Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
Like Tree261Likes

Thread: Scent control.

Quote Originally Posted by kimjon View Post
    Oi! What's with the gingercism? Gingers are people too

BTW I must have fluked this deer, as I had on bright orange clothes, not to mention my equally high-viz ginger hair, plus I hadn't had a shower for a few days... and my mate smokes like train.

But seriously, I think you guys are over thinking it far to much. Just get out there and follow the basic advice already offered and you'll get deer...it's not that difficult.

Kj
    Nothing against them at all ...... I'm married to one, three of my uncles are Blue,Bricky and Red..........I know how quickly they can arc up, and are normally stubborn to a point when it comes to discuss something
    7mmsaum, kimjon, Boaraxa and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by oraki View Post
    Nothing against them at all ...... I'm married to one, three of my uncles are Blue,Bricky and Red..........I know how quickly they can arc up, and are normally stubborn to a point when it comes to discuss something
    Well I am not ginger ..so where to from here? Other than enjoy your day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Bowtech Carbon knight & Fuel
    Deer crossing SD hunter micro diameter shafts, pin nocks, fusion 2.1" vanes
    Helix copy broad heads, Wasp drone & hammer broad heads
    Rip Cord drop away
    Scott Rhino release & Octane 5" stabiliser

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwininja View Post
    ..so where to from here?
    How about back the way you came.
    Pointer and kiwijames like this.

Quote Originally Posted by SlowElliot View Post
    How about back the way you came.
    Haha ..nah your all good

Rip Cord drop away

How can this tosser have a join date of July 2014? I haven't been on the forum that long but this guys approach is a different form of weird
    WhistlingWings, tetawa and Zamkiwi like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    How can this tosser have a join date of July 2014? I haven't been on the forum that long but this guys approach is a different form of weird
    Just share your experiences all will be well ..as I said I am reading ..bring me into conversation then I will reply ..if I have a genuine question i will ask 223nut

Rip Cord drop away

When I get home I will post up pics of what I use ..cool thing for me is that we have come along way in technology in everything we do ..I bet these guys are driving around in modern cars with modern gadgets (rifles boots binos etc) if they are so old school then why have latest technology if you believe old way is best ...we are in an age of convenience and more efficient ways of doing things ..don't get me wrong I play the wind in my favour as much as I can because I hunt with a bow ..no dog to track for me (I could but it takes away from my learning skills of tracking) ..it's what's makes us all unique..hunters come in many shapes and sizes so one size doesn't fit all ..

Can you answer Slowelliots genuine question as to what you are using for scent control. We are all interested to know.
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Quote Originally Posted by Pengy View Post
    Can you answer Slowelliots genuine question as to what you are using for scent control. We are all interested to know.
    Fair enough question ..in did pm SlowElliot what I do use since no one was keen on it he can confirm that ..but a genuine question asked if you want me to post up I will

Rip Cord drop away

When I get home I will post up pics of what I use ..cool thing for me is that we have come along way in technology in everything we do ..I bet these guys are driving around in modern cars with modern gadgets (rifles boots binos etc) if they are so old school then why have latest technology if you believe old way is best ...we are in an age of convenience and more efficient ways of doing things ..don't get me wrong I play the wind in my favour as much as I can because I hunt with a bow ..no dog to track for me (I could but it takes away from my learning skills of tracking) ..it's what's makes us all unique..hunters come in many shapes and sizes so one size doesn't fit all ..

Its funny you say that about the dog, as I've found that my tracking ability increased after I got a dog. She taught me heaps, and still is.
    Nice head by the way @kimjon, (the stag)
    Last edited by kidmac42; 12-02-2017 at 03:48 PM.
    Gibo likes this.
    Ya can't park there mate.

The experiments I've read that studied scent control used sniffer dogs, rather than deer, but the information is still valuable. Basically, the dog still found the scent-disguised human, it just took them a little longer. In the case of deer, I can't see that making much of a difference, as a deer isn't trying to find you, it's trying to escape at the slightest hint of danger. Also, the scent-disguised humans used for experimentation hadn't been climbing hills and pumping out sweat, nor were they holding the bundle of unfamiliar smells that is a rifle.
    stingray likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by kidmac42 View Post
    Its funny you say that about the dog, as I've found that my tracking ability increased after I got a dog. She taught me heaps, and still is.
    +1 there. Wouldn't have found a few of my animals without the dog

Quote Originally Posted by kidmac42 View Post
    As stated in another comment was really to do with pig hunting more so then a dog for deer hunting as I have an associate who is a rifle hunter and has a deer dog (last 2 months) which is a great success ..

Rip Cord drop away

Quote Originally Posted by Solo View Post
    The experiments I've read that studied scent control used sniffer dogs, rather than deer, but the information is still valuable. Basically, the dog still found the scent-disguised human, it just took them a little longer. In the case of deer, I can't see that making much of a difference, as a deer isn't trying to find you, it's trying to escape at the slightest hint of danger. Also, the scent-disguised humans used for experimentation hadn't been climbing hills and pumping out sweat, nor were they holding the bundle of unfamiliar smells that is a rifle.
    Is that the experiment with a guy hiding in 1 of 9 barrels and the dog was unsure at 5m so had to go back for a second sniff?? That's the one I have read ..cheers for your comment

Rip Cord drop away

Is that the experiment with a guy hiding in 1 of 9 barrels and the dog was unsure at 5m so had to go back for a second sniff?? That's the one I have read ..cheers for your comment

It might not be the exact same one, but pretty much. It seems to be a common format for testing/training dog noses.

Quote Originally Posted by Pengy View Post
    To wear Blaze or not, that is the six million dollar question. If that doesn't start a sh** fight, just ask what calibre to get for Deer hunting
    I can't wait until we start getting told the merits of a 2" broad head over that of a 270 sp
    WhistlingWings likes this.