Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Small debate

Small debate

Ok so I have been offered the oppourtunity to go on a friends parents farm to shoot goats and rabbits. The real reson for this is three very good friends want to have a shoot and for me to show them etc.

I only have two guns. One e cat ar15 and a p14 .303. I obviously cant use the ar15 as this is illegal to hand to others now but am thinking the .303 is really overkill on goats and rabbits also. Or will it be ok to use on goats?. I will be the only one there with a FAL so it's only one gun between the group. Thoughts on .303 being used to knock some goats over?

If ok headshots only?

use the 303 don't let your mates try doing it if they are not experienced at shooting just get them to do the heart lung shots
    RULE 4: IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET BEYOND ALL DOUBT

To be a Human is to be an Alien, ask the animals, We invade this world and we are killing it, we are destroying the earth and nobody gives a fuck except for the animals

Plenty goats been shot with the 303. Hope u not going to eat what's left of the rabbits tho. Go for it.

Goats are not that smart.
    They will not know the difference between a 303 and a real goat calibre, the 243.
    veitnamcam likes this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Sweet as. Will do. Cheers for the messages. Just have to find some ammo only have two packets of highland and 50 ww2 tracer rounds :s always wanted to see how those go

I've smacked loads of goats over with a .308. I'm not sure if I ever overkilled one, but I'm pretty damn sure that I never underkilled one

Goats are good to eat too.

Please do not use the tracers on animals save them for the targets and don't shoot them in dry conditions.

To be a Human is to be an Alien, ask the animals, We invade this world and we are killing it, we are destroying the earth and nobody gives a fuck except for the animals

I shot a Goat with my 303 earlier this year, was using some 180gr soft points and was hoping for and exit wound the size of my face.
    Shot one at about 40m through the shoulder and to my disappointment my 223 did more damage on the inside, and there was very little exit wound.

Killed it dead as though, and it made a great roast and some awesome shanks.
    But the star of the show was the chops, set the BBQ on fire with the amount of fat coming off them, probably the best "lamb" chops I have ever had.

So yeah 303 will sweet.
    Easy to get close to goats, so even crappy Highland ammo will be more than accurate enough.

res
    303 is awesome on goats.
    Using Tapatalk

Nice. Looking forward to that. Oh definately not using tracer rounds on goats. More to see how they go long range and hit some gongs or something

Shot a possum with a 308 tracer
    Definitely an overkill and definitely smoked it

1 303 between all of you will have pretty good control measures so go for it. Let us know how you get on
    rs200nz likes this.

My first rifle was a 303, its what I learnt to hunt with at 13 years old, brilliant calibre and a great learning weapon.
    rs200nz likes this.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    My first rifle was a 303, its what I learnt to hunt with at 13 years old, brilliant calibre and a great learning weapon.
    My first rifle was also a 303 it kicked the shitters out of me so I sold it and got a 243, have tried having other 303's but keep ending up with smle's that have been neglected. I still want to have a 303 in the cupboard but it would have to be on a p14 action
    rs200nz likes this.

My one was brand new still wrapped in grease paper, the brass butt plate didn't help with recoil but I got used to it, its now shortened and sporterised with a better stock.
    rs200nz likes this.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

res
    You sporterised a brand new lee enfeild?
    I have had people get upset that I unwrapped one to shoot it.
    john m and rs200nz like this.
    Using Tapatalk