Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: TWO Questions

TWO Questions

Please be candid and tell me straight.

I'm 68 now, have a metal and plastic shoulder and very limited use of my left arm...about 25%...

I have back troubles and broke some bones at L-3,4, and 5.

I need to get into decent shape again and am badly out of shape right now. I'll be back farming this summer (northern Hemi summer), and that goes a long way toward getting the blubber off and the muscles awake again.

Money is a real limitation.

Is there any use in trying to fulfill my dream of hunting in your great country, or should I be d@mned glad I've done all the things I have over the years. Is the flight there a killer?

PLEASE, don't hold back and tell me straight.
    Hunt with Class and Classics

“I have more promises than a vestal virgin, less time than a parking meter and less results than a sterile sire.”

The flight is boring, sitting on your bum for hours, but the planes are awesome take plenty of walks to stretch, get a bulk head seat. Or upgrade to a better class than cattle!
    Danny likes this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Oh and Seeing NZ is worth the pain
    Pointer, Beaker, Danny and 1 others like this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

If your not fast your last Shootm's Avatar
    It would depend on the species you want to hunt for a start. There are a couple of guys in wheel chairs on here that hunt so anything is possible.
    Danny likes this.

I Have Sexdaily. I mean Dyslexia! Fcuk!

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Flying the twelve hours or so from LA to Auckland will be a pain in the arse but it always is, although I would expect that with your lower back issues it will be worse for you than most. Still I reckon it will be worth it as we have a lovely country here and folks are mostly very hospitable. You are way too young to roll over and give up on life so come on over and fulfill your dream. There are plenty of members on here that could probably show you the ropes on public land.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    Oh and Seeing NZ is worth the pain
    Double like
    Dan M

I'm sure you could find somewhere to hunt here. Bound to be some good buggers to take you out.
    keneff likes this.

Plus bring some chev parts over with you
    Need a few

Iv been to the UK a few times the best thing I found to help with long flights is grandmars sleeping pill,s that's not the brand but the source !! there great I stay up long enough to have a feed pop a pill & lights out for a good 4-5 hours makes all the difference along with ear plugs neck brace & blindfold !
    Pengy likes this.

there will be ample opportunities for you to hunt over here, you dont have to do the crazy 30 mile 5 day expeditions you see on tv to hunt around here theres plenty of places for day hunts.

Quote Originally Posted by luv2safari View Post

I'm 68 now, have a metal and plastic shoulder and very limited use of my left arm...about 25%...

I need to get into decent shape again and am badly out of shape right now. I'll be back farming this summer (northern Hemi summer), and that goes a long way toward getting the blubber off and the muscles awake again.

Is there any use in trying to fulfill my dream of hunting in your great country, or should I be d@mned glad I've done all the things I have over the years. Is the flight there a killer?

Start by looking at the cost of flights.
    You're in Nevada? Your best option is direct to Auckland NZ, out of San Francisco or Los Angeles, via AirNZ.
    AirNZ offers the only direct flights from the West Coast of the USA.
    Or via Hawaii with Hawaiian Airlines if you don't think you'll manage the direct flight.
    Count on a 12 hr direct flight.
    Then factor in internal flights to get you to your intended hunting area.

B
    Beaker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by luv2safari View Post

If you don't do it you will never fulfill your dream, sounds like you've been through enough pain already so it can only get better. There's lots of good buggers on here that will point you in the right direction.

plenty of "behind the wire" or even a few not fenced but plurry tame outfits that can get you to an animal via vechile and farm tracks...they will cost a bit but its all a matter of what you have in mind to do/hunt and how you want to do it.
    a good bugger with private land access or a farmer themselves will have options for reds and fallow maybe a pig ,definitely a wallaby,possum,hare,rabbit,ducks n geese. a thar or chammy will be harder to arrange...thar could be easiest of the two.

First: don't give up. I recently had a total hipjoint replacement followed by a major infection that took 4 months to clean up, followed by a stroke and I"M about to pick up my new rifle for a stalk in the roar. NOPE. Don't give up
    sako75, Pointer, GWH and 4 others like this.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by keneff View Post
    First: don't give up. I recently had a total hipjoint replacement followed by a major infection that took 4 months to clean up, followed by a stroke and I"M about to pick up my new rifle for a stalk in the roar. NOPE. Don't give up
    On ya Keneff.
    mikee likes this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms