Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Jordan stream

Jordan stream

Anyone been up there and got any tips?

Had a bit of a look on satellite images and the map but wondering if anyone had any tips. Yet to shoot a red other than on the island and years ago when mates took me to fiordland so kind of following my nose and hoping I find something. Have followed the trphread about what I'm doing wrong, just need to find a decent spot with some sign
    StagRyan likes this.

I wouldn't worry about what others thought and just get in there and do it. If you know there are deer in the bush or surrounding area your hunting it's just some time before you knock one over.
    J3553 likes this.

Never been in there before only going on rumours that they are there

K95
    went for a poke up there a few years ago but was pretty uninspiring country. Hunt the bush opposite klondyke corner across the river.

Used to get the odd deer up there 10 years ago. Haven't been up there since I left canty tho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Found an area with a bit of sign 20mins further drive away but the walk involves a 2km walk up a river bed with stones the right size for rolling ankles... That's before you get to doc land, then tpanother 2km of the same or a massive climb through impenetrable scrub, keen on somewhere new

Quote Originally Posted by K95 View Post
    went for a poke up there a few years ago but was pretty uninspiring country. Hunt the bush opposite klondyke corner across the river.
    Quite a bit further away from me, no such thing as uninspiring, better than sitting at home doing nothing

K95
    Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    Quite a bit further away from me, no such thing as uninspiring, better than sitting at home doing nothing
    Ah, I thought we were talking Jordan Stream arthurs pass...

Quote Originally Posted by K95 View Post
    Ah, I thought we were talking Jordan Stream arthurs pass...
    Inland kaikouras, typical naming of things huh?!

Pretty much anything in Kaikoura will involve a riverbed walk of a few hours.

Quote Originally Posted by stug View Post
    Pretty much anything in Kaikoura will involve a riverbed walk of a few hours.
    So I am discovering, don't mind it but twisted the same ankle twice and sick those stones the size of your head that roll when you put your weight on them

It gets hunted well . Hunt in areas where you can not get access to with a quad bike or 4x4 . Do a bit of walking you will find them.

Quote Originally Posted by pops View Post
    It gets hunted well . Hunt in areas where you can not get access to with a quad bike or 4x4 . Do a bit of walking you will find them.
    went up seaward valley and along the ridge, quads have hammered it, in 4hours only saw one set of freshish pig prints. really annoying knowing there are half a dozen deer wild on the farm 10min walk from the house yet need to drive 3hours!! think i'm going to give up on the kaikouras and head up lewis hopefully it isnt hammered as hard, only problem is that white stuff that seems to be around

went up seaward valley and along the ridge, quads have hammered it, in 4hours only saw one set of freshish pig prints. really annoying knowing there are half a dozen deer wild on the farm 10min walk from the house yet need to drive 3hours!! think i'm going to give up on the kaikouras and head up lewis hopefully it isnt hammered as hard, only problem is that white stuff that seems to be around
    Kaikoura is OK to hunt as long you stay away from tracks and easy access. Depending on year tops are good even at Jordan stream. I have come across them halfway up / tops and out the way of access to tracks and vehicles and I mean out the way. Arthur's pass is good and if you are willing to do some walking you should come across some nice stags. Just keep an eye on weather and those rivers. Don't let that white stuff put you off . 😀
    Uplandstalker likes this.

are you still off work during the week? im looking to go for a walk mon-wed this week coming on my days off