Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Moose

Ejected
    Ricochet from a gong on Sunday....
    I'll bring the marmite.

I hate to see young trees browsed upon by deer. I love hunting, I love the native bush too.

Quote Originally Posted by Remington700.270 View Post
    I hate to see young trees browsed upon by deer. I love hunting, I love the native bush too.
    Good thing they are well adapted to being browsed then eh.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

regarding those water buffalo-darcy craze at barrytown on the westcoast had a mob on his farm,supplying cheese &meat to his restraunt..ive got a mate who was a good mate of his.says the steak off those buggers is superb.regarding those moose-Dundees hacienda would be ideal as a liberation point-,moose being adept in water could share his duckshooting ponds with those bloody eels outside duckshooting season of course.
    young sean dundee knows a bit about rabbits ,goats etc so he'd school up pretty easy on moose.
    Whats that;"no sean ,you cant take a moose to school for pet day . ......bugger me first bloody mallard i ever shot that had bloody great danglers&horns,......how the hell can I modify one of these to tow the bloody decoys round the pond"
    of course every scheme has a hitch and I know youre waiting
    WTF will watties taste like on moose???
    big_foot likes this.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    More photos of the ugly bugger Jord. Taken this morning
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 331
Size:  491.5 KB
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  485.3 KB
    phillipgr and Toby like this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Rushy, do heads like his fetch good velvet prices or are they downgraded in anyway?
    ...amitie, respect mutuel et amour...

...le beau et le bon, cela rime avec Breton!...

K95
    Everyone is looking in fiordland but really the main herd is in the Whitcombe, keep it quiet though.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by EeeBees View Post
    Rushy, do heads like his fetch good velvet prices or are they downgraded in anyway?
    I actually do not know EeeBees as I have never harvested the velvet from my stags. This is a near neighbours stag and he does harvest so it is interesting at he has not done so with this. I was up the back of his property this afternoon and he has another up there that I reckon is even bigger.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

R93
    I sometimes ponder the reality that moose once used to roam freely up and down family farmland on the Hokitika river, especially when having a lull in the action on the duck ponds. A cow moose is said to have lived in the area quite happily raiding gardens and such till the mid 30's

One old story I was told by an old culler/hunter of the area was that a moose was killed up the Hoki somewhere by a tramper, who stabbed it with a poker through a hut wall as it was itching itself on the hut. They didn't know what it was, and shat themselves. Not sure how accurate it was, but was told to me by someone who was trophy hunting the area at the time.
    A bloke, Pfahlert told me. Most likely a relly of yours TB? He is long gone now. His heads must still be around somewhere. He had shitloads of them.
    Once had a drink with Percy Lyes talking the old days as well. I served with one of his grandsons in the army. The other is or was a local cop.
    Last edited by R93; 28-12-2013 at 05:15 PM.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

$100/kg

K95
    Charlie Pfahlert? My great grandfather. I have some awesome photos from his hunting days up the Whitcombe, photography section over at 'the other pub'.
    Was just up the Whitcombe last night, was dreaming of how amazing it would be to come across a set of old moose antlers under a rock somewhere in there. There is a moose creek not far up the actual hokitika river that I have often wondered about how it was named.

K95
    The big swamp behind rapid creek hut would be just the spot for one!

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahr-Bound View Post
    Charlie Pfahlert? My great grandfather. I have some awesome photos from his hunting days up the Whitcombe, photography section over at 'the other pub'.
    Was just up the Whitcombe last night, was dreaming of how amazing it would be to come across a set of old moose antlers under a rock somewhere in there. There is a moose creek not far up the actual hokitika river that I have often wondered about how it was named.
    Andy and Brett's Granddad. It was in the mid 80's so I cant remember if it was Charlie. I remember all the huge heads he just had lying around the yard. Andy used the house in the 90's I have not caught up with either of them for a few years.
    Andy sort of gave up hunting after he was married. We used to get up to no good together.

K95
    That was Charlie. Never met him but inherited his old pics and Brett or Andy has a head or two of his still. Some of my pics have the same background as his, he in 1930's with the three-oh, woolen tee and canvas tent and Me with a Hughes 300 and an ar-15... How things have changed.

Would be great to get some solid info on sightings up the Whitcombe.

R93
    They were released at vine creek near or on my father in-laws run off. They hung around for a few years by all accounts. I should pic his brains about it a bit more.

Charlie lived at Kaniere round from where our place is now?