Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree250Likes

Thread: Long-range hunting: is it sporting?

I think I'll give it away! It's getting far too complicated for me, all the issues I lie awake at night fretting! I'm with you Rushy, who cares? Shooting is hunting and hunting is shooting, just make it quick, clean and enjoy the time!!
    gadgetman, kimjon, mikee and 1 others like this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    Go there and back 5.26 and a smidge times
    I work from home. I reach out of bed and can grab my phone and a laptop. Zero steps.

No calculators and if you're seen using your fingers to count you'll be ridiculed.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

We should all take up paintball, as apparently that is now a sport.
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Quote Originally Posted by Pengy View Post
    But would it be sporting to have a quick little guy mismatched against a big slow guy?
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

I used to have a "Permanent Marker" which would have been good for that. .45Cal
    Pengy likes this.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

"adjective: sporting"

1. Connected with or interested in sport.

Yes it is.

"adjective: ethical"

1. relating to moral principles or the branch of knowledge dealing with these.

Any type of hunting is sporting or ethical providing the individual is utilising the weapon or method of killing on the game intended with the proportionate level of skill and force to administer a clean and as painless as possible death on said animal.

I have personally not seen any long range hunters fu*k up a shot on live game, but I have seen a few punters with bore-sighted rifles or incorrect ammo / zero fudge close shots...
    rossi.45 likes this.

I love paintball (not the getting hit thou) but now i'm getting older and wiser and forgetting the wisdom I am meant to have learnt.......I look at my kids and see the violent shit they play, the shit on TV and think these kids have no idea at what happens if you point something at someone. How far do you go I spose......water pistols, etc.

I like the idea of long range shooting, I'm under no allusions that it is harder than it may seem but I'm looking forward to shooting my first animal at 800+ meters. Is it sporting / hunting?? I don't fuckin care, I only like taking meat animals for the freezer, as it is I could sell all my guns and shit and use the money to buy venison for the rest of my life! It's still going to be the same amount of animals killed. The same really goes for fishing.
    Go and buy a $50k boat and all the fuel and shit, we soon realize the fish are the smarter species YES I can say that now as I've owned a boat.
    gadgetman, mikee, Pengy and 1 others like this.

"adjective: sporting"

1. Connected with or interested in sport.

Yes it is.
    Well that is a poorly constructed argument. The noun has to apply to the activity before you can make the adjective apply.

from Wiki...
    The precise definition of what separates a sport from other leisure activities varies between sources. The closest to an international agreement on a definition is provided by SportAccord, which is the association for all the largest international sports federations (including association football, athletics, cycling, tennis, equestrian sports, and more), and is therefore the de facto representative of international sport.

SportAccord uses the following criteria, determining that a sport should:[1]

have an element of competition
    be in no way harmful to any living creature
    not rely on equipment provided by a single supplier (excluding proprietary games such as arena football)
    not rely on any "luck" element specifically designed into the sport.
    Try telling the duck thats shitting itself whilst leaving as fast as possible after have very recently recieved 2 hot pellets up his rectal canal, that the arsehole with the 12 gauge is only interested in a sporting contest with a legitimate opponent...

Sport my arse.....
    kimjon and rossi.45 like this.

"be in no way harmful to any living creature"

Well, given that humans are living creatures, that rules out rugby, basketball, martial arts, cycling, motor racing and pretty much anything else with a significant rate of injury. Not to mention the disciplines where top athletes basically ruin their bodies for life in order to be the best for 5-10 years.

Good catch... I do get the feeling its about a primary intent to cause harm though... which of course still leaves boxing/martial arts with a big question mark...

Informed consent may play a part as well... animals don't give that.. to engage in sport is a concious decision by all parties..

Of course having a sporting contest with your mate while duckshooting is perfectly possible... its just that the ducks aren't actually in that contest...

isn't this fun...
    kimjon likes this.

I'm not sure that hunting is best thought of as a sport. If you recover the meat and eat it it's possibly best thought of as a unique category of human activity closely linked to food gathering as in hunter-gatherer. We might have alternative sources of meat today but that needn't change anything. We might practice it today as a recreation - maybe a bit like a life style farmer who grows a bit of something and keeps a couple of sheep. In both cases it's practicing an ancient economic activity not because it's essential to survival but for its own sake. Because it's challenging and satisfying. Maybe trophy hunting is a sport. It's competitive.

This thread is great. Problem is now I agree with everyone on some level. For me I'm thinking this, "how fouled is my barrel". Because if it's too clean and there's a bit of wind about, will my windage be .5mils or .8 at 800y? That's the difference between a nice neck shot, a shitty broken shoulder blade shot, a miss or worse. Even at an NRA range with a flag every 100y I can't anticipate that degree of windage yet in my mind so I can't ethically shoot animals at 800y (yet).
    As for sport, if you want that watch the cricket. Unless it's Australia playing then it's not really sport either haha.
    mikee, Boaraxa, screamO and 1 others like this.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Didn't the Aussies just get a drubbing from India?
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Yeah that too. I'm more referring to how bad Australia looks internationally because of this sledging bullshit. It's gotten out of control.
    rossi.45 likes this.