Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: Neckshot placement

Banned
    So no trips to the mexican heart shot region either then.
    Places like the Akataras and the like

Hilar and Neck shot area pics.
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 4305
Size:  714.4 KB
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 4774
Size:  689.3 KB
    Scouser likes this.

Texas heart shot at 6
    Gibo likes this.
    VIVA LA HOWA

Does HILAR stand for something?

Like Heart, Intestines, Lungs or something of that ilk?

just wondering

Oh yeah Scouser, get Lentle and Saxon's "Red Deer in NZ" and read that mutha - usually secondhand copies floating around on TardMe

Quote Originally Posted by 308 View Post

just wondering

Oh yeah Scouser, get Lentle and Saxon's "Red Deer in NZ" and read that mutha - usually secondhand copies floating around on TardMe
    The area through which ducts, nerves, or blood vessels enter and leave a gland or organ.
    And in the case in point many organs
    308 likes this.

Or this bwah hahahahaha man im Hilar!!!

Urban Dictionary: hilar

Any where in the neck with a 308, instant knock out and game over. And they don't get up
    Check my hunt out- 2 neck shots red hind and sika Ecology Spur, Kawekas hunting trip 12-19th April 2010 - YouTube
    Name:  IMG_2074.JPG
Views: 1561
Size:  816.3 KB
    geezejonesy, Toby and Gibo like this.

Going for a neck shot you have to be very confident of bullet placement at different ranges, Spend a lot of time at the range and practice.
    Saves a lot of meat damage if you do neck shot and easier to find the downed deer.
    Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by 308 View Post

just wondering

Cheers mate, will have to bury my head in that book......

Big thanks for posting those pages Gibo, explains a lot.....
    Gibo likes this.
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Atlas joint or base of the neck - Fallow, can't have any of that beautiful forequarter meat going to waste. Never intentionally aimed for the centre of the neck.

Toby likes this.
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded

Banned
    A neck shot on a deer is a dead deer on the spot every time. Never had a problem with it that wasn't caused by a poor shooting, in other words someone just missed what they were aiming at.

A neck shot to the middle of the middle of the neck will kill it outright, collect the spine, and all the major artieries, carotid and jugular will be taken out. Essentially you are decapitating the animal.
    The higher up the neck the more it all converges into one vulnerable package.
    Headshots should be avoided - neckshots enouraged. The neck is a much bigger target and it doesn't flick around and move quickly like the head. With the spine and arteries so close together in the neck you can consider the neck as one big vulnerable organ. I dont know why some people consider them 'iffy' or 'tricky'. (The only thing is a stags throat swelling in the roar and its hair will mean the spine is higher than you think.)

As a deer hunter you need to learn this shot, its a important part of your reportoire. The other one is the high shoulder shot (which essentially should be thought of as a spine shot that also destroys the shoulders as collateral damage.)
    Both of these will drop the animal in its tracks without a death run, unlike lung shots or 'hilar' shots and so forth. A bullet in the lungs will kill a deer every time, but a neck or high shoulder shot will drop it right here.
    I can recommend "The New Zealand Hunting Rifle" book which describes this kind of thing.
    Last edited by Carlsen Highway; 03-10-2013 at 12:49 AM.
    7mmsaum, sako75, Nick.m and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlsen Highway View Post
    A neck shot on a deer is a dead deer on the spot every time. Never had a problem with it that wasn't caused by a poor shooting, in other words someone just missed what they were aiming at.

A neck shot to the middle of the middle of the neck will kill it outright, collect the spine, and all the major artieries, carotid and jugular will be taken out. Essentially you are decapitating the animal.
    The higher up the neck the more it all converges into one vulnerable package.
    Headshots should be avoided - neckshots enouraged. The neck is a much bigger target and it doesn't flick around and move quickly like the head. With the spine and arteries so close together in the neck you can consider the neck as one big vulnerable organ. I dont know why some people consider them 'iffy' or 'tricky'. (The only thing is a stags throat swelling in the roar and its hair will mean the spine is higher than you think.)

