Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Ejected

Planning a trip... Coin toss? (Nelson Lakes, Lake Tennyson)

Hoping to spend 4 days wandering around and maybe shooting something, currently the plan is to either park near the Matakitaki Station and head south up the Matakitaki river, or park near Lake Tennyson and head east over St James and north up the Waiau river. Keen on the area because I've never been around there before, but what do you guys think?

No sure bout the top of waiau but lower down numbers are very low, should b a few chamoi running round the tops

Go to which ever one you like.....big part of hunting is exploring new country regardless of what animal numbers are like

Ejected
    Yeah for sure, keen to just get out. Curious about any river crossings and how the place responds to weather, what it's like at the moment due to this warm winter etc. Also keen on animals but not expecting a great deal of spot sharing with my currently low input to the forum so far

Do you think the low numbers in the lower part of waiau is mainly due to choppers? It's all pretty open. Bit more bush up the top end. Better time of year for some chamois anyway.

most likely choppers know they 'hanmer' the area

Where are you based @Jack_?

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_ View Post
    Yeah for sure, keen to just get out. Curious about any river crossings and how the place responds to weather, what it's like at the moment due to this warm winter etc. Also keen on animals but not expecting a great deal of spot sharing with my currently low input to the forum so far

Do you think the low numbers in the lower part of waiau is mainly due to choppers? It's all pretty open. Bit more bush up the top end. Better time of year for some chamois anyway.

In Cannibal Gorge/Ada(20km SE) today, snow down to about 1350asl and the rivers are pretty low, last week there was virtually no snow on the tops.
    Hopefully one day I will get into where you are going looks like cool country.

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    Where are you based @Jack_?
    I'm in Chch but I'm not paying for gas

Good to know Bugbait. Will let you know how it goes (if there's a good story )