Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree76Likes

Thread: Rabbits and a Long Range Anschultz

Caretaker

Rabbits and a Long Range Anschultz

A nice afternoon here in the bay had me thinking a few bunnies could be about, pup needed food and hunting them can be challenging..........

A while back i had tidied up a 1965 Anschultz .22 and its cool, a little 1316 model with the top bolt, slide ejector and more patina than a mad max movie

Sighting it in was hilarious, i painted a red dot on the front sight with wifeys fingernail polish to provide a contrast and set up an 80 yrd range with a half inch dot on the target.

Set up behind the rifle i had my first smile, and promptly reduced the range to 50yrds

Putting the very top of the front sights red dot on the black dot i sent mildly warm lead down range.

A tap tap here and a loosen/tighten there and we were one inch high at 50yrds. We were good to go.

Crawling ninja like through the shelter belt i set the rifle out in front, fitting a lightweight Harris immediately elevating its status to a " long range Anschultz"

A few targets moved here and there and way off to my left a lighter coloured target, no rangefinding binos today meant this was gonna be a guessing game, old school if you like, figuring about 80yrds i held dead on and concentrating like a 1000yrd shot i sent an averagely speedy 42g sub in its general direction.

I did not hear the hit but brer lept forward at the shot and lay still, flicking the bolt open the slide ejector caused the brass to land on top of my head

The quiet after a shot always relaxes and after observing the others look around and eventually recommence feeding i got up to retrieve.

Neat little machine and ultra light

I feel we are lucky to have the humble bunny here in nz, -where would our hunting careers have started without them !!
    jakewire, P38, 300winmag and 38 others like this.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Hahaha. Enjoyed that yarn, 7mmsaum.

Yep.... the ol" rabbit is an underrated hunting resource. I'd bet your right testicle that 90% of the members here started their hunting careers on the humble bunny. I sure did. So did my lad and my daughter. My wife started on oranges... but that's a WHOLE NEW entertaining story in itself. I still love rabbit hunting.... it help keeps the eye in, keeps you current on the rifle and keeps you honest all while getting some fresh air and exercise. These days I never get to hunt rabbits on my own... kids are always the first ones in the car ready to go.
    TianBotha, 40mm and Got Juice? like this.

Mate I'm selling a 1370, looks identical, is yours a smooth bore as well? If so it works alright with subs then, I thought they were just for the Long shot cartridge...

Always love getting out with the daughter and seeing the look on her face when she knocks a bunny over, damn tasty eating as well
    Last edited by Double Shot; 20-08-2016 at 09:02 PM.

Great wee story. It's one big thing I miss on the island is bunnies

Cool - I have the same rifle here...

Neat little things.
    7mmsaum likes this.

northdude
    Don't ya love getting out there with nothing but an old school rifle and doing it with no gadgets every now and then
    7mmsaum and 223nut like this.

Good yarn mate, nice little rig also. You are 100% right about the humble / mighty rabbit. I've been addicted to shooting them since I was 10yrs old and that was over 40yrs ago now.
    I love the rifles used weather it's a .22 / 17/ 223 etc. The shooting is challenging and very enjoyable .

Hell I've even moved from Bay of Plenty to Cromwell, wife thought it was for the work ......... I am now in rabbit shooters heaven

Love the story, and good to see the use of iron sights again. This day and age it's pretty much unheard of. The humble bunny was my first "big game" and paid the bills for 30+ years.
    7mmsaum likes this.

There's no "L" in Anschutz!

Caretaker
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger 888 View Post
    There's no "L" in Anschutz!

There is now
    Dundee and Dead is better like this.

Inspired me to try turning the Annie 1415 M54 target rifle into a 'long range bunny buster'.
    A mate of mine uses his target rifle for bunny busting, when he wants a challenge - does real well too.
    Just a tad heavy for long 'walkabouts'.
    7mmsaum likes this.

Cool
    I try and take my oldest boy out when I go rabbit shooting, teach him the dos and don'ts and the importance of taking an animals life and not wasting meat etc. the cat usually eats well if I do my bit
    On the rare occasion I manage a head shot Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1369
Size:  272.4 KB
    We do the rabbit in the slow Cooker for tea
    Last edited by Kooza; 23-08-2016 at 08:30 PM.
    7mmsaum, Dundee, gadgetman and 3 others like this.
    Went to buy some camouflage trousers the other day but I couldn't find any.

Caretaker
    There are Rabbits everywhere at the moment, -really good sport and excellent LR practice if you can get them at Deer harvesting distances on farms etc.

Caretaker
    There seems to be a lot more bunnies around in this summers drought, don't think I have ever seen one starve no matter how hard the conditions.

P38
    Must be about time for another visit then @7mmsaum

Cheers
    Pete
    Arguing with an Engineer is like Wrestling a Pig in Mud.

After awhile you realise the Pig loves it.