Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789
Like Tree102Likes

Thread: Kaimanawas 1080 drop

Of course I've watched the video tg. I disliked what I saw, even after I considered that it was heavily edited, selective and subjective shit journalism. What it shows is real, albeit I think selected exceptions.

No one likes 1080.
    But I have come to the conclusion that it is a useful and necessary tool in controlling vectors and predators. Currently without it I think we would be facing trade sanctions and species becoming extinct at a far greater rate.
    Presently, to me it is a necessary evil.

What I have said is not an argument, its simply a view I have formed through observing, listening, reading and researching.

I once held your view and walked all the way from the Urchin Trig to the car park with a deer on my shoulders writing on every single one of the old venetian track markers "DOC kills birds". So, I have the ability to change my mind and perspective when faced with alternative and persuasive information. Do you?!

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    Of course I've watched the video tg. I disliked what I saw, even after I considered that it was heavily edited, selective and subjective shit journalism. What it shows is real, albeit I think selected exceptions.

No one likes 1080.
    But I have come to the conclusion that it is a useful and necessary tool in controlling vectors and predators. Currently without it I think we would be facing trade sanctions and species becoming extinct at a far greater rate.

What I have said is not an argument, its simply a view I have formed through observing, listening, reading and researching.

I once held your view and walked all the way from the Urchin Trig to the car park with a deer on my shoulders writing on every single one of the old venetian track markers "DOC kills birds". So, I have the ability to change my mind and perspective when faced with alternative and persuasive information. Do you?!

Fair enough sport. You're most certainly entitled to your views. AND: you're the first person on this forum who I have asked whether they have ACTUALLY watched P/P DVD, to say truthfully that he has. Good on ya The video would have had to be editted from the many many hours of filming to get it down to 90 odd minutes but I don't think that there was any scullduggery in the scenarios tho'.

Beers.
    Tahr likes this.

cid:image001.png@01D18444.9A4041C0
    Richard Prosser MP

Spokesperson for Primary Industries & Outdoor Recreation

23 MARCH 2016

BOVINE TB DELIBERATELY SPREAD BY GOVERNMENT

New Zealand First says it is incomprehensible that Government agencies are using taxpayers money, and farmers’ Animal Health Levies, to introduce bovine tuberculosis (BTB) into an area previously determined to be free of the disease.

TB Free NZ is funding a Landcare research project close to Wellington where possums are deliberately inoculated with TB and then released to spread the disease in the wild, in what is described as a “transmission trial.”

TB Free now plans to “cull” the affected animals by way of an otherwise completely unnecessary 1080 poison drop over a huge region of the Rimutaka Forest Park that borders farmland and includes waterways, hiking tracks, and hunting areas.

“They know the 1080 won’t get all the possums, but 1080 will kill a lot of native birds as well as deer, and the artificially infected surviving possums will probably infect livestock with TB as a result,” says Primary Industries and Outdoor Recreation Spokesperson Richard Prosser.

“Answers to our written questions provided by the Minister of Primary Industries, Hon Nathan Guy, prove that no pigs, possums or deer have been found with naturally occurring TB in this area - unless, as New Zealand First has discovered, you count the possums infected artificially.

“The minister claims that TB infected cattle have been found in the area – clearly they either caught TB from other cattle or they got it from deliberately infected possums.

“There are questions that need serious answers here. Which Ministers knew about this, and when did they know? Do farmers know that the agency that is supposed to be eradicating TB is instead deliberately spreading it, using farmers’ money? Who approved this ludicrous and grossly irresponsible experiment?

ENDS

Authorised by Richard Prosser, Government Buildings, Wellington

Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    cid:image001.png@01D18444.9A4041C0
    Richard Prosser MP

Spokesperson for Primary Industries & Outdoor Recreation

23 MARCH 2016

BOVINE TB DELIBERATELY SPREAD BY GOVERNMENT

New Zealand First says it is incomprehensible that Government agencies are using taxpayers money, and farmers’ Animal Health Levies, to introduce bovine tuberculosis (BTB) into an area previously determined to be free of the disease.

TB Free NZ is funding a Landcare research project close to Wellington where possums are deliberately inoculated with TB and then released to spread the disease in the wild, in what is described as a “transmission trial.”

TB Free now plans to “cull” the affected animals by way of an otherwise completely unnecessary 1080 poison drop over a huge region of the Rimutaka Forest Park that borders farmland and includes waterways, hiking tracks, and hunting areas.

“They know the 1080 won’t get all the possums, but 1080 will kill a lot of native birds as well as deer, and the artificially infected surviving possums will probably infect livestock with TB as a result,” says Primary Industries and Outdoor Recreation Spokesperson Richard Prosser.

“Answers to our written questions provided by the Minister of Primary Industries, Hon Nathan Guy, prove that no pigs, possums or deer have been found with naturally occurring TB in this area - unless, as New Zealand First has discovered, you count the possums infected artificially.

“The minister claims that TB infected cattle have been found in the area – clearly they either caught TB from other cattle or they got it from deliberately infected possums.

“There are questions that need serious answers here. Which Ministers knew about this, and when did they know? Do farmers know that the agency that is supposed to be eradicating TB is instead deliberately spreading it, using farmers’ money? Who approved this ludicrous and grossly irresponsible experiment?

ENDS

Authorised by Richard Prosser, Government Buildings, Wellington

Wow if this is true some one needs a hose piping! Im sure this will get many of you members spitting tacks.

If they did need to do such an experiment, why would you chose an area bordered by the Rimutakas?? Surely you would look for a smaller land locked area of bush that you could control 100% for such a experiment.
    At least in that way you could control the introduction (which just seems like madness, not sure its entirely necessary given what we all ready know about TB) knowing it has less chance of leaving the area. Making it easier to eradicate from a smaller localised area.

You would have an opportunity to conduct a 2nd experiment on the most effective way to remove the infected possums with out killing the other native critters and gather some science on 1080 vs trapping or local baits. (many anti 1080 claim a lack of science here)

Thought Landcare (maybe we should rebrand them Landcareless) would have a farm with a patch of scrub in the middle of it somewhere, not the back of one of our parks. It's true what they say some of these scientists are so brainy they are stupid.

Name and shame them I say.

I reckon it's a fake put out buy the anti 1080 loonies
    Only one news source is covering the story, I'm sure it would of made headline news buy now if it was real?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BRADS View Post
    I reckon it's a fake put out buy the anti 1080 loonies
    Only one news source is covering the story, I'm sure it would of made headline news buy now if it was real?

Hey @BRADS, which source is it. Wouldn't mind a read. seems to crazy to be true.

One of you wise heads will no if it's fake or not.

http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/PA160...government.htm

Just had a butchers at Scoop.co.nz, interesting site. I have never heard of them before, but then again im only a Riverhead hillbilly. Might add to my fav's always good to have more perspective.

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence" Christopher Hitchens

The 1080 debate has always been controversial, and I guess it will still be going on long after I can't hunt anymore.
    Like many others who have visited the area after a poison drop, they see a silent bush, devoid of birdlife and insects. Just for info, I have still shot possums attracted into our camp, it always made me wonder how sucessful it really was against the target species.
    I don't know if anyone is aware, but there are a number of other critters that carry TB as well, like ferrets and hedgehogs.
    From time to time they carry out poisoning programs through the coastal forests around our part of the green NZ. The forestry guys are picking up dead pheasants for weeks afterwards and throwing them off the tracks, further proof that the stuff gets into the food chain.
    I'm sorry but I can't support the idea. Put a bounty on the possum and watch their numbers decline. Whenever there is money to be made, people will do the rest. Just look at the deer industry. All the government paid hunters couldn't get rid of them, but create a deer meat industry and some areas were wiped clean of deer. It was only due to deer farming that saw it all revert back.
    Just my 50cents worth.
    blake and Woody like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post

No one likes 1080.

People usually change their minds when money or employments involved.
    They have to be weak minded types.Large scale 1080 drops are pointless.Doing far more harm than good.
    blake likes this.