Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: random question re dogs

random question re dogs

I just read something from an old post on the other forum about a guys dog getting mauled by pig dogs. Now my question is if that is happening and the hunter decides to defend his dog whether it be with his rifle or knife and kills the offending dog(s) are they justified in doing so and what kind of consequences could you face legally. Personally i would but would like to get some more opinions. Hope i never see it happen but obviously not impossible.

Cheers

MSL
    Depends where you are, had a pig dog jump our section fence and maul my sisters lap dog, and I shot the pig dog on the spot once out of the section. The guy was a friend of a family friend and he accepted it, rightly so, but was never to return. If your on public land it's probably considered an unfortunate incident.

northdude
    I don't know if its right or wrong but if your dog would do it for you you kind of owe it to your dog just my opinion tho
    dale, Steve123 and SlowElliot like this.

It happened to me once but it was my dogs doing the mauling 5 dogs vs 1 fark was not good happened on the beech not a stick in sight blew my knuckles out on heads the lady walking the other dog felt it was her fault as I had my dogs walking at my feet & her huge dog looked like a mastiff x came charging over from 100 meters away my dogs actually tucked there tails in for a while there to my relief I didn't want my prised pooches getting there heads chewed off by the beast nic minute dogs on ears under front legs etc in the end I tiped the beast over put my knee on its head & for some reason my dogs must have thought they had done there job & let go ! I thought thank fook for that so I let the other 1 up & the stupid thing growled & it was all on again this time in the water I kept away from beeches after that
    Micky Duck, Martin358 and JasonW like this.

bugger the consequences id save my best mate for sure

interesting question . . my advice, do not kill anyones dogs without permission . . but if you do, get the fck out of the area, a couple of pig hunters will be wanting to do you some major harm.
    without a picture . .. it never happened !

Im pretty sure under the dog control act you have the right to destroy the offending dog on the spot.

Cheers for that mate. I would blow the offending dogs away regardless if it was the law or not but good to know I can.

Fulla
    Not pig dogs or in the bush but I thought your dog must be under control at all times in public.
    I'm often at the beach and it's a nervous time when someones dog runs up to yours. There dog might be harmless, but mine might not be.
    Most owners are shocking and don't get this. It's a nervous time as how do you help defend your dog in the middle of nowhere with only a leash.
    tetawa, Danny and JasonW like this.

I just don't take mine to any public place bully. It's not the dogs that are the issue, I understand them. It's useless owners!

Had a incident three weeks ago where a pig hunters pack wanted to have a piece of my young lab, situation changed when I pointed the 270 in their direction said dogs gone at 100kph

Fulla
    Quote Originally Posted by Pointer View Post
    I just don't take mine to any public place bully. It's not the dogs that are the issue, I understand them. It's useless owners!
    Mines just a pet. I go for the most remote part of the beach away from any body else, at the least busy time. And almost Everytime some dickhead shows up.
    And yes, it's the owner.
    308 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonecrusher View Post
    Had a incident three weeks ago where a pig hunters pack wanted to have a piece of my young lab, situation changed when I pointed the 270 in their direction said dogs gone at 100kph
    See... Even dogs don't like 270s!
    199p, stingray, Boaraxa and 2 others like this.
    "I heard Jesus did cocaine on a night out. Eyes wide-open, dialated, but he's fine now. And if his father ever finds out, then he'd probably knock his lights out...
    Gets a little messy in heaven "
    - Venbee

Had a similar 1-on-1 incident with a Pit Bull dog trying to chew our lapdog's throat, on a dog beach in WA.
    After the third attempt (our lapdog was pretty furry at the time), picked our one up, slapped the Pit Bull so hard it's head left an indent the same shape as its head in the hard sand.
    Female owner was screaming all sorts of obscene language - I told her she'd get the same treatment as her dog, if she didn't control herself in front of the kids on the beach.
    She promptly shut up and her partner (mean-looking but not looking for a 'round or two'), grabbed the mouthy one, dog and himself and scarpered.
    Lucky for the Pitty that the Animal Control people weren't around - the dog would've been impounded, and the owner issued with a public nuisance charge.
    bully, stingray, Boaraxa and 1 others like this.