Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree23Likes
  • 18 Post By hotsoup
  • 1 Post By TianBotha
  • 1 Post By TianBotha
  • 1 Post By hotsoup
  • 1 Post By Mooseman
  • 1 Post By hotsoup

Thread: S.I Tahr Trip - First bull!

S.I Tahr Trip - First bull!

Flew into Christchurch the other week and met up with a mate at a hut in the Mt Cook Region. Was bloody cold! Went for a walk on the first day and couldn't avoid getting the boots wet. Overnight they froze rock hard! And I was fortunate enough to be in a hut! Had to bash the boots with a iron bar to get all the ice off.. Don't get me started on my wet socks haha. -6degrees was the average each morning.. Cold for a North Islander!

We went for a walk the next day and it turned out mint, hardly a cloud in the sky. Breathtaking to be surrounded by snowcapped glistening mountains, I was in awe. I was sitting back in a certain spot late that afternoon and noticed about 600m away a black ball of fur... it was moving! Got out my range finding binos and locked eyes with a stunning majestic bull tahr with an amazing cape. Instantly my heart started racing! He was down low, real low. About 80m above a river.. It was on! Fortunately I had all my gear with me, I was set for a mission.

After a while of crossing rivers and crawling up banks on my hands and knees we were in position about 170m from his last location.. Nowhere to be seen. Hmm. Next minute I notice 1 nanny.. no 3.. at least 10 tahr! Coming through and grazing.. We were desperately trying to locate the bull I had originally seen on his own. But he seemed to be gone...

A short while later 4 hinds appear and are grazing with the tahr, madness, it's like a scene out of lion king! My mate is on my Leica range finders and we both identify a bull.. he seems decent but definitely not the magestic beauty I had originally seen. All the while I'm desperately trying to set up in rem mag in the tall grass with my bipod, an absolutely mission and these tahr are slowly migrating away.. pressure. I managed to get a good setup and have this young bull in my sights... BOOM! I hear an almighty THWACK! and the bull leaps into the air! He's down. Stoked... Fresh tahr backstraps for dinner and a well deserved whiskey that evening. Measured him up, about 10.2", regardless I'm over the moon shooting my first bull and a story that I'll never forget!

I am now itching to go find that bigger boy...

Name:  IMG_3433.jpg
Views: 446
Size:  1.00 MB
    Name:  IMG_3404.jpg
Views: 452
Size:  1,021.7 KB
    Name:  IMG_3444.jpg
Views: 420
Size:  1.02 MB
    Name:  IMG_3455.jpg
Views: 445
Size:  1.01 MB
    Name:  IMG_3471.JPG
Views: 440
Size:  241.3 KB
    Name:  IMG_3374.jpg
Views: 428
Size:  913.5 KB
    Name:  IMG_3387.jpg
Views: 441
Size:  632.5 KB
    Name:  IMG_3478.jpg
Views: 413
Size:  108.7 KB
    Name:  IMG_3418.jpg
Views: 427
Size:  1.04 MB

Wicked, I know the exact spot! Seems like you guys walk the exact spots I do haha, great spot if your willing to go the distance and it sure is breath taking!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    hotsoup likes this.

Found that wee head wayyyy up in the middle of nowhere and thought it would look better at the under decorated hutt

hotsoup likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TianBotha View Post
    Found that wee head wayyyy up in the middle of nowhere and thought it would look better at the under decorated hutt

Haha, was spooky falling asleep to that in the moonlight! @TianBotha
    TianBotha likes this.

Great result just a shame the big boy eluded you, you can always have another go at him.
    hotsoup likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TianBotha View Post

Have you stayed at Greenpoint hut before @TianBotha? I want to do a biv mission heading out from greenpoint...
    TianBotha likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hotsoup View Post
    Have you stayed at Greenpoint hut before @TianBotha? I want to do a biv mission heading out from greenpoint...
    Yea it has been a real tip in the past as people bring heaps in and wont take it out after the big walk in! its about 8km, stick to the right hand side as you head up the valley and try not cross the river as youll have to jump back across and the water level gets pretty high. youll be fine if you have decent warm kit for winter but in summer you can be sweet with just some thermals in your pack and a decent jacket. youll see heaps up past green point