Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree31Likes
  • 27 Post By Boaraxa
  • 1 Post By sako75
  • 1 Post By Boaraxa
  • 1 Post By Sideshow
  • 1 Post By Sideshow

Thread: The Island

The Island

Hi Guys I recently got back from Abrahams Bay my first hunting trip on the island it almost didn't start so well with one #%!ker pulling out 2 days before we were leaving & he had the boat ! but luckily I had booked 4 ferry tickets a couple of months in advance pluss some quick phone calls to the water taxi to arrange the hire of a 3.7M pontoon boat and we were back on track.
    Day one we landed around 2.30 so after unpacking all our gear we headed off in different directions , first impressions was how wet the place is I was a little surprised by this , moss pretty much everywhere & very wet underfoot .The size of the block it doesn't look very big on the map in reality its a huge block I don't think the 4 of us would cover all of it even if we where there for the 10 days the stalking is very slow something im not very good at , also the deer sign at first glance didn't seem to encouraging but day two low tide was in the morning & the boys wanted sea food so me & Reg suited up for a dive & andrew , Al grabbed the rods not that they where allowed to use them until we were OUT of the water I say this from experience !! it didn't take long to get a good feed of paua we could see them from the boat the water is so clear , Good fishing to so with our quota of cod , paua & a few kina in the bin it was time for a hunt Reg & I teamed up & headed off into the light rain I was pretty keen to get out of the damp dark lower country & try and find some dryer ridges where animals mite prefer to bed down, we covered a bit of country & found some fresh sign on the ridge we took turns at branching off or splitting up to cover small terraces (orange hats are good ) .We had been hunting for around 3 or 4 hours when the wind picked up I commented to Reg that some of my best bush hunts have been on windier days as the rustle of trees helps cover my rustling noises as I stomp around the bush not long after we had dropped off a spur heading for home I crossed a creek & looked behind to see no Reg so waited he then appeared to say a hind had been watching me hop the creek but disappeared before he could get the gun up so we quitley looked over a small knoll when something erupted from only 5 meters away I had the gun up & followed a brown blur running under the chest high crown fern then it appeared in a small gap & paused for a second placing the x hairs just behind its shoulder crack went the 223 & I had my first whitetail in most parts your basically looking for a head sticking up out of the fern , it didn't take long to figure out we had a lot to learn when it comes to hunting these deer .
    Day 3 light rain again but with a few clear periods i hunted the main valley heading south its pretty wet in there flat with small back washes & big fallen over logs so i headed up a steep face to get on the ridge straight away the sign improved to the extent i was just waiting to spot a deer & im certian i must have spooked 1 or 2 but with high fern & me cruising like i was looking for a red i probably didnt help my self as i tend to move faster especially if the light breeze is gently moving backwards & forwards.
    Day 4 fine with clear sky,s this time round Al dropped us off on a couple of beeches to hunt new country i opted for a terrace it was thick steep & wet pushing up but once onto top it was some of the better stalking country i found with open fern some fresh sign around & the wind mostly rite i quietly stalked through there stopping frequently & really looking but it wasnt to be i got back to the beech first at low tide so i set about getting a fire going & putting a bunch of mussles on the hot rocks for lunch not long after the boys turned up andrew & Reg split up & hunted a ridge each , reg had a close incounter & had a hind bound off only meters from him showing him the whitetail flag & Al had a good few cod on the deck.
    Day 5 we had a quick morning hunt at one stage we had sights on a deer standing on a beech but it took a good few minuets for the boat to stop wobbling by then the deer had moved off into the bush.
    We all had a great time exploring new country & fishing though we didnt do any more diving ...there are a lot of large sharks in the inlet & the feckers (7 gillers ) come rite into very shallow water one evening 1 was unlucky enough to get clubbed over the head with a oar so we tied it up to a large stump with the intention of picking it up in the morning well the only thing left was the tail! not sure what ate it but going by the hut book a white pointer had been spotted in the bay.
    The hut was toasty warm every night , coal & kindling is a must as there is very little dry wood , we brought around half of our food back as there is plenty of good tucker just out the hut door. We found good amounts of fresh sign in places but pushing through high crown fern the chances seemed slim , in our travel's we found 1 tree stand which lacked in the height department , also found a couple of hides & could see what was left of a pile of broadleaf to lure the deer into the zone 1 looked ok .
    We where lucky enough to see a kiwi it wandered around the hut early one morning but didn't stay for long the boys also saw another up on a ridge I thought there would have been a few more but we did catch a cat the first night & there where a few rats around , next years trip is already booked .
    Also something worth a mention Andrew brought 2 chilly bins with him id not seen this type before i was really surprised how long the ice lasted 7 days no trouble & 1 was our beer fridge .
    Cheers.

Name:  IMG_3748 (Copy).JPG
Views: 1613
Size:  395.3 KBName:  IMG_3772 (Copy).JPG
Views: 1667
Size:  341.7 KBName:  IMG_3768 (Copy).JPG
Views: 1710
Size:  891.2 KBName:  IMG_3775.jpg
Views: 1780
Size:  1,017.2 KBName:  IMG_3785.jpg
Views: 1590
Size:  656.9 KBName:  IMG_3816.jpg
Views: 1625
Size:  1.10 MB
    Malhunting, P38, Shootm and 24 others like this.

sounds like you had a great trip all the same. neat place to be and a return trip will always be on the cards.

Awesome
    Have you booked the same place or somewhere new?
    Boaraxa likes this.

Magic spot Stewart Island, went there in 1973 shot my first whitetail as well great animals to hunt. Sounds as if you will do alright there once you get to know the spots.

Yes it is a nice place we really enjoyed our stay the boys where happy taking fresh cod & paua home , I was going to book the same block but when I got back it was already taken ! but with a bit of luck managed to get into port adventure .

When are you going next year Boaraxa?

Thanks for that !! Got me excited again, we've got Ruggedies booked for next year ... What was the brand of chilly bin???

Ejected
    Abrahams is a bloody good block.

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow View Post
    When are you going next year Boaraxa?
    Last week in april , Kellys beach @Biggun708
    https://www.marine-deals.co.nz/chill...oulded-ice-box
    Biggun708 likes this.

Hay I've Kelly's at the start of April. Will give you a heads up on where they are if I find any
    Boaraxa likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow View Post
    Hay I've Kelly's at the start of April. Will give you a heads up on where they are if I find any
    Iv never been there but it looks like a great block , should be awesome fishing .don't be shy to take a few gps coordinates for your southern bro

Year no worries. Was in Bosom way back in the nineties. So have a little experience for there.lots of sharks ah.
    Oyster cove just pull the boat up and take a spade load boat we were lucky as some fishermen pulled in and we swapped them carcass and it saved on us opening them all
    Guys did ok in the fish department. But man those sharks I won't be taking me dive suit this time. Don't know what it's like now but there where still places at low tide where you only got your arm wet getting paua!
    Boaraxa likes this.

Has the prep going @Boaraxa ? I've had to pull the plug but will try and book for next year
    We all expect a HUGE write up
    Oh but on a more serious note on what you find and what you think is a must take.
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

Have hunted most blocks on the Island. Best heads I've seen are the norwest blocks. Yankee River, Christmas Village etc.

Interesting write up. Thanks