Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

View Poll Results: What do you think needs to be done with the "Hunting & Wildlife" mag.

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • Keep it as is, I don't mind paying for the H&W mag.

14 25.45%
  • Ditch the mag & take the dollars off my subs.

13 23.64%
  • Ditch the mag & invest those funds into other NZDA thingy's.

28 50.91%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree130Likes

Thread: A question for NZDA members

Quote Originally Posted by scoped View Post
    Bagherra is right on the money

for a start yes the magazine is a fair waste of time and money , the nzda national body know this and changes are going to be made in the near future.
    in terms of the content, as above, if you want to see good stuff, then why not write an article? they pay good coin for good articles ($100 a page)
    referred to as an old boys club, well why not get stuck in, get involved and try and change that?

the NZDA have to be careful they dont fall behind the times, its already happening and theres plenty of people and media outlets that are quite easily walking all over things they SHOULD be doing to influence hunter's voice and rights in NZ at this time.

Agree,

All too easy to yell don't kick it pass it from the sidelines but when you get the ball passsed and Owen franks has you lined up suddenly youve done your hammy
    Mind you my hammy is getting tight after 4 years secretary work at the local club, all part of rolling your sleeves up tho.

Ps, like and follow our Facebook page http://www.nzdanapier.org.nz/facebook.html

Shot
    Last edited by Kooza; 22-03-2017 at 01:37 PM.
    kiwijames and Maca49 like this.
    Went to buy some camouflage trousers the other day but I couldn't find any.

Quote Originally Posted by Kooza View Post
    Agree,

All too easy to yell don't kick it pass it from the sidelines but when you get the ball passsed and Owen franks has you lined up suddenly youve done your hammy
    Mind you my hammy is getting tight after 4 years secretary work at the local club, all part of rolling your sleeves up tho.

Ps, like and follow our Facebook page Our Facebook | NZDA Napier

Shot
    all due respect but FB is total BS and i will never go to any FB page
    veitnamcam, mikee, LOC and 1 others like this.

Oh dear - the usual gripes about an organisation that has 'lost it's way' a bit.
    Volunteer run clubs (I belong to a couple - one Smallbore, one motorcycle), will always have a time constraint of work, health, environment to deal with.
    Local full bore club has had to arrange a different venue, as the previous 'longterm arrangement' fell over due to altered farming practices.
    Was thinking of joining the local NZDA group, but am somewhat wary of the national organisation not doing what it was elected to do.
    And the obvious disappointment felt by club members who've been to meetings and been allocated the 'cone of ignore it and it'll go away'.
    Unfortunately, the 'old members know best' ideas aren't working, so it's time for those who want a change in attitude of the older members, to man up, step up and get the 'motor' running again.
    If work, family commitments don't fit the club meeting nights, change the club meeting night.
    That may mean that overtime, shift swaps or Mum having to coach the kids footy, basketball, scout group for a couple of sessions, until the 'stars align' and you can become a contributing member.
    The motorcycle club has been planning the 2017 National Rally for nearly 4 years, as the host club.
    Approximately 12-15 people will make it work, 25-30 won't show up and the rest think it's a shit performance because they weren't involved - but they didn't volunteer, so tough bikkies to that lot.
    I've been collared on to the Smallbore club committee, so it's my opportunity to grow that club to be a bigger, better organisation.
    Being retired and having a 'go ahead' mind in a 'slow it down' body, isn't going to stop me recommending changes and exposure to the general public.
    Naysayers will be listened to, and if appropriate - ignored.
    6 active members are small return for one of the larger post-war clubs in the North Island.
    My challenge awaits - can you do the same for the NZDA?
    Bernie and Beaker like this.

Wouldn't join again, When I started hunting from Auckland the branch there was good, later I joined down here in BOP and while there were some really good buggers that tried hard to make things happen there were a lot that were living in there own little world, some wouldn't give you the time of day. The NZDA needs a good up lift how I am not sure but it seams to be slowly fading away.
    Danny and JasonW like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Our local president was super on the side of all shooters when he published this on the front page of the BT

Attachment 65849
    Exactly.

I didn't even get the respect of a reply when I asked what he meant.

xxx xxx<xxx@xtra.co.nz>
    To president@deerstalkers.co.nz
    CC Daniel Friedman 05/11/16 at 10:00 AM
    Hi Dave,
    Im not sure of the intention in your message about MSSAs being weapons and not hunting tools.
    I hunt with bolt action rimfires and centrefires, with pump action shotguns and with semi auto centrefires. Some of the semis happen to be MSSAs due to a number of features, some are treated as Acat rifles again due to certain features, or lack of. Of course I have the correct endorsement to own MSSAs and follow the rules for that endorsement.
    When I hunt goats, deer, pigs, rabbits and hares with my purpose built hunting AR15 which happens to be a MSSA, it is a tool for legal hunting purposes, so that makes it a hunting firearm, not a weapon.
    Similarly when I hunt with my bolt actions or my Acat semi auto centrefires they are hunting firearms, not weapons.
    When I target shoot with my fully wooded 1942 M1938 Swedish Mauser, my Sako 75 bolt action centrefires or my MSSA AR15 Service class rifle in competitions or just to practise at the range, they are target rifles, they are not weapons.
    When I target shoot my pump action shotgun at clays, it's then a target shotgun, not a weapon.
    It's the purpose of use that makes a firearm what it is. None of mine are weapons, not my MSSAs, not my bolt actions, not my Acat semis, not my shotgun.
    I hope you have the time to clarify what your message was please.
    Kind regards,
    xxxx
    Sent from my iPhone
    Welcome to Sako club.