As a deer hunter you need to learn this shot, its a important part of your reportoire. The other one is the high shoulder shot (which essentially should be thought of as a spine shot that also destroys the shoulders as collateral damage.)
    Both of these will drop the animal in its tracks without a death run, unlike lung shots or 'hilar' shots and so forth. A bullet in the lungs will kill a deer every time, but a neck or high shoulder shot will drop it right here.
    I can recommend "The New Zealand Hunting Rifle" book which describes this kind of thing.
    Thats the info I was after right there, thanks Carlsen Highway. Will track down that book.

I read somewhere (but I forget which book) that sometimes a neck shot on a big stag isn't the best approach because of the large amount of muscle around their neck for fighting. I guess it's because the girth is so large that the vertebrae is small in comparison so harder to find? I'd think that even if you miss the vertebrae you'd still bleed it out by smashing all those big blood vessels there - a big like slitting a throat. They wouldn't drop on the spot as their nervous system is still intact but I cant imagine it would take much longer than a hilar shot. Has anyone on here had an animal they neck shotted run and then found the spine was still intact when you found the animal? Only neckshot I've ever taken was a spinebreaker and it dropped on the spot.

Sent from my MT27i using Tapatalk 2
    Yeah nah bro

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt.

Banned
    Phil, if a bullet from a rifle will pass through both shoulders of a deer, or even one shoulder and exit the other side of the body, then it will certainly not have a problem with those neck muscles of a stag that you mention! (You can commonly recover bullets or peices of them from neck vertibrae though because they are tough bones and hard on bullets.)
    As for your other query, the answer is that the localised shocking power of a high velocity bullet is considerable and even if you do not squarely impact the vertibrae, the impact damage will cause the animal to drop immediately. The severed carotid and jugular will mean that he is effectively dead in seconds after that. High speed bullets like the .243,.25/06 and .270 come to mind. Thinking about it the .44 magnum for example might be different as they just bore a calibre sized hole right through; the slowest bullet I have neckshot a stag with is a .30/30 from memory (worked fine, no pass through, bullet impacted vertibrae) but realistically, the neck is an intensely vulnerable target, and with anything like reasonable shooting you are golden.
    phillipgr likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlsen Highway View Post
    Phil, if a bullet from a rifle will pass through both shoulders of a deer, or even one shoulder and exit the other side of the body, then it will certainly not have a problem with those neck muscles of a stag that you mention! (You can commonly recover bullets or peices of them from neck vertibrae though because they are tough bones and hard on bullets.)
    As for your other query, the answer is that the localised shocking power of a high velocity bullet is considerable and even if you do not squarely impact the vertibrae, the impact damage will cause the animal to drop immediately. The severed carotid and jugular will mean that he is effectively dead in seconds after that. High speed bullets like the .243,.25/06 and .270 come to mind. Thinking about it the .44 magnum for example might be different as they just bore a calibre sized hole right through; the slowest bullet I have neckshot a stag with is a .30/30 from memory (worked fine, no pass through, bullet impacted vertibrae) but realistically, the neck is an intensely vulnerable target, and with anything like reasonable shooting you are golden.
    Hi Carlsen, that's not exactly what I meant but you're right mate a bit of muscle around the next wouldn't be any stop to the bullet!
    I haven't had much experience with neckshots like I said but what you say about the shock seems legit. I do recall someones write up awhile back which is what had be wondering what i posted originally. Here it is http://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co.n...t-2013-a-5443/ If you have a look at the third pic it looks like the bullet is below the vertebrae and it is still in tact? The chunk of meat missing from the throat means those vessels would definitely have been smashed and it would have bled out as you said. I'm pretty surprised it went 150m, that deer is champion haha. I reckon this deer would be the exception not the rule but interesting nonetheless aye. The cal was .270.
    Yeah nah bro

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt.