Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By Rusky
  • 1 Post By Carpe Diem
  • 1 Post By Carpe Diem
  • 1 Post By Gibo
  • 1 Post By MSL
  • 2 Post By oneipete

Thread: Te Tapui A

Te Tapui A

Any good news out of this Fallow block over the Ballot period?

Have got a permit for Sunday, myself and a couple of the lads from rugby are going for a wander, hopefully no1 stumbled accross the clearing I found while getting lost in this jungle back in Nov.

Quote Originally Posted by StagRyan View Post
    Any good news out of this Fallow block over the Ballot period?

Have got a permit for Sunday, myself and a couple of the lads from rugby are going for a wander, hopefully no1 stumbled accross the clearing I found while getting lost in this jungle back in Nov.
    It will be dry and noisey. Hard blocks to hunt in my opinion. Hunt the farm edges as they won't be far away. Sitting and watching from an advantage point if you can find one may be a good option. Not a lot of other info I can offer really.
    StagRyan likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusky View Post
    It will be dry and noisey. Hard blocks to hunt in my opinion. Hunt the farm edges as they won't be far away. Sitting and watching from an advantage point if you can find one may be a good option. Not a lot of other info I can offer really.
    Thanks, yea she was a bugger when I chased the hind up the hill was dry leaves everywhere, hopefully this misty rain has managed to get into the undergrowth over the last few weeks. Will be letting you know how we go.

Have had good luck in the past following the fence margins to the north from the track entry then past the big bite (you'll see on the map what I mean)!theres a couple of pads in the past up top of a false top to the ridge up there and sme good ground in behind. There's a few pheasants in there that can stuff things for you too in the scrubby stuff on the margins.

Managed a few hinds sitting chewing in the bracken on the edges after having a feed earlier on the lush grass edges.

It was banged up pretty good by spotlighters 2 years ago prior to the handover to the local IWI but there still should be a few in there. If it's real dry and hot they seem to be in the big fern and swampy area to the south of he block for obvious reasons. Far side of the block from the track entry and north in the bracken at the bush edges is also a good wee spot to catch them out in.
    Hope it helps.
    StagRyan likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Carpe Diem View Post
    Have had good luck in the past following the fence margins to the north from the track entry then past the big bite (you'll see on the map what I mean)!theres a couple of pads in the past up top of a false top to the ridge up there and sme good ground in behind. There's a few pheasants in there that can stuff things for you too in the scrubby stuff on the margins.

Managed a few hinds sitting chewing in the bracken on the edges after having a feed earlier on the lush grass edges.

It was banged up pretty good by spotlighters 2 years ago prior to the handover to the local IWI but there still should be a few in there. If it's real dry and hot they seem to be in the big fern and swampy area to the south of he block for obvious reasons. Far side of the block from the track entry and north in the bracken at the bush edges is also a good wee spot to catch them out in.
    Hope it helps.
    Thanks gives us another couple of options if our first plan doesn't pull through

No boots in there either ....tennis shoes and heavy socks overtop or wetsuit booties are suggested
    StagRyan likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Carpe Diem View Post
    No boots in there either ....tennis shoes and heavy socks overtop or wetsuit booties are suggested
    Do Karate shoes work?
    BRADS likes this.

MSL
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    Do Karate shoes work?
    No, genuine ninja boots do though
    StagRyan likes this.

If that clearing of yours has a stream though it then yes we visited it on mothers day. .
    Sitting at the edge of it just smack on daybreak we had 5-6 within 50 metres or so all around us but we were in the clear at the bottom of the bowl and they were in the thicker stuff looking down on us .We sat for 30-40 mins doing our best to get them in close,id say the stag that crashed off was 7-8 metres away and got a glimpse of him at one stage but nothing worth risking a shot over.

Had a wander around the area after and seems the stag spends a lot of time there, about a 3m sq areas all trodden up,once we heard an antler knock on wood we tried the same,he was interested as he came in close,once he scented us he bailed as noisy as he could.Talk about being on edge as it came closer n closer..

Man that place is interesting,huge areas choked with supplejack then huge swathes all clear cept for those grasses.

Cant wait to get back. Been in there reccing about once a week since last season shut.
    Carpe Diem and StagRyan like this.
    Guy Fawks the only man to enter parliament with the interests of the people in mind

Managed to find my spot again and this time load it onto the GPS, also found a n easier way of getting to it, rather than the way we walked in yesterday and walking along the south stream like I did back in Nov.
    Your not wrong about it going from open to closed very quickly. Was amazed how open it is around the south branch of the track.
    No animals on the clearing this time, but there was possibly one sneaking around us as we came up the spur from the stream.
    Went for a wander along the north bush edge in the arvo but began t rain and the legs were a bit nackaered after rugby on sat so went back admitting defeat. Def a lot of clear bush within that fence line. Didn't venture into that false top Carpe diem was speaking of, but saw his bracken on the bush edge.
    Sign wise was the odd hoof print a few scrapes and the odd shit a few days old.
    Thinking those who were in the ballot must have done a good job, the few shot guns going off on day break probably didn't help much either.

Carpe Diem those Pheasants sure put the shits up ya, one waited until id just walked past it before flapping off, the Kereru aren't much better.

Thanks for all the insights guys, hopefully one day it pays off, and soon I hope!

On reading that, I remembered about the Kereru. We must have had around 30 or more around us when we were waiting at the clearing.Flapping all around us to the extent we use them to cover the noise of our movements.
    Do more go A than B ? ive been into B a fair bit and the deersies seem to be in only 2 areas mainly. Never seen any prints out of those areas.More pidgeons than deer it seems though.
    Guy Fawks the only man to enter parliament with the interests of the people in mind

Quote Originally Posted by oneipete View Post
    On reading that, I remembered about the Kereru. We must have had around 30 or more around us when we were waiting at the clearing.Flapping all around us to the extent we use them to cover the noise of our movements.
    Do more go A than B ? ive been into B a fair bit and the deersies seem to be in only 2 areas mainly. Never seen any prints out of those areas.More pidgeons than deer it seems though.
    Was my second time in A, have not been to B, but was informed of the same info for B - a wee clearing straight up from the style passed a creek or something.

Haha yea we tried the same tactic on the kereru, Tuis were also chasing each other about and making a racket, the Nikau palms are in berry so they were eating those and dropping them. Also plenty of totara berry/seeds on the ground (not to be confused with deer poo)

Emailed my report off to the DoC lady, got this interesting reply.

Thanks for your return - not late at all!

Glad to hear that there are some deer in there.

Sorry to hear that there are STILL some deer in there.

Quote Originally Posted by oneipete View Post
    Emailed my report off to the DoC lady, got this interesting reply.

Thanks for your return - not late at all!

Glad to hear that there are some deer in there.

Sorry to hear that there are STILL some deer in there.
    hahah Kim is pretty classic, this is what she said to me: "Thanks for the bird update! (Sorry no deer…)
    Yep - the black and white bird would be a North island tomtit (smaller) or a North island robin (larger). Excellent!!
    [And if you had a gamebird hunting licence and a (free) DOC gamebird permit you could go for the pheasants J - shotgun only though…]

And, yep, just email me back with your next hunting request."