Quote Originally Posted by dogmatix View Post
    Exactly.

I didn't even get the respect of a reply when I asked what he meant.

xxx xxx<xxx@xtra.co.nz>
    To president@deerstalkers.co.nz
    CC Daniel Friedman 05/11/16 at 10:00 AM
    Hi Dave,
    Im not sure of the intention in your message about MSSAs being weapons and not hunting tools.
    I hunt with bolt action rimfires and centrefires, with pump action shotguns and with semi auto centrefires. Some of the semis happen to be MSSAs due to a number of features, some are treated as Acat rifles again due to certain features, or lack of. Of course I have the correct endorsement to own MSSAs and follow the rules for that endorsement.
    When I hunt goats, deer, pigs, rabbits and hares with my purpose built hunting AR15 which happens to be a MSSA, it is a tool for legal hunting purposes, so that makes it a hunting firearm, not a weapon.
    Similarly when I hunt with my bolt actions or my Acat semi auto centrefires they are hunting firearms, not weapons.
    When I target shoot with my fully wooded 1942 M1938 Swedish Mauser, my Sako 75 bolt action centrefires or my MSSA AR15 Service class rifle in competitions or just to practise at the range, they are target rifles, they are not weapons.
    When I target shoot my pump action shotgun at clays, it's then a target shotgun, not a weapon.
    It's the purpose of use that makes a firearm what it is. None of mine are weapons, not my MSSAs, not my bolt actions, not my Acat semis, not my shotgun.
    I hope you have the time to clarify what your message was please.
    Kind regards,
    xxxx
    Sent from my iPhone
    Had this discussion with him in person. "they're all derived from M16's, and you can't shoot deer with them" was the response, I shit you not. The man is a fool. He also holds an E endorsement, still waiting to hear why, as he then has no lawful purpose to hold the endorsement.
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

Had this discussion with him in person. "they're all derived from M16's, and you can't shoot deer with them" was the response, I shit you not. The man is a fool. He also holds an E endorsement, still waiting to hear why, as he then has no lawful purpose to hold the endorsement.
    Are these thoughts shared with other branch members?

If so vote him off the committee,of course you will need someone suitable who is willing to step up.
    deer243 likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

I think NatExec will make the mag an online or PDF only.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Are these thoughts shared with other branch members?

If so vote him off the committee,of course you will need someone suitable who is willing to step up.
    No longer a member, they sent out the letter for subs recently, no way jose. Volunteered a large portion of what little spare time I had to the assoc while I was a member, but the silence was deafening when this happened. I will be instead spending my time and money at a club where I'm not a heretic for enjoying some parts of sport shooting.
    dogmatix, veitnamcam and Beaker like this.

Quote Originally Posted by scottrods View Post
    I think NatExec will make the mag an online or PDF only.
    Thats going to happen ive been told in the near future.It save costs i suppose

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    YOU as a member voted this person in as YOUR president.
    Just saying.
    Apathy and these problems are hand in glove.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

I actually voted for Mark, but there you go. I didn't leave because of one person, but the general response within the club when el presidente flapped his gob

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    I actually voted for Mark, but there you go. I didn't leave because of one person, but the general response within the club when el presidente flapped his gob
    Totally playing Devil's advocate here, but why then did you not choose to do something about it, rather than walk away?
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

OK . Macca tagged me. I will comment briefly.
    NZDA NATEX has through many years developed certain codes of conduct, policies and stances which have devolved through national AGMs. Some branches have chosen to ignore some of these or put them in the "too hard basket"; not wanting to fight government bureaucracies or worse. (Admittedly, some of the edicts were a bit over the top, and for myself, when I was heavily engaged in meat hunting for money, I withdrew from membership during that period.
    This leads to disjointed and non alignment of central objectives of the association as a whole and a less than fully focussed movement to enhance the recreation of big game hunting. People don't want to get into shit fights with their hunting mates, so many simply walk away or transfer to another branch which they believe is better at supporting the overall national association interests. Small closed administrative admin groups within clubs are part of the problem, but in essence I think the whole association needs to harden up in many respects if it is to succeed in maintaining it's core objectives, which should still primarily centre on enhanced and recognised and protected wild deer management and deer hunting availability nationwide. There remains major conflict with government in this regard.
    dogmatix, kiwijames, mikee and 3 others like this.

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    @Woody very good comments. However your last bit should refer to wild game animals nationwide, we South Islanders have the chamios & tahr that need to be in that loop. I'm sure that's what you really meant anyway.
    dogmatix, deer243 and WallyR like this.