Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Spotting scope or camera?

Bought a Panasonic HC-V380 full HD video camera for under $1000 last year. It has a 90X zoom. Took it away goat hunting in october. While sighting in the rifles my buddy and I had the camera set up next to us on the bench. With the camera turned on ( but not recording) we were able to use the zoom function to see bullet holes on paper out to 400m+ with the 204 , 22-250 no problem. It has the ability to take still shots as well if you want.

Bought a MeFOTO mini tripod to use with it. Camera with tripod attached fits in my pack. The tripod is small enough to brace on my chest while filming to stop the shakes. Only takes about 30 seconds to get it out of the pack and ready for filming.

Now it has become essential equipment when a range trip is scheduled and the spotting scope stays at home.

As mentioned, no point buying a high zoom camera without a decent tripod. I've always used a slik tripod with my cameras. Same as this, it's older but taken the abuse I have thrown at it being strapped on the side of my pack.

Tripods - SLIK Compact-XL - SLRgear.com!

Also, similar to other guys, for me a camera essentially does two jobs and is pretty lightweight. I'd love a big spotter, but cost/weight/bulk takes them off the list for me.

Here's a pic of the big old 10 I shot last week, which verified straight away we needed to get closer. This photo is taken from 4.6kms away according to Google Earth.

Name:  IMG_5518.jpg
Views: 1313
Size:  1.08 MB

A trick to getting clearer shots is to set your camera on a 2 second self timer, so you are not moving it at the same time you hit the shutter button. Also, only use the optical zoom, take a shot, then zoom in on the picture itself. Rather than use digital zoom at time of taking the photo.

I've also found having the camera in video mode and recording while zoomed right in will help with keeping the camera in focus and clearer to watch/see for longer.
    Last edited by JoshC; 13-03-2017 at 12:34 PM.
    Shearer, oraki, 223nut and 1 others like this.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Another way to steady the tripod is to take a small stuff bag, but a few rocks in it an hang it off the tripod. This will increase the mass of the tripod and make it steadier, not much use of no rocks around though.

how do these cheap ultra zooms fare in low light though? they seem to good to be true considering theres not much glass and they use tiny sensors? ive never played with one though

I think the Sx 50 is f3.4 at best and reduces with full zoom. Not the best just on dusk but ok most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by XBoltstalker View Post
    Yep just found myself a nikon p900 that im gonna purchase and use as a double. 83x zoom. Theres some pretty impressive vids on youtube of the camera zoom. Thanks guys.
    In the process of a nikon p900 vs canon sx60hs. The Nikon is significantly bigger,heavier and more expensive. The canon seems to give better picture quality but 65x vs the nikons 83. Both Bluetooth to the I phone but I think itl be the canon for my money
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin

Once you start getting really high mag then everything must be perfect for a good photo. Often it is the air quality/mirage that wrecks the high mag photo quality. I'd be looking at the make/quality of the lens and the maximum aperture size. The Sx 60 has a max aperture range of 3.4-6.5 while the P900 has 2.8-6.5. All things being equal the wider aperture range will be better at low light levels for the P900 (from my limited photographic memory/knowledge)
    Jit likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshC View Post
    As mentioned, no point buying a high zoom camera without a decent tripod. I've always used a slik tripod with my cameras. Same as this, it's older but taken the abuse I have thrown at it being strapped on the side of my pack.

Tripods - SLIK Compact-XL - SLRgear.com!

Also, similar to other guys, for me a camera essentially does two jobs and is pretty lightweight. I'd love a big spotter, but cost/weight/bulk takes them off the list for me.

Here's a pic of the big old 10 I shot last week, which verified straight away we needed to get closer. This photo is taken from 4.6kms away according to Google Earth.

Attachment 65427

A trick to getting clearer shots is to set your camera on a 2 second self timer, so you are not moving it at the same time you hit the shutter button. Also, only use the optical zoom, take a shot, then zoom in on the picture itself. Rather than use digital zoom at time of taking the photo.

I've also found having the camera in video mode and recording while zoomed right in will help with keeping the camera in focus and clearer to watch/see for longer.
    What camera did you use for this Josh?

Quote Originally Posted by stug View Post
    Once you start getting really high mag then everything must be perfect for a good photo. Often it is the air quality/mirage that wrecks the high mag photo quality. I'd be looking at the make/quality of the lens and the maximum aperture size. The Sx 60 has a max aperture range of 3.4-6.5 while the P900 has 2.8-6.5. All things being equal the wider aperture range will be better at low light levels for the P900 (from my limited photographic memory/knowledge)
    I asked that question and the reply was something like" difference would be minor" but everything is a compromise.
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin

Quote Originally Posted by XBoltstalker View Post
    What camera did you use for this Josh?
    Canon SX60hs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Jit
    Is any using a Nikon P610 or lumix FZ72

Am blaming you guys on here. Went and brought a canon sx60 today up graded from my sx30. Any settings you reccomend using @JoshC ? Also recommended camera cases that add a bit of protection?

Nice one, im still awaiting mine via postage, hopefully it arrives this coming week so i can have a play!

Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    Yeah sx50 is the one I got. As your video shows can tell a hind from a stag at a km, maybe not tell how many points but gives you a good idea
    Same camera as this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prLIGThxn3Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYfJMZcAyYg

Quote Originally Posted by bigbear View Post
    Am blaming you guys on here. Went and brought a canon sx60 today up graded from my sx30. Any settings you reccomend using @JoshC ? Also recommended camera cases that add a bit of protection?
    Have a look on youtube to learn how to tweak settings for best results, that's how I'm learning to use mine.

Found these the other day - thought it'd be worth trying out;

https://bushbuckoutdoors.com/collect...oof-camera-bag