Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Old buggers hunt

Big Fish 1
    you should have a good time-I tow my poptop to road end and camp up there-Have got 3 in the last 12months or so -all on track thru to Skips-love the place..Have a good one.

Gone but not forgotten Gapped axe's Avatar
    Years ago I built a couple of campsites in there. One half way between Rogers and the Mangakahika saddle and one in the Bullring down towards Central. They had flushing loos and hot showers. Only the best for the walking tourists. Mid 80's
    tetawa likes this.
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

Heaps of animals around there, they are used to vehicle noise but are never far from a road or track. If you hobble somewhere off up a side then I would say you will bump something

Hi guys, Thanks for the imfo, I`m shooting down on Sunday 9th with my 3030 and the Sharps for fun, using mainly the 3030 as the Sharps is 12.1/2 lbs, have made a sling for it, but!!!, yer. Will not be walking to far up the track as last time I did that in the Pureora I had bad leg cramp, I found a quick fix, slap on a packet of frozen sausages and they still tasted good after being on my hairy legs, . So just nice and slowly, to work my legs in and just have a good look around the area . Homebrew.357.
    Beaker, Gibo, Tommy and 1 others like this.

I'll bring a cold one....

Sounds great to me, last time I was in here with a mate we tramp into Skips in steel toe caped safety boots, bloody froze my feet off. It was a learning curve , but I shot my first deer with my old .303. Also will have a look around south road area for a spot to camp in during the roar and if I can get the caravan in there. Cheers, defiantly chuck the billy on for anyone how calls in and a blue berry muffin. Hombrew.357.
    tetawa likes this.

Hunt report!, I think I've worn four years off my hip joint in that up and down country, got some info on the river flats so had a good look around them, but the only deer I saw had already seen me, so no luck and the fridge packed up and just got home with a cracked towbar!. Next time I`m flying in. Homebrew.357.
    veitnamcam and Frogfeatures like this.

Auckland, until I can escape south....to Southland.
    At least you got out there !
    Beats sitting at home
    keneff likes this.
    He nui to ngaromanga, he iti to putanga.

You depart with mighty boasts, but you come back having done little.
    Sounds like a typical hunting trip !

Think of all the shorty street bits I missed, , I have sussed it out for next time, I now know where they are, just have to find them! Cheers, Homebrew.357.

Quote Originally Posted by Gapped axe View Post
    Years ago I built a couple of campsites in there. One half way between Rogers and the Mangakahika saddle and one in the Bullring down towards Central. They had flushing loos and hot showers. Only the best for the walking tourists. Mid 80's
    The last time I wondered through there about 3 years ago all the gear was still in place, including a hand driven concrete mixer, shovels and a wheel burrow

Quote Originally Posted by Biggun708 View Post
    Was up there last week, road is all fixed up and the campground is primo... The hut is gone, thank God! Shouldn't take you to long to see a bit of sign.... The creek is overgrown due to the horses being rounded up last year but still an awesome place for a couple of days! What dates are you going? I'm hoping to be there next week for a night or two..

Which hut is gone? I'm guessing Mid Okahu?

That would be a shame even though it was scummy as hell as it was a good refuge when arriving late as.

Hi guys, yep , the hut has gone and the road in is ok, had a look up the end track but no sign, so hunted the river flats, a few cows still in there but looks good up the old logging tracks, will give it a go again maybe April . Had a look at the main / south rd , but 4x4 only I think, my poor ford focus was thinking it`s a land rover. pics of my glamping.
    Name:  P1020703.JPG
Views: 216
Size:  157.2 KB, Base camp.
    Name:  P1020701.JPG
Views: 244
Size:  156.6 KB, where the hut was.
    Name:  P1020700.JPG
Views: 240
Size:  155.3 KB, My hunting style.
    gadgetman, tetawa and 223nut like this.

Like your style!

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    I haven't been down there since Te Uruwera went to the Puhoi. How was the permit process?
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Getting permits from Tuhoe is easier than dealing with DOC.
    Cspence likes this.
    The Biggest Room is the Room for Improvement