Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch NZGR


User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 81
Like Tree165Likes

Thread: Long range rifle rig photos

  1. #61
    Sending it Gibo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    The Hill
    Posts
    17,849
    The Belted @buzzman Basher Was stoked to get out to 1300 at the Toby shoot, wasn't easy though with my short assed spotter looking for magpies instead @30calterry

    Name:  Remmag.jpg
Views: 591
Size:  200.5 KB
    Werawhakaui?

    Rule 4. Identify your target beyond all doubt.

  2. #62
    R93
    R93 is online now
    Member R93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Westland NZ, PNG
    Posts
    11,783
    Quote Originally Posted by oraki View Post
    Attachment 58343
    Surprised that this one hasn't come up yet
    Why would it. This thread is not worthy enough😆

    Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    oraki, Ryan_Songhurst and Mathias like this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

  3. #63
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    185
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    The Belted @buzzman Basher Was stoked to get out to 1300 at the Toby shoot, wasn't easy though with my short assed spotter looking for magpies instead @30calterry

    Attachment 58345
    Scared the shit out of it gibo


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    buzzman, gadgetman and Gibo like this.

  4. #64
    Sending it Gibo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    The Hill
    Posts
    17,849
    Quote Originally Posted by 30calterry View Post
    Scared the shit out of it gibo


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm sure a feather or two flew off I'll claim it anyway
    30calterry likes this.
    Werawhakaui?

    Rule 4. Identify your target beyond all doubt.

  5. #65
    MSL
    MSL is offline
    Member MSL's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Waikato
    Posts
    2,164
    Needed a spotter to see your hits/misses but can see feathers at 1300
    veitnamcam, Kiwi Greg, GWH and 2 others like this.

  6. #66
    Sending it Gibo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    The Hill
    Posts
    17,849
    The magpie was by the 1070
    30calterry likes this.
    Werawhakaui?

    Rule 4. Identify your target beyond all doubt.

  7. #67
    Member Shahin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    161
    Ruger mkII M77 .308 with a boyd thumbhole stock, Leupold Scope VX1 4-12, Hushpower Magnum suppressor & Caldwell bipod. It's also Cerakoted in 3 colours and bolt microslicked. Name:  IMG_4798.jpg
Views: 421
Size:  535.6 KBName:  mkII m77 .308 -2.jpg
Views: 430
Size:  316.7 KBName:  mkII m77 .308 -3.jpg
Views: 411
Size:  302.9 KBName:  mkII m77 .308-1.jpg
Views: 425
Size:  331.7 KB

  8. #68
    Member viper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    cromwell
    Posts
    662
    I don't like Ruger's much but that looks very cool mate, if it shoots as good as it looks it must be a tack driver.

  9. #69
    Member Mathias's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Posts
    1,193
    Tikka T3 260 Improved, #4 Shilen match, long throated. Shoot with a DPT on. Ken H stock. Only now needing an MOA dial for the Z5..... and some practice

    Name:  T3 260 Imp.JPG
Views: 373
Size:  688.5 KB
    Gibo and Nick-D like this.

  10. #70
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Central Otago
    Posts
    343
    I built this rifle up for myself about 5 years ago after my L42 style No4 .308 struggled after 800 metres (probably my fault). It is in .30/06 and throws a 167 grain Lapua scenar at 2950 fps for 0.5 MOA groups. I found an old M17 action which I modified to Rem 700 dimensions, altered the bolt handle and removed the magazine belly. I fitted and chambered a 10" twist John Thompson (Azumith barrels, Christchurch) hand-lapped CM #5 blank which I finished at 26" and threaded for the over-barrel suppressor of my own design and manufacture. The trigger is a tweaked Timney Sportsman, a laminated Boyds semi-finished blank which I pillar bedded, 20 MOA Brownells Rem 700 LA base, and a Sightron SIII 6-24 mildot scope. I bead-blasted and blued it. The 26" barrel allows the use of slow powder (ADI 2214SC) to give good velocity at low pressure. I started out using IMR 4350 but got a few pressure problems with it at the upper end velocities. Now that summer is here again I will have to drag it out a bit more!
    Name:  IMG_2232.JPG
Views: 393
Size:  956.2 KBName:  IMG_2231.jpg
Views: 386
Size:  869.2 KB
    puku, Tahr, Bryan and 12 others like this.

  11. #71
    Member Ryan_Songhurst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    4,040
    Quote Originally Posted by gundoc View Post
    I built this rifle up for myself about 5 years ago after my L42 style No4 .308 struggled after 800 metres (probably my fault). It is in .30/06 and throws a 167 grain Lapua scenar at 2950 fps for 0.5 MOA groups. I found an old M17 action which I modified to Rem 700 dimensions, altered the bolt handle and removed the magazine belly. I fitted and chambered a 10" twist John Thompson (Azumith barrels, Christchurch) hand-lapped CM #5 blank which I finished at 26" and threaded for the over-barrel suppressor of my own design and manufacture. The trigger is a tweaked Timney Sportsman, a laminated Boyds semi-finished blank which I pillar bedded, 20 MOA Brownells Rem 700 LA base, and a Sightron SIII 6-24 mildot scope. I bead-blasted and blued it. The 26" barrel allows the use of slow powder (ADI 2214SC) to give good velocity at low pressure. I started out using IMR 4350 but got a few pressure problems with it at the upper end velocities. Now that summer is here again I will have to drag it out a bit more!
    Attachment 58405Attachment 58404
    Me gusta mucho!!

  12. #72
    Member FRST's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    342
    Nice looking rifle, good to see a M17 build, not too many of those around. Any reason you kept the barrel reinforce that long?

  13. #73
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    spreydon christcurch.
    Posts
    2,772
    @gundoc -sucha sexy wee beast!i still have the no4mk1*longbranch .303 which you do such great work on for me 30yr ago.always appreciate a craftsman.

  14. #74
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Central Otago
    Posts
    343
    Quote Originally Posted by FRST View Post
    Nice looking rifle, good to see a M17 build, not too many of those around. Any reason you kept the barrel reinforce that long?
    Yes, the M17 is a good solid action. Remington made them commercially as the Model 30 until they introduced the much cheaper 700 action. I left the reinforce that long to keep the weight up a bit to prevent exessesive overheating in 5 shot strings, and also to provide a good bedding surface (it is bedded to the front of the reinforce) that will reduce the nodal length of the barrel vibrations. Whether that theory has particular validity is a moot point but the group sizes certainly remain tight as the barrel heats up.
    Puffin and Beaker like this.

  15. #75
    Member Sideshow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    2,161
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  400.7 KB

    For the rats
    viper likes this.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. WHAT IS A "LONG RANGE GUN/RIFLE"?
    By PERRISCICABA in forum Firearms, Optics and Accessories
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 18-11-2014, 10:29 PM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 24-05-2014, 08:25 AM
  3. Cheap long range rifle
    By JP100 in forum Shooting
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 26-01-2014, 04:05 PM
  4. need advice on cal long range rifle
    By nzteza in forum Firearms, Optics and Accessories
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 24-10-2013, 03:45 PM
  5. Long ish range rifle build
    By tonka in forum Firearms, Optics and Accessories
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 23-03-2012, 07:00 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!