Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Projects
  • 1 Post By Cigar
  • 1 Post By Projects

Thread: Te Tapui A & B ballot sucess

Cool Te Tapui A & B ballot sucess

Hi everyone,

Just recieved my balloted permit for hunting in Tapui A block at the start of march and B block at the start of April (YAY).
    Ive never been into either area before and would be really apprecative of any honest advice anyone could give me about the area/hunting in it.
    I have been trying to do some research into the area but it seems there isnt a lot to be found aside from that the deer mostly prefer the bush edge close to the farmland and to bring some milk for the cornflake leaf litter covering the ground.
    Seems like always any local knowledge is important - is there anything as a hunter I need to be aware of down there? Do and donts? Good access points? Local tapu etc?
    Im good at keeping secrets so please dont hesitate with the advice - PM me if you want.

THANKS

Spent a couple days in there only saw a very small yearling 30m in from the fenceline, hunt the edges as the bush gets thick as hell in places

Its not reknown for the number of animals in there

Anyone else apply for this ballot this year around? I managed to just get mine in before the cut off date. I thought there's no harm in having somewhere close, mid week or weekend to get out for a walk in the bush. Went into Te Miro last year, thought i might try for the Tepui A block this year.

I asked Jil at the Doc office to send me any maps for the A block to distinguish which was the north and south block. I assumed it was just A and B block, but never realized there was a large Tribal Permit area which has the hiking track on. Learnt that and also seems to be a tiny access to the A block next to the small bridge.

Name:  te tapui A.jpg
Views: 530
Size:  394.0 KB

I will private message you both with a good area within the bush. In terms of te Tapui A Access is Via the track. the block are otherwise surrounded by private property so you'd be wanting permission to enter at the bottom edge by the bridge. The Bush can be very tight in places but is a lot of "fun". Agree animals are in low numbers but are there, and there re some areas that are wide open with sign. Also heard of seeing small groups on the bush edge in bracken fern at first and last light up towards the bite marked in red, beneath that the bush is quite open, but haven't done much exploring through this part of the bush. Nor have I hunted here in the Rut when Bucks are cranky and boisterous.
    best of luck fellas!

Thanks for that, I'd be interested in some info within block A to take a look at. I now see on maps that there's a small paddock to cross at the bridge, bugger cause survey maps show it a pinch point between the 2 properties and the doc title goes to the road edge. Might try my luck in asking for access.

I had a plan of accessing the block via the track around the 360m contour, follow that west into the block towards the bite mark and zig zag south east hit as many of the flattish areas finish off with the fringes of the "no hunting" farmers paddock in the south east and pop out at the bridge. Walk back to the car park to finish.
    StagRyan likes this.

Gone but not forgotten
    I put an application in, I had a few walks in there last year, scared a few deer and found a few scrapes that would be worth checking this season. One of them had a 20kg salt lick on it and a trail cam last time I was there! So tempting to moon it...
    StagRyan likes this.

So where about might i find this salt lick? I'll moon the trail cam! haha
    WallyR likes this.