Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Kaweka Road Closure

Kaweka Road Closure

Hi folks

Anyone know if I can get into Kaweka road this weekend? keen to get out for my second ever hunt, but most people telling me not to bother as everywhere will be buried under snow. After being cooped up last weekend I need to get out for a walk! Im dead keen and dont want to take no for an answer ha ha

Caretaker

Kaweka Road Closure

No

Everything buried under snow

Ask again on friday for an update
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Bugger. will do thanks mate. Ruahines be the same ya reckon? Anywhere in Hawkes bay worth a look??

Caretaker

Kaweka Road Closure

On the walk into longview hut (ruahines) turn south and drop down towards the pohangina river, hunt the ridges and gullies on the true left, nice reds there at the moment, bloody big bodied animals.

Remember, half the fun of hunting is exploring and finding areas with animals, - don't deny yourself that pleasure.
    199p, tetawa, Double Shot and 2 others like this.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Kaweka Road Closure

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmsaum View Post
    On the walk into longview hut (ruahines) turn south and drop down towards the pohangina river, hunt the ridges and gullies on the true left, nice reds there at the moment, bloody big bodied animals.

Remember, half the fun of hunting is exploring and finding areas with animals, - don't deny yourself that pleasure.
    Take your snow shoes!
    We are lower than longveiw !
    This was late yesterday.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Still watch the forecast though and don't take any risks. Gear up for the worst eventuality.

Your bod might last longer when it's frozen, but you are still dead.
    Dougie, GWH, Rusky and 1 others like this.

As tahr said take enough gear to be out the night! @BRADS looks like you need some cross country skiis could make Toby's shoot a real biathalon
    Dougie likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    As tahr said take enough gear to be out the night! @BRADS looks like you need some cross country skiis could make Toby's shoot a real biathalon
    If its like that at Tobys I feel sorry for the beer

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    If its like that at Tobys I feel sorry for the beer
    Bro we'll drink that and keep it warm in our tummies.
    It can be our job for the weekend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Pengy, Gibo and Carpe Diem like this.

yeah thanks guys. I will be prepared. Have a bit of tramping experience before I picked up a gun so know how unforgiving the weather can be up there!
    @7mmsaum yeah I have been doin a little study on that longview walk on google earth etc, and is definately on my to do list. thought it maybe snowed in up there too. May just go and walk up the Makaroro river if I cant hatch another plan. you are dead right about getting out there to have a look, and Im determined to not deny myself the pleasure!

GWH
    copied this update from the Kaweka facebook page:

Makino Hut
    09 August 2016: Mahaku Road closed
    Due to the recent heavy snow, Mahaku Road into Middle Hill, Makino, Mangatutu hot pools and Te Puia Lodge will be close for approximately two weeks.

Hastings District Council advise there is some tree damage and it will take approximately two weeks to open the road. Once the council has opened their section of road, DOC will assess the damage from Pinks Hut to the road end.

Kaweka Road to Makahu Saddle will be closed until further notice due to extreme snow fall.

Mangatutu Hot Springs Campsite
    Due to the recent heavy snow, Mahaku Road into Middle Hill, Makino, Mangatutu hot pools and Te Puia Lodge will be close for approximately two weeks.

Hastings District Council advise there is some tree damage and it will take approximately two weeks to open the road. Once the council has opened their section of road, DOC will assess the damage from Pinks Hut to the road end.

Kaweka Road to Makahu Saddle will be closed until further notice due to extreme snow fall.
    Middle Hill Hut

Te Puia Hut (Lodge)

Top end of Puketitiri over weekend:

They said stock losses will be huge with 5 foot of snow. Buried vehicle, chopper back home
    Dougie, GWH and Mathias like this.

Wow shit that is bad. Maybe next weekend then...

Quote Originally Posted by 6x47 View Post
    Top end of Puketitiri over weekend:

They said stock losses will be huge with 5 foot of snow. Buried vehicle, chopper back home
    Was this the Mackintosh?

A "private block" is all I'll say