Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: Pretty stoked!

Pretty stoked!

Been practising some "long range" shots in a friend property, today he told me that I can shoot as many goats I want with the condition of take it home.
    On the way up the hill I came across a sheep stuck in a rose bush so I decide to untangle it. Damn good carma came quick.
    As I went back to where I left my back pack I start to glass just above the place where I practice my LR shooting and "BANG"! There was a mob of 10 goats, thought it was a bit too far and decide to range it. From an off hand position my range finder read 660 meter but I was not happy with the reading because I was shaking all over the place. Got my walking stick and rest the binos/range finder on it and got a more accurate reading at 675 meters, thought in walk close but some of them start to head up hill and that was not good, so I decide "I can do it and I will shoot it from here".
    I take my rifle from the back pack and set it up, I double check the range, check my ballistic app, estimate the wind and loaded the magazine in to the rifle, few thoughts passed throughout my mind but I was sure I can do it, deep breath and relax and I let the shot go, "BOOM"! Black goat down on his tracks like a potatoes bag, a excitement rush thru and I release ad and sighted another one and "BOOM" another one down, wow! What a rush!
    Well, now come the part where "you"(I) need to deal with the "long range recovery"... 675 meters going up hill(straight line) with a very "soggy" ground and the weather closing in...
    Like a fairy tale everything finished well, I am very happy/stoked with my shooting and can't wait to shoot some "TARGETS" at long range again, because them I don't need to recover it... Unless it is down hill, LOL!

Cheers.

Mac

Rifle configuration:
    Ruger Precision Rifle caliber 6.5 Creedmoor,
    Hand loads, 42gn of ADI2209, 140gn Hornady ELD-M, Federal 210M on Hornady twice fired cases.
    Average velocity = 2760ft/s

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1439
Size:  214.9 KB
    puku, jakewire, Wildman and 28 others like this.

Very nice, i have had the opportunity to shoot one in 308 at gongs to 800 m very impressed. Not what i would consider an easy to carry or light hunting rifle but i want one dont need it just want it.
    PERRISCICABA likes this.

Nice one Mac
    PERRISCICABA likes this.

Great. Just watched Doc Watson's video on this same piece of kit and now I get to read about another one hahaha lucky bastards. Damn they look pretty
    PERRISCICABA likes this.

nice if only they made them in left hand

Huk
    Shit good one like Marty Henry dont need one but would be nice to have one well done understand how your stoked

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    Excellent shooting,
    Excellent speeds,
    Excellent recovery.
    Beaker and PERRISCICABA like this.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Awesome mac. Just parachute in for collection next time 😉

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk

Nice one Mac.
    PERRISCICABA likes this.

Great stuff !

Thank you everyone who liked and reply, even knowing it is just a "goat" it can be very taste too.
    I am very humble for all the comments and likes I get in this forum, I see and read a lot of great things in here but the must important is, how friendly and helpful all of you guys here are.
    Keep the great work everyone, I do love the great environment I believe we have in here.

Cheers

Mac
    puku, wsm junkie, camo wsm and 3 others like this.

Nice shooting that creedmoor certainly has the legs to do the job at long range.

Quote Originally Posted by Mooseman View Post
    Nice shooting that creedmoor certainly has the legs to do the job at long range.
    I actually got this rifle on the purpose to use as a main target rifle, this "hunt" was just a luck one as I was heading for some target practise.

Cheers

Mac

Excellent work mac.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Well Done! I am getting into long range hunting as of lately and would like to congratulate you on your harvest.
    PERRISCICABA likes this.