Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Living and hunting in Hamilton.

Living and hunting in Hamilton.

Hi,

I was recently made aware that I will be attending a job interview in Hamilton. I really would like to know from people that are currently living here or have lived here before what its like - the hunting, weather, housing, etc.

Thanks

John

You would hate it, there is hunting with in one hours drive, it rains sometimes and can be foggy, and houses are not even half the price of the "super city"

Plus your choice of P dealers may have widened since the weekend.
    tetawa and Gerbs like this.

Ejected
    It's foggy all the time, rainy and dreary for all of the winter months and chokingly humid in the summer. I moved to Christchurch and found that it felt considerably warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer, which is wrong on both counts, but because it's drier and less humid it's way more liveable.

No close hunting. No close outdoor activities really. Closest beach is raglan which is good for surfing but worse for everything else compared to the beaches around Nelson.

There's a few decent pubs and bars but in general the town centre is dead and shit. Feels like I've travelled back in time to the early 90s when I visit.

Housing prices are getting up there. Parents sold a house for 650k about 4 years ago and it just went for $900k. If you do your research regarding town planning and possible property investment law changes etc you might be able to ride the wave of a property investment while you're there, because it's expanding and will eventually become south-south-auckland.

Overall, I wouldn't recommend.
    Steve123 likes this.

Wow! You guys aren't really selling it to me.

Live in Cambridge or Te Awamutu. Work in Hamilton. Pirongia, Pureora, Kaimai/Mamaku all close enough.
    Nick-D likes this.

Yah, its not like you are right on top of the hunting like in nelson, but a 2 hour drive radius will put you into some rad country

Cambridge is nicer than Hamilton, nice easy commute.
    Mt Maunganui is about an hour away if your into the beach thing. Very good fishing out from Raglan, good fishing and launching out from Tauranga. Coromandel is pretty handy. Everything from Sanapper to Marlin available.Heaps of thermal hot springs.
    Ruapehu is about 3 hours away for awesome skiing and snow boarding.
    Kaimanawas are 2 and a bit hours away for Sika, Reds less than an hour away in the Kaimais, 2 hours to Pureora and 3 hours to Whirinaki.
    Very good trout fishing in the hydro lakes and Rotorua and Taupo are a couple of hours away. So theres plenty of good options for hunting and fishing.
    Cambridge is a good place to live cant comment on Hamilton. House prices have gone up a lot lately but still not as bad a up the road.
    Ignore the comments from people that dont actually live here, the Waikato has got heaps going for it, pretty Central to everything you want to do.
    Last edited by Chur Bay; 16-10-2016 at 05:13 PM.

Don't worry Stickbow,it's not all bad. There's plenty of places to live within an easy 20 min drive to Hamilton if the city doesn't turn you on. Hunting is within reach,Kaimais 45mins,Kaimanawa's 2hrs,Pirongia has the odd pig or goat in it for a wander close (just check to see when it had the last shower of green rain!) There's fishing either west or east depending on the wind and there's always somewhere you can find Waikato,the King of beers to re-hydrate.
    Good luck for your job interview.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Nothing in hamilton itself to speak of, plenty of options if you dont mind travelling.

northdude
    its closer than dorkland to the hunting spots

No one mentioned Hobbiton, just down the road and if you sell a kidney you could probably afford to go. Hamilton seems a little souless place, but plenty of small town options within easy commute. Morrinsville, Matamata if you like cow towns, you can take the kids fishing in Hamilton city and catch carp. Depends where your working as your choice to live, and as your from sunny Nelson you will love the winter fog and not see the sun for days. Honestly there are worst places to live than the tron

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by Chur Bay View Post
    Ignore the comments from people that dont actually live here, the Waikato has got heaps going for it, pretty Central to everything you want to do.
    The people that moved elsewhere have something to compare it to, and aren't trying to kid themselves.

You did sum up one thing about Hamilton quite well - it's at least an hour from anywhere worth going, if not two or three. But there are places to go for a weekend away.
    tetawa likes this.

I'd invite you to Tauranga/Mt Maunganui but we are full Hamiltons has good dry Summers and the fog ain't as bad as it was in the 80s, life is what you make it where ever ou live!
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    I'd invite you to Tauranga/Mt Maunganui but we are full Hamiltons has good dry Summers and the fog ain't as bad as it was in the 80s, life is what you make it where ever ou live!
    Yep I'd second that. I think its a little more central to things than Hamilton, but still small town city centre.
    Lots of business's are opening branches here or expanding, property prices are on the rise but still affordable, with lots of new housing blocks coming on the market.
    Wouldn't be a bad time to move here.
    StagRyan likes this.