Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Scrub Bull

Scrub Bull

A couple of happy snaps. I ended up using the 404 jeffery in a custom 98 Mauser take-down 400grain Woodleigh Solid followed with a 400grain round nose soft point for good measure the solid broke both shoulders with the soft nose penetrating through the shoulder and stopping his pump. The first shot was at 50 meters with the second shot right behind it. I have a good haul of meat so I will give some of those recipes ago.Name:  DSC_7103.jpg
Views: 18368
Size:  1.10 MB

Cheers Rob

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quick Rob. whip the head and skin off that photo before the guys that are debating the legalities of shooting feral cattle in NZ in another thread jump into this one. Ha ha ha ha
    Gibo likes this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

It is in the freezer Rushy I will get it to the taxidermist after this rotation. I will have to learn how to photoshop.

What are you doing with the head and hide mate?

How far did he go after the shot? bugger looks like he's got Hereford in him but surely not up there?

did you go with a guide or on private? the old man is keen to chase one if that was a guided one or a cocky that would let someone pay to chase one it'd be good if you could pass on the details.

I'll have to scrounge up a few jerky recipes and send em through to ya as well, keep the flank free, it makes cracking jerky.

It was private property and they are hereford cross, they are a bit cranky and do they cover some ground in a short amount of time. The first shot dropped him with the second shot taking out the heart I will reduce some more photos and put them up.

Cheers Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Bavarian_Hunter View Post
    What are you doing with the head and hide mate?

How far did he go after the shot? bugger looks like he's got Hereford in him but surely not up there?

did you go with a guide or on private? the old man is keen to chase one if that was a guided one or a cocky that would let someone pay to chase one it'd be good if you could pass on the details.

I'll have to scrounge up a few jerky recipes and send em through to ya as well, keep the flank free, it makes cracking jerky.

Nice work and beautiful rifle mate, i would love a .404 Jeffery some day!
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

Another photo, this bull was taken by a mate I was hunting with using a 338-06 Ackley built on a pre 64 Winchester action, 300grain round nose Woddleigh at a distance of 40 metres it worked very well. Name:  DSC_7082.jpg
Views: 4346
Size:  1.10 MB

Cheers Rob

Good on ya, I shot a scrub bull in the Northern Territory last week, a goody so getting it mounted.
    Shot it from 80 yards with my 300 win mag 180gr accubonds. 1st shot right in the boiler room, he staggered a little, more like a shrugg of the shoulders so gave him another one, he took one step but didn't look to pleased so gave him another two shots and he hit the deck like a sack of spuds.
    After whipping the cape and head of him we took one back steak of him, actually bloody surprised how heavy it was, left the rest to rot as trying to snot some horse's.

Hmmm squire judgng by the size of em Id guess you wouldnt be undergunned packing a 105mm howitzer.Actually that rifle is a very sweet piece(though the bull probably wouldnt think so).
    whats the meat like on these fellas ,does it get a bit tough as they get a little older &crankier??(like me ,says my mrs!!)

Got a healthy bull last weekend with my Ruger Frontier .338 Federal. 200gn Speer at about 70-80 metres went through the shoulder and bullet lodged under the hide in the off shoulder. Dropped him but he got a headshot finisher to make sure. Way too far from help to take chances. I'd just shot a younger bull at about 40 metres and hadn't seen this one lurking in the semi-jungle/lantana in the background. Name:  P1010298.jpeg
Views: 2167
Size:  173.2 KBName:  P1010304.jpeg
Views: 2358
Size:  106.8 KB

Carried out about 15 kg meat which made some nice mince, jerky and dog food.
    rob270 likes this.

good meat !!! congratulations !!!!

thats a cool little short rifle there 338fed, how longs the barrel?

Nice bulls and even nicer rifles guys, thanks for sharing.....
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Quote Originally Posted by Bill999 View Post
    thats a cool little short rifle there 338fed, how longs the barrel?
    16.5 inches. Best scrub rifle ever. And the cartridge doesn't lose much due to the short barrel. With max load of 47gn AR2206H, I'm chronying 2590fps with the 200gn speers in Federal brass. You definitely see the difference in hitting power on pigs compared to a 308 with lighter projectiles.

Name:  DSC_6950.jpg
Views: 5699
Size:  1.05 MB another scrubber in good condition.