Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree130Likes

Thread: NZDA worth joining.

Quote Originally Posted by Pengy View Post
    If they really want to boost membership, the first year should be cheaper, or even free.
    Clearly they dont.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

If they really want to boost membership, the first year should be cheaper, or even free.
    As a member of another club, I can state that this method does not do anyone any good. What happens is they join up, turn up for the first months then when the membership fee is due for renewal, most seem to decide it is too much and let it lapse and disappear as they got it cheap to start with.

Our club has done a lot of investing in the ranges and shooter development and spends a lot of time teaching the new members safety, protocol and helping with their shooting before allowing them sole access to the range. We went to a membership fee structure with the join up do cover some of the join up costs, but have dropped some of the other costs related to joining. One of our requirements has always been a number of supervised visits on public nights to ensure that the new members are familiar with the rules and safety protocols in place for everyone and to meet other members before being allowed free rein. This used to be at the members cost as they are not yet members. By making the joining fee include the cost of these visits it is hoped that it will streamline the joining process to mean that rather than limiting the number of times they visit to the minimum needed for membership to be approved, (to keep their cost down), they are welcome to visit as frequently as they want until we are all much safer as a group.

I like to think we are a welcoming bunch and by encouraging frequent visits during the sign up process we like to get to know them and get them to know us as well. I often head out to the range to sight in one rifle and spend hours there helping others solve issues simply because they want the help.

NB I am not a member of deer stalkers. From what I hear Chch was not as bad as all that but I cannot say for sure as I have never actually been there, but I was a member of Blenheim many years ago when I was much younger and they were good then....
    kiwijames likes this.

I joined the Palmy branch when I was 17 - 52 years ago - I helped put the first coat of paint on the roof when they bought the hall from a church - I spent several years donating meat and processing it for stalls in the Square to raise funds for the hall development - I ended up on the committee - but when I became a serious meat hunter to build my own home - I got the message from the committee that it was not an acceptable practice - so I resigned and got on with it - at that stage I had been on a couple of South Island club trips - a wapiti cull and a west coast tahr/chamois hunt
    A year or so back I joined the Tauranga branch as an oldie - I was hoping to get back into regular hunting and club trips - but found it very difficult to break into the old boys groups - not once was I introduced at a meeting as a new member - the only buggar that showed any friendship was Maca49 - after about four meetings I gave up and haven’t renewed my membership
    If I can respectfully offer some advice to NZDA - please make some effort to introduce new members at meetings and try to get them involved in club trips or range shoots
    Shootm and GWH like this.

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    NZDA via NATEX really need to address a lot of these problems as they are the same old problems through a number of branches (especially the smaller ones). We experieinced similar issues in Hastings but thanks to a progressive and involved committee this was turned around.
    Tauranga is a pretty big branch now so I would have thought this older mentality would have been lost. They had a great bunch of guys on committee and did a lot of good trips last time I looked.
    Hutt Valley and Thames plus one of the AKL branches were large and really well organised. Maybe those on DA committees here need to reach out and get some ideas? NZDA for all its flaws is the best vehicle we as hunters have to be recognised as interested parties. I regularly suggest, and will again that the model Forest & Bird use would be a good path to follow.
    Those of you who have left or are feeling disenfranchised need to speak up at your committee meetings. Its not the hunter way I know, usually we're a solitary type who doesn't make too much noise so its hard to do but it needs to be done. Those clubs that have made the step forward are doing pretty well with engaged members and a lot of fun.
    Last edited by kiwijames; 28-10-2016 at 09:43 AM.
    Blaser and GWH like this.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

Taupo NZDA president and reps agreed in May again, to 1080-ing of Kaimanawa's RHA over several years. Currently agreed to 10 more years as per the resource consents , of poisoning in Clements area.

Forgotmaboltagain+1

Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    Taupo NZDA president and reps agreed in May again, to 1080-ing of Kaimanawa's RHA over several years. Currently agreed to 10 more years as per the resource consents , of poisoning in Clements area.
    LOL gotta roll out the 1080 dig. NZDA Presidents have about as much weight as a a chocolate fish on a Hoki trawler. NZDA policy has always been against the use of 1080.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

Not saying that is not the case, but the first impressions from a quick visit to the NZDA website (as any potential new member would do), is that they seem to be promoting the so called battle for the birds etc.
    Just my 2 c worth
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Not saying that is not the case, but the first impressions from a quick visit to the NZDA website (as any potential new member would do), is that they seem to be promoting the so called battle for the birds etc.
    Just my 2 c worth
    Of course they are. Hunters are just as keen to see our native biodiversity as anyone. They are wanting to be inclusive and offer another perspective by other users not just a one sided opinion. DOC often fail to consult properly. Thats my take anyway.
    Out of interest @Pengy, are you a NZDA member. Not judging, just you would be better informed as to NZDA's motives by being a member if you are not.
    Blaser likes this.

For an organization that is supposed to be the voice of hunters,all about sustainable game management and against the indiscriminate use of 1080 poison they are fairly quiet! I feel they are reluctant to speak out too loudly for fear of upsetting doc and losing invites to culling operations etc for some of the old boys club.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    veitnamcam, K95 and 257weatherby like this.
    Using Tapatalk

How about the questionnaire about battle for our birds on their front page (which is what I assume Pengy was referring to), the results of which were used by the NZDA to secure deer repellant on several 1080 drops that had not been going to get any.. On some fairly nationally important deer herds too.

Maybe they've recognised that being 100% anti-1080 only gets you ignored politically, and achieves nothing?

You do realise, also, that the national executive office is literally just half a dozen volunteers, doing the best they can, when they're being constantly asked to do more and more by people who seem very reluctant to do anything themselves to help?

We have the exact same troubles at branch level - loud voices demanding results, that snap closed as soon as help is requested. It's not a sustainable situation.
    kiwijames, deer243 and 308 like this.

I am a member.
    I am a member mainly for range access as Nelson has one of the best NZDA ranges in the country.
    Unfortunally range access has become a lot more difficult over the last couple of years and as a result I have pretty much stopped shooting.....which means my kids have stopped shooting too.
    Dont get me wrong Nelson still has a great range and reasonable access compared to other regions but access has gone from basicly daylight hours access to having to be let in and out of forestry at certain times on weekends...which unfortunatly does not fit my life with kids and a wife working odd hours.

Nelson Nzda also appeared to be improving relationships with the DOC which I applaud with hunts being run in high number areas of pest animals with I think the dept footing the chopper bill tho I could be off the mark there.

Good hunts courses are run.

Good meetings with good guest speakers on intersting topics are regular but due to my family life I can rarely attend.

If say you had just got your lisence at 16 and turned up at a meeting no doubt you would think wow what a bunch of old pricks at a meeting but all are approchable and willing to share.

All corresponance is sent via email and that does not suit me.

I check email maybe twice a year...if I remember.

I am not an "active" member tho I could be, I just need notice.

The relevant people have my number.

Txt or ring I never look at emails you know who you are.

Sent from my SM-G800Y using Tapatalk
    GWH, mikee and deer243 like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

NZDA worth joining.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    I am a member.
    I am a member mainly for range access as Nelson has one of the best NZDA ranges in the country.
    Unfortunally range access has become a lot more difficult over the last couple of years and as a result I have pretty much stopped shooting.....which means my kids have stopped shooting too.
    Dont get me wrong Nelson still has a great range and reasonable access compared to other regions but access has gone from basicly daylight hours access to having to be let in and out of forestry at certain times on weekends...which unfortunatly does not fit my life with kids and a wife working odd hours.

Nelson Nzda also appeared to be improving relationships with the DOC which I applaud with hunts being run in high number areas of pest animals with I think the dept footing the chopper bill tho I could be off the mark there.

Good hunts courses are run.

Good meetings with good guest speakers on intersting topics are regular but due to my family life I can rarely attend.

If say you had just got your lisence at 16 and turned up at a meeting no doubt you would think wow what a bunch of old pricks at a meeting but all are approchable and willing to share.

All corresponance is sent via email and that does not suit me.

I check email maybe twice a year...if I remember.

I am not an "active" member tho I could be, I just need notice.

The relevant people have my number.

Txt or ring I never look at emails you know who you are.

Sent from my SM-G800Y using Tapatalk
    I heard the new president is heaps better than the old one @Rogers270
    Last edited by kiwijames; 28-10-2016 at 08:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by StrikerNZ View Post
    How about the questionnaire about battle for our birds on their front page (which is what I assume Pengy was referring to), the results of which were used by the NZDA to secure deer repellant on several 1080 drops that had not been going to get any.. On some fairly nationally important deer herds too.

Maybe they've recognised that being 100% anti-1080 only gets you ignored politically, and achieves nothing?

You do realise, also, that the national executive office is literally just half a dozen volunteers, doing the best they can, when they're being constantly asked to do more and more by people who seem very reluctant to do anything themselves to help?

We have the exact same troubles at branch level - loud voices demanding results, that snap closed as soon as help is requested. It's not a sustainable situation.
    I agree, not that im all for it but i think the NZDA has flown the white flag when it comes to being 100% anti 1080 and protesting loudly as they know they going to get nowhere and strain relations with DOC, Forest and Bird and the Government. They have decided to go down the middle road and try to secure little wins, ie deer repellant, and have a little say on certain herds of interest etc.
    They scratch DOCS back big time, in return get little but some benefits they prob wouldnt of got going down the anti 1080 at all cost road.
    I suppose trying to work with the powers to be instead of being in a total war you cant win you get to win some battles . Only problem is do you really think deer repellant is a win, some say yes, i personally dont think it is as i dont think its very effective at all and more the point it doesnt stop the wide spread posioning of this country and the living things in it.
    Woody likes this.

@kiwijames.
    No, I am not currently a member, hence my visit to the web site.
    Firstlly, I am not condemning NZDA without first being armed with facts. I was simply pointing out that as a potential new member, who is against the wide spread us of ariel applied 1080, it was something of a surprise after reading your statement about the organisation being anti 1080, to be greeted on the home page by a huge DOC/Battle for the birds advert.
    Everyone is, or should by now be aware of what this `battle` entails in terms of 1080, so it seems at odds with the supposed NZDA attitude.
    Mixed messages being sent out ?? Bit like going on the cat protection league website and being greeted by Gareth morgan

As for the survey, I could not see anything there to protest the use of 1080, simply options to have a say about timing of drops and inclusion of deer repellent.
    The fact that our major hunting organisation fights to have deer repellent used, rather than trying to get a total ban, smacks of self interest, especially to the non hunting franternity.

I honestly believe that the vast majority of hunters here are conservation minded, but that some are being mis represented.

Will I be joining any time soon?? I doubt it.
    Last edited by Pengy; 28-10-2016 at 09:21 PM.
    veitnamcam, deer243, blake and 2 others like this.
    Forgotmaboltagain+1