Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree18Likes
  • 8 Post By waitakstalker
  • 2 Post By Daggers_187
  • 2 Post By ANTSMAN
  • 6 Post By waitakstalker

Thread: Waipakihi June 2016

Waipakihi June 2016

Hi all,

Just thought I'd share my trip from Queens birthday weekend.
    The weather forecast was mint so took the Friday off to make it a worthwhile trip.
    On the way we had to stop at Hunting and fishing Taupo to grab a few things and was a little disheartened to hear from the staff that lots of animals have been seen but not shot up the river recently, oh well not to worry.
    Arrived at the car park and no other vehicles! Excellent!

On the way in and about an hour from camp we thought we would let at a call not hoping for much....carried on noisily until my mate yells DEER! Fuck! I dont see it and it runs back in the bush.....

We arrived at camp not long before dark. To my disgust there was a ton of rubbish left behind from the previous party, really fucking disappointing that people are still doing that shit! Sort it out guys! We dont need to give the authority's reasons to keep us out of the bush!

Next morning it was cold! Water bottle outside had frozen, camel back was frozen!

Left camp at a leisurely 9:00 am and spooked our first deer within 20mins! Good start, sort of....
    Less than an hour later my mate had let out a call, we had both stopped watching in different directions....all of a sudden BOOMFA! I swung around and looked at my mate and thought what the fuck are you up too? Little did I know I silly stag had come cruising down the hill within a minute of the call! First deer down early on the first day!
    Gutted the animal and decided to carry on and get in on the way back. After another hour or so my mate thought we were starting to get too far from his animal and went back to drag it back to camp, I decided to carry on...

Half an hour later I found my self in a good vantage point with lots of open Beech in front, found a good rest and let out a call, less than two minutes and another silly stag pops over the hill in full view 50m away,he goes out of site giving me time to get set, 30 seconds later he pops back out broadside and looks in my way...BOOMFA! He crashes off down the hill and I'm pretty sure hes hit but not certain.

Radio me mate, he's heard the shot, and let him know whats going on. I sit for ten minutes then wonder over to where he was.... blood and I find him 20m away dead as! Its around lunch time and two on the ground! Stoked!

Rest of the days spent carving them up and getting our wet firewood ready. We roast the whole carcass that evening and pick at the good bits.

Next morning and we try somewhere further down river but almost no sign at all, bugger.
    We are due to stay another night but reckon that one animal each is already guna make the walk a killer and decide to walk out that night.

4 hours later were back at the truck and on the way home with some meat!

Awesome weekend!
    sako75, Blaser, Gibo and 5 others like this.

Nice one, it can get absolutely freezing cold in that bloody river during winter.

Nice work!

Good stuff

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk
    Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz

Awesome!
    "I heard Jesus did cocaine on a night out. Eyes wide-open, dialated, but he's fine now. And if his father ever finds out, then he'd probably knock his lights out...
    Gets a little messy in heaven "
    - Venbee

Excellent work. Shame about the rubbish

In there in a couple of weeks with my ultra-long range rig and my thermal image unit.

How far up the river can I get my quad?
    J3553 and Hen like this.

haha Fkn Quad, you mean quads-legs? bahahahahahaa
    J3553 and Daggers_187 like this.

Interesting question.....Ive never been come in from the river end. And cant say id be that keen on the place being spoiled by quad access. Nothing like a bit of hard work...plenty of places to take the quad that have already been damaged by man, best leave the Kaimanawas they way they should be in my opinion.
    Blaser, tetawa, Sniper and 3 others like this.

I forgot to mention on our first morning we heard a massive bomb up! about 7:30 and someone with a semi was going nuts for 20mins! Not sure what they were up to...

Quote Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
    Nice one, it can get absolutely freezing cold in that bloody river during winter.
    Yip, would love to go back in the middle of winter but a little wary to be honest!

Quote Originally Posted by waitakstalker View Post
    Interesting question.....Ive never been come in from the river end. And cant say id be that keen on the place being spoiled by quad access. Nothing like a bit of hard work...plenty of places to take the quad that have already been damaged by man, best leave the Kaimanawas they way they should be in my opinion.
    I'm just kidding mate.

Quote Originally Posted by waitakstalker View Post
    I forgot to mention on our first morning we heard a massive bomb up! about 7:30 and someone with a semi was going nuts for 20mins! Not sure what they were up to...
    Could have been live fire in the training area? The Stab range is about 10km south of there off Paradise valley road. When they're firing those 25mms, you hear it for miles.

Quote Originally Posted by Daggers_187 View Post
    I'm just kidding mate.
    Yip was only after i replied i realized! Cheers