Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
Like Tree283Likes

Thread: Not again!

Man I hate reading this sort of stuff, makes me feel sick. I have never hunted the roar properly before in fear of this happening to myself or others in my hunting party, but this year I intend on doing it. If he shot the dog, then I expect the hunter shot at it thinking it was a deer/goat and then saw the hunter move and fired and that also. Just speculating, but it doesn't matter how it happen, the problem is it has and some family and friends are going to be devastated.

Is there any merit balloting public blocks at all times to minimise the chance of this happening in the future? How else can this be prevented? I'm going bush in 3 days and this has scared the shit out of me!!
    kokako likes this.

Hold on we all drive cars, thats a terrible risk!! Its bad that these things happen, but the odds are stacked in your favour, just be careful and aware of your surrounding, best you can do.
    GWH, crewe2, Gibo and 7 others like this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    Jesus. I have a mate up there now, with his dog! Just talked with his old man. Fingers crossed.
    Bro that's not good

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

Quote Originally Posted by Shagsnz View Post
    Is there any merit balloting public blocks at all times to minimise the chance of this happening in the future? How else can this be prevented? I'm going bush in 3 days and this has scared the shit out of me!!
    Don't stress about it mate just be cautious.
    Where blue to make yourself better seen

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by Shagsnz View Post
    Happens in balloted blocks all the time. Often the same hunting party unfortunately.

Stay safe out there all.
    199p likes this.

I've got a month off work at the moment and you can stick the roar right up your ass. This happens every year without fail. There will be one or two more yet. Mark my words.
    There are far too many idiots with a FAL these days who have never even seen a deer let alone shot one. Safer playing golf and will head back in June when it's quietened down.
    bully and Pengy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    Jesus wept. What sort of cunt shoots the dog too ?

Unfortunately balloting hasn't stopped this in the past. We do not know the details on this one yet, but most others in the past have been the result of a hunting party member pulling the trigger. So unless the block was balloted to one rifle per block, it's likely to to continue in a similar was if there is no other intervention or process added.

The human mind is a tricky beast and the brain will make you see what it wants you to see. Trusting ourselves ability to make the right decision is difficult. This take a lot of mental conditioning and training over long periods of time. Some of the most experienced hunters still believe today that they correctly identified their target as a deer, before shooting their mate/family member.

This is always tragic, as is a cyclist getting hit by a car/hit, a toddler being backed over in the driveway or any other incident when a 3rd party is harmed by another persons actions(rightly or wrongly).
    Lentil likes this.

Ejected
    Hopefully the dog hasn't been shot and comes out alright

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan F View Post
    The article simply states that the dog had been injured which could really mean anything.
    Tommy likes this.

Wait for all the information to come out before speculating what happened. There are all sorts of things that might have happened. Might have only been one shot that happened to hit both the hunter and dog.

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan F View Post
    The details will likely come out, but will be interesting to see if there was two shots fired, or just one (pass through). Bugger me, tragic, sad, and makes me dam angry this keeps happening. Thoughts are with the families.

Quote Originally Posted by stug View Post
    Wait for all the information to come out before speculating what happened. There are all sorts of things that might have happened. Might have only been one shot that happened to hit both the hunter and dog.
    Stop speculating
    Petros_mk, 199p, zimmer and 1 others like this.