Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Possums

Gone but not forgotten Gapped axe's Avatar
    gheese Dougie! are trying to put him off or what. I agree with the bit about trapping on tracks and the dead carcase bit. Elise and I trap both private and DOC land and we certainly try and dispose of the carcase discreetly. Not that hungry to eat them thou. Like wallaby meat.

I've never had a close look at one, I used to shoot them with a cousin at night when I was young.
    Talking about the carcassess you saw on that walk, how many hunters do you reckon are like that? The cousin I mentioned almost got shot by a drunk with a gun who thought he was a deer walking down the road wearing a high vis jacket.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Pativis View Post
    All you guys have been really helpful, thanks!
    I know guys that know a lot of farmers, and I've contacted the doc incase I'm allowed to trap in a reserve closer to home.

So what parts of the possum should I pluck? Sniper mentioned that I shouldn't get too much belly fur, I'll only be plucking the belly a bit in the winter.
    The head fur is definitely too short, but what about the tail? Is tail fur too thin or short?
    I also want to make the most of the possum corpse. Apparently you can sell the carcass to have it made into fine cuisine in China or something. What else can I do to make a profit off the buggers, other than selling the fur?
    if your doing this part time id just sell the fur mate.Fur buyers don't want fur under 10mm long ie belly fluff ,and tail fur is corse and easily picked up buy the buyer.theres farms all along the edge of willies out the back of upper hutt and up behind the haywards.thats close enough for a city slicker isn't it?.im guessing you need proof of TB free carcases id imagine to sell the meat.good luck.

Sorry, yeah someone let me out of my cage last night and no Pativis, I don't think many trappers are like the person/people responsible for that track full of smelly dead possums. (They looked to not even be plucked? Really weird, we didn't see any poison either but muzzle on the dog just in case.)
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

How feasible is it to shoot the buggers as opposed to traping?

Not very feasible on public land as rimfires are not allowed without a special permit and hunting at night is illegal

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Banned
    Traps are far more economoic

Welcome to the thread. Trapping is by far the best way, with leg hold traps the preffered method. The most reputable brands are dukes, victors and bushmaster. Traps, Bait & Accessories for sale at Trappers Cyanide Ltd - Canterbury, New Zealand sell bushmaster. You put a lure on a tree, usually either cinnamon, aniseed or eucalyptus oil mixed with flour and rubbed above the trap, to draw the possums in. Doc offers trapping permits, but most are taken, quite often even when people aren't actively trapping, just "booking" the block for themselves so that others can't use it and/or letting numbers increase. Get in with a farmer. Also you have the option of skinning or plucking. Skinning can make you more money, but you have a lot more work to do, and if you have to hike into your trapping area you have to carry all the skins/carcasses out. As mentioned above, pluck the fur by hand while the 'coon is still warm.
    Look in the small game hunting on this forum and fishn'hunt.co.nz there's a goldmine of info on this subject.

Quote Originally Posted by mitch270 View Post
    Welcome to the thread. Trapping is by far the best way, with leg hold traps the preffered method. The most reputable brands are dukes, victors and bushmaster. Traps, Bait & Accessories for sale at Trappers Cyanide Ltd - Canterbury, New Zealand sell bushmaster. You put a lure on a tree, usually either cinnamon, aniseed or eucalyptus oil mixed with flour and rubbed above the trap, to draw the possums in. Doc offers trapping permits, but most are taken, quite often even when people aren't actively trapping, just "booking" the block for themselves so that others can't use it and/or letting numbers increase. Get in with a farmer. Also you have the option of skinning or plucking. Skinning can make you more money, but you have a lot more work to do, and if you have to hike into your trapping area you have to carry all the skins/carcasses out. As mentioned above, pluck the fur by hand while the 'coon is still warm.
    Look in the small game hunting on this forum and fishn'hunt.co.nz there's a goldmine of info on this subject.
    I will add to your list of possum lure brews and it is very effective and works well I was put onto it by an old trapper and I put a young feller here onto it and he has had success and it is curry powder added to the flour. OP you can pluck the tail fur but must be kept separate so take all fur apart from belly fur and remember to keep that tail fur away from the body fur by putting it in its own bag. Jeeze dougie remind me not to piss you off lol
    RULE 4: IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET BEYOND ALL DOUBT

To be a Human is to be an Alien, ask the animals, We invade this world and we are killing it, we are destroying the earth and nobody gives a fuck except for the animals

Curry flour, attracts rats big time.

Liquorice or eucalyptus are my favourites but cinnamon also works well. I just get a kilo bag from bininn and mix it with 20 kilos of flour. If you use the cinnamon you can use it to make real tasty camp bread.

1st I use "whole meal" flour & 80grams of ground cloves to 1.5kg flour.
    If the weather turns to shit use Peanut butter it doesn't wash off like flour lure.
    Gun control means using both hands

Quote Originally Posted by 260hunter View Post
    Liquorice or eucalyptus are my favourites but cinnamon also works well. I just get a kilo bag from bininn and mix it with 20 kilos of flour. If you use the cinnamon you can use it to make real tasty camp bread.
    Yep and to waterproof it mix it with cooking oil awesome.

Chinese five spice mixed with flour works well as a lure, The go pest traps are about $7 from their website. I have had more success on farm fringes than in the native. Seem to catch alot of rats in the bush(not as much fur)
    I buy the big squeezy tom sauce bottles from plastics shop for the lure and carry hammer for smacking staples and possums.You can also sell the plucked carcasses for a dollar a kilo (if you can be bothered)They use for petfood.
    Dawsons fur website had some info.I was getting about a 50% catch when I first trapped an area but it quickly falls off then its time to look elsewhere.
    They pay slightly more for hand plucked fur as the plucking process does not damage the hollow fibre as the machine can. they like the fur to be 2.5cm which is the back and round the hind legs.
    Hope this helps and good luck

My Daughter hard at work at her part time holiday job. 2 hours x 7 mornings which included setting 2 new lines and presto 3.5kgs of fur. 14 hrs all up and $400 bucks of fur. Works out ideal for her as she is studying NCEA this year. Beats stacking supermarket shelves for $9 an hour or what ever the student rate is. The other photo is Tilly our Australian Terrier, she won't go within 30mtrs of a trapped possum, little chicken shit. Name:  Photo005.jpg
Views: 2431
Size:  412.1 KBName:  Photo001.jpg
Views: 2425
Size:  601.6 KB
    sneeze, veitnamcam, Dundee and 6 others like this.