Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Te Tapui info

Te Tapui info

Hiya all,
    Was lucky enough to score a ballot to Te Tapui (between Cambridge and Matamata) for me and the old man, but as we've never been in there before, we know very little about the area.
    Any of you been in there and could share some info?

Good one Peril,My info will be no good, 30years old,the loop track to the trig will still be there,used to be quite a few animals.
    Real guns start with the number 3 or bigger and make two holes, one in and one out

I got a couple of days in there last year on my own. DONT believe the DOC boundarys as shown on the map that they send you, or on WAMS website. There are several very nice grass areas on the bush edge that just scream Fallow at you, but when you actually get to them, they are fenced off (leased) as part of farms.
    I did find some sign and managed to spook one animal over 4 days total, but as a very new hunter I was not really surprised at my lack of success. There is a very nice viewing platform at the summit that makes for a good overnight spot (yes I know you are not supposed to camp, but a twisted my knee and it was getting too dark to get back to truck safely).
    Good luck.

So has NO-ONE else been into Te Tapui or is all the info to secretive to share?
    This'll only be my 3rd deer stalking trip, and the old man is getting too long in the tooth (his words, not mine) to go too far from home.

I had a chat with a farm manager who is on the north eastern side and he has only seen two deer on the bush edge in the time he has been there. When I have been working on this farm in January, I have been sweeping the spotlight over the bush edges and the small clearings and have seen nothing. I also had a chat with an old mate that poached the area years ago and he said the most animals are in the south west.
    Which is worse, ignorance or apathy...I don't know and don't care.

I was chatting to a lady yesterday, who farmed there a few years back, and she trapped aprox 150 on her farm in the SE corner. The deer now reside on her Coromandel farm.