalisation in the current generational trend and wondered if there maybe a link

As you were peeps

Hamish

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Ah, ok.
    But in that case, now I am not sure what the problem is. Whats wrong with people being specific about where they are hunting? Far better than the old "ünnamed" river, "somewhere". Places are important. They are as important as what you do in them.

I shall retire to meditate on this.
    Last edited by Carlsen Highway; 27-09-2016 at 10:42 AM.

I see it that way too. Also, they can't be that special to him if he put the co-ords up.
    7mmsaum and tetawa like this.

I'm not that worried about it, MD can show a whole lot of new hunters where to hunt, but he can't teach them how to hunt on YouTube. As you all know you need years of experience before you're really good at that.
    So they all rush off to spots in the Eastern Ruahines, some spots I've hunted quite a bit, who cares; there's plenty of other spots out there... Finding them is half the fun!

I've been hunting for over 30 years, now couldn't be a better time to be a hunter; there's more deer around than ever.

YouTube is a modern way of learning...
    Pointer, BRADS, Gibo and 2 others like this.

I've been hunting for over 30 years, now couldn't be a better time to be a hunter; there's more deer around than ever.
    That's it. These are the golden years. Or they will be one day
    Biggun708 likes this.

Kaimanawas are classic for thinking you have a spot x. Nothing's like being at your favourite look out over a clearing and finding a milky bar wrapper stuffed in a crack in a tree. Your spots highly likely already someone else's.
    Pointer likes this.

res
    Quote Originally Posted by Freezer View Post
    Kaimanawas are classic for thinking you have a spot x. Nothing's like being at your favourite look out over a clearing and finding a milky bar wrapper stuffed in a crack in a tree. Your spots highly likely already someone else's.
    If someone's stuffing wrappers in trees then they can't value the spot
    Grim, Pengy, Beaker and 1 others like this.
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Carlsen Highway View Post
    The original post sounds much too possessive of public land for my comfort. If you have a secret spot then you are lucky, if you have a secret spot that someone else discovers and then tells other people, then you are unlucky.
    Complaining about them and making out they have wronged you just makes you sound, well, a bit whiney.

I have heard the same complaint leveled at people who write magazine articles, and I thought the same thing then too.

AS for people visiting your spots after you showed them....thats human nature. Why did you show it to them if you minded them going back without you? It was a gift of a hunting spot. The purest gift there is between men

However, what is wrong, is them coming back with their mates. That is a personal affront and an abuse of your generosity.
    You comments re human nature and sharing a resource are absolutely true. But of course its not quite that simple.
    Theres a flip side to sharing a resource and that would be thinking about other users (am I giving out someone elses spot when I post it on the internet) and the resource itself (do i care if Im increasing the taking of velvet stags for example).
    So if you are giving out specific advice to randoms - caring about other people getting to hunt an area or to feel better about your awesomenss as a hunter, you actually can be seen to be not giving a shit about other randoms that hunt there, or the animal population dynamic/trophy potential yadayada. Are you actually being altruistic?
    Those other randoms dont get a say when someone gobs off on the internet.
    Bagheera likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Pointer View Post
    Let's face it, it's called public for a reason. You must never assume you have it all to yourself.
    Unless its JD's spot.
    Pointer and Gibo like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmay View Post
    Unless its JD's spot.
    Bwah hah ha that made me shart!

Bahahaha! Put the co-ords up on here Tim!

For some hunters, where you are and "being there" are the key satisfaction of the trip. They will say exactly where they hunted. If you're on the Garden of Eden or at Tussock hut or a classic wapiti block, you'll say so and the animals are less important. A lot of reports about hunting in Fiordland include detailed route descriptions. Trampers and climbers do this, usually with some deft understatement of the difficultes. If others try to follow you, they will learn just what an awesome hunter you were.

When you're talking about a "resource", handy spots and so on, where the hunt and the animal are the main interest, of course there's no need to pinpoint the spot. Even throw a couple of pics of somewhere else into the tale to keep readers guessing ...
    HNTMAD likes this